It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ideas for new animated laserdisc-styled game :)
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 5:06 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Fantasy styled setting ...

The attract mode begins with a dark forboding black building, some kind of prison. All of the sudden a window in the prison breaks and a lady crashes through, as if diving into water. She rolls effortlessly on the ground and uncurls into a run. Angry guards appear at arrow slights and begin firing at her. Arrows thud into the ground near her as she escapes. The gates to the prison open and a mounted party rides out after her ...

Basically she spends the game running away from the corrupt government until the end when she can finally prove her innocence and maybe overthrow the government.

One scene could be she enters a tavern and is hanging out at the bar, about to drain a pint of ale when like all the windows of the tavern break and armed guards begin clawing their way in. There could be like a tavern fight scene where she grabs a torch and starts burning guards and barely escapes as the tavern burns to the ground hehe ...

It could have a bit of crouching tiger / matrix type stuff in it where she can jump impossibly long or high distances like up trees or over buildings and stuff... that would be cool :P

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 10:46 pm 
Registered  User

Seems like a good enough idea to start with, I like the idea of it being a dark type of game. Nice to have a female lead as well for a change!
What sort of time is this set in Matt? Past present or future?
It's certainly a good base to start from.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 7:50 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

It's in the past. Fantasy type setting ...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:32 am 
Registered  User

Sounds pretty cool Matt. I get this "Cliff Hanger" (fast paced)type of gameplay in a "Time Gal" type of atmosphere. What on earth would be the name of the game- what would you call it?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:39 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

I don't know about the name Bobby.. but I am not holding my breath that a team of artists will suddenly come forward and start drawing madly to create this project :(

Offline Profile  

Post subject: legal protection not only for new projs, also for Daphne
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:22 am 
Registered  User

hi Matt,
here is the text, what I was writing to Warren:
further, I want suggest you as well to Ownby, because his and yours community get bigger and bigger, to start to "protect" your work in the way of either commercial or open-source-license. You and Ownby can let your future-way of your project open (commerical or open-source), so you have to write your license in this way, but you shall start to create a copyright and better some license to declare it official of the purpose of your project. With licencse you make it a kind of legal and protective, otherwise some private-persons or companies start to make money with your projects and if they have money, they make all rights on them.
OK, maybe there is no need now, because the LDgame-group is too small, but as it seems, it grows and grows and maybe in 2 or 4 years we are doubled or tripled. Also I read an article of software-piracy, where young people complained about quality of today´s games (xbox,pc, psp2,..), pc-games are buggy and nobody want to spend much money, some or most of the xbox, and psp2-actiongames are only boring action without a deep gameplay,... - maybe in 5 or 10 years, or earlier also the young generation find much more interests in LDgames...
:roll: [/b]

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:52 pm 
Registered  User

ok matt.... so here's your team of artists stepping forward! ..well- ok, not exactly- BUT... i am interrested in kicking off a project and it sounds like you might have a clear direction. I have a traditional animation studio and am capable of putting together a high quality product (as a hobby, don't get nervous). i am new to the forum but a HUGE fan of old laser games which i am sure lead me into animation. the big difference between a high quality product and ...you know.... is time. if we can find some people who can draw, or paint- we can definately make it work. i can get them on the path of helping finish the project without TOO much animation know how. (just picture all of the korean sweat shops who do the inbetweening for domestic projects!) let me know what you think. btw anyone else sitting on a project or idea with a clear vision- but no animation know how- drop me a line! -ZEFF

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:11 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

ZEFF wrote:
if we can find some people who can draw, or paint- we can definately make it work.

this is, as always, the hardest part :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: It's doable
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:56 am 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

Matt Ownby wrote:
It's in the past. Fantasy type setting ...

I'd need to get an assitant, but it could happen. Id' just need to stay far away from the coding aspect of it all... :wink:; 2D or 3D, either one is fine?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:06 am 
Registered  User

Matt Ownby wrote:
ZEFF wrote:
if we can find some people who can draw, or paint- we can definately make it work.

this is, as always, the hardest part :)

...what i mean is that if there are people who can draw a little but would feel terribly overwhelmed by the animation process i can help them out... heck- my wife (with VERY little art ability) has helped me with inbetweening more than a time or too...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:05 am 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

ZEFF wrote:
heck- my wife (with VERY little art ability) has helped me with inbetweening more than a time or too...

I hear that...*sigh*...tweening sucks :( . My wife would never even dream of trying to tween my work though, heck, I had some colleagues that get intimidated by my linework, so I'm usually on my own with my projects...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:52 am 
Registered  User

Has anyone considered doing the artwork in CGI? Poser is an example of a fairly flexible, low-end figure-modelling tool, and it includes the ability to animate sequences. Just a thought...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:32 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

Jackytar wrote:
Has anyone considered doing the artwork in CGI? Poser is an example of a fairly flexible, low-end figure-modelling tool, and it includes the ability to animate sequences. Just a thought...

No need for that Poser crap, keeping things traditional and clean in 2D as Mr. Bluth would do it is the current goal...

Offline Profile