It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:05 am 
Registered  User

If I make my own mpegs for a custom game, and make a storyboard with the sequence of the scenes to be played, and the buttons that need to be pressed at particular frames, and I make a frame file, then the only thing left is the rom and adding it to daphne, right?
So, my question is this:
If you were doing this, how would you go about this last step? Would you open an already emulated games rom and edit it to match the new game, or would there be an even easier way since you're dealing with mpegs and not a laserdisc and LD player? If I figure out this last step, then I'll be working on some of those conversions I mentioned earlier. Thanks -Dr. J

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:54 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

I've thought about doing this very thing and if I ever did do it, I would write a new game from scratch (similar to the seektest "game" which does not use any ROMs and yet accepts user input and controls the laserdisc player).

The advantages to doing it this way would be:
- no emulation overhead (so it would work on lower end computer)
- you could do cool video overlay stuff really easily
- you wouldn't have to reverse engineer an arcade rom to figure out how to modify the scenes
- you'd have greater control over the laserdisc player.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 12:10 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

hardcoding the new game into daphne is definitely the easier way to go. I started work on a cabinet based frontend that, like seektest, works as a new game, but I've put that on hold pending the new multigame from the laserarcade guys (laserace). I think it would be cool to match what they're doing. Why don't you join us in the ALG forever forum. What you described is exactly what we're doing in there.

The only downside I can think of to doing it with daphne is that it will only run in daphne. In other words, it could never be a rom swap on a real DL arcade board, for instance. But, that's not even really a downside for me since I run daphne in a cabinet anyway. =)

Offline Profile