It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:29 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Matt Ownby wrote:
dek wrote:

Ok, thanks for the quality assuarance. I'm looking at the source, and the monitor, and I thought the output was not up to par.

--snip--

I also have 12 of the GI Joe Episodes I've been grabbing off Cartoon Network every night. There are 20 episodes they are airing, so this may be enough source material if anyone is interested. Hopefully they continue to air it (Test runs).

I am wondering about the 480x480 ... is there no better quality to be had by a higher resolution? (like the ubiquitous 720x480 hehe)

GI Joe! yes, very cool! That would definitely bring back some memories, playing a GI Joe styled laserdisc game.

I agree on the resolution. I don't think that it needs to be any larger, but to me 480x480 seems a little square. Could the aspect ratio be tweaked a little?

I have a question for all of you Daphne developers. Could the mpeg and overlay engine from daphne be adapted for this purpose? I haven't gotten a chance to look at the source yet as I've been busy with other projects, but i was thinking that daphne's graphics engine could be stripped clean and used as the engine for a "create a laserdisc game" app with an underlying scripting engine. I've played with some display methods on my own, but I can't do any better than the daphne engine.
:)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:08 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

HowardC wrote:
I have a question for all of you Daphne developers. Could the mpeg and overlay engine from daphne be adapted for this purpose? I haven't gotten a chance to look at the source yet as I've been busy with other projects, but i was thinking that daphne's graphics engine could be stripped clean and used as the engine for a "create a laserdisc game" app with an underlying scripting engine. I've played with some display methods on my own, but I can't do any better than the daphne engine.
:)

Yeah, I have always envisioned using daphne to do a new laserdisc game.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:18 am 
Registered  User

HowardC wrote:
I agree on the resolution. I don't think that it needs to be any larger, but to me 480x480 seems a little square. Could the aspect ratio be tweaked a little?

I hope I'm not stating the obvious here, but FYI, it's not square when played back. The ascpect ratio is encoded into the MPEG and picked up when played. Daphne does this perfectly.

I substituted the opening of the show for DL's attract scene. It looks good - in fact it's kind of wierd how the TV video matches up with the LD's audio...

But I agree - a higher resolution would be better (depending on what the source DV was captured at)

Dragul[a]

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:00 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Dragul[a] wrote:
I hope I'm not stating the obvious here, but FYI, it's not square when played back. The ascpect ratio is encoded into the MPEG and picked up when played. Daphne does this perfectly.

Actually, daphne ignores the mpeg's aspect ratio and always fits the video to a 640x480 window. So if the aspect ratio happens to be 4:3 then it works perfectly :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:41 pm 
Registered  User

Just updating, got the 1st 8 episodes (minus the title for Magic Of The Wind Chimes. Someone at Boomerang cut off the end of the opening theme and didn't play the Title) All I have to do is figure out how to encode them for 720X480 using my DVCam deck via firewire. Anyone with any suggestions? I asked some of the encoders here at work and they basically blew me off. They think I'm trying to take their jobs...idiots. Anyways, once I get the next 5 episodes, I can send out the Window Dubs to anyone interested in helping out with the project. Once thats all done, I can take all the suggestions, and edit together the footage at work and then upload it for the new game.

GI Joe - Cartoon Network only did a test run of the show for 4 weeks. But, I found some guy on Ebay who made a set of the whole series on DVD. Only downside is it is 250.00 :o

I also have Captain Power on the way. 22 episodes. They are encoded @ 480 x 360 in MPEG4

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:15 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

What I do is take the source video and get the dimensions and the compression right and encode it to a simple avi... then i take something like video mage and convert it to mpeg. It works fairly well as the built in encoding in premier isn't very good. I get better results that way.

I also made some progress on a graphics engine. I've managed to display graphics over video using directshow plugins and some backbuffer editing. It's very fast and there isn't any flickering on the ati cards! But I have so many projects going on right now that I'll probably never have time to finish it. It's coded in vb (i know i know, make fun later) but if anyone want's to use it as a starting point they are welcome to it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: How about a dungeons&dragons cartoon game?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:11 am 
Registered  User

How about a dungeons&dragons cartoon game?
Did anyone watch this cartoon? I've seen a dvd with all 27 eps
I think it would make a great game!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:49 pm 
Registered  User

Theoretically, we should be able to use the Dragon's Lair or Space Ace ROMs and edit the data the way the DL and SA Enhanced Editions were done... heck, you could even get real scoreboard output that way...

--Chris

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:00 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I know that this thread has been dead for a loong while, but I just wanted to point out that I have a laserdisc engine ready. Atm it's hardcoded and I'd have to write all the scripts in the actual code, but once a successful game is created, i'm willing to make a full-fledged generic engine so that anyone can make a game.

I only mention it because at the time we were all waiting for the rest of the dl footage but we never got a reply.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:55 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Has anyone ever come up with any or many or all of the DL cartoons?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:21 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Does anyone have any ideas on what format the script should be in? I'm not saying everyone has to use the same script, but it would be kind of nice if we could agree on a standard script.

I myself favor something that uses XML as its foundation, since I have a complete XML parser already available :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:28 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I'd like to be the first to object form using xml. IMHO xml is a fad. It organizes well enough, but many parsers are slow (probably not the one you are using) and more importantly the xml format takes up a lot of disc space.

My personal favorite is the windows ini format. You know:

[Header]
key1=value
key2=another value
[Another Header]

ect.....

I like it because aside from some sort of raw printout, it's the smallest ascii-based file format you can use and "automatically" parse.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:47 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Notes on the script..... there probably have to be a few different kinds.

A Dragon's lair style game would need different information from, say a cobra command style game or an ALG style game.

"Select A Scene" style games just need timing information and what key to press for the most part. Other games need far more complicated coding.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:20 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

HowardC wrote:
I'd like to be the first to object form using xml. IMHO xml is a fad. It organizes well enough, but many parsers are slow (probably not the one you are using) and more importantly the xml format takes up a lot of disc space.

My personal favorite is the windows ini format. You know:

[Header]
key1=value
key2=another value
[Another Header]

ect.....

I like it because aside from some sort of raw printout, it's the smallest ascii-based file format you can use and "automatically" parse.

hehe.. I am not a fan of the .INI file format, but maybe if I had a better parser for it, I'd be more enthusiastic.

I think the main thing the script should be is easy to use.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:23 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

HowardC wrote:
Notes on the script..... there probably have to be a few different kinds.

A Dragon's lair style game would need different information from, say a cobra command style game or an ALG style game.

"Select A Scene" style games just need timing information and what key to press for the most part. Other games need far more complicated coding.

I think it would be more desireable to have one script that can do all of this.

If I were going to devote my time to designing such a script, I would probably try to make it play a few rooms in Dragon's Lair first, and then branch out to more complicated games (super don quixote, badlands) and finishing up with the hardest games (bega's battle, cobra command).. although I may not get to that point, since to me, the kind of games I'd be interested in making would be choose your own adventure types (thayer's quest) with interleaved dragon's lair styled action.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:02 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I agree with that, the only problem is I can't think of a good way to make a completely generic script without making things overly complex.

I think instead of everyone jumping in and writing an engine (the easy part) we need to start a scripting thread first and agree upon a scripting design and how to impplement it.

Like yourself, I'm not really interested in makng a script for every style of game, just dl style and alg shooters, which I could really just hardcode an engine for, if I had some good footage to work with.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: No need to make footage we have two series begging to be
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:49 am 
Registered  User

fellow gamer. I am very interested in someone making a Dragons Lair-type game for TGF & I also happen to have a full version of the TGF. Actually, you just need the registration code & I am willing to give that up to you for research & also completing this game you are hoping to make. Post your e-mail address & I will send it to you. If thats ok with the forum rules, that is.
And keep us up to date on the status of the game,ok? Allright. Laters

Offline Profile