It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: MASK
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:46 pm 
Registered  User

I was reading through the posts here and saw some ideas that I would be really psyched for... (GI Joe, Transformers, etc.) Does anyone remember the cartoon which I think is titled MASK? I know it has a set of good guys and bad guys that kinda duke it out in the desert. (on a mountain I believe)

Also I read someones post that their were no death scenes for GI Joe and I started thinking about any cartoons that did have death scenes... the only thing I could come up with would be the Road Runner cartoons.... also there was a pac-man cartoon that I vaguely remember.... I think it inspired the Pac-Land game but I don't remember anything that happens in the show....

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 3:09 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Road Runner.... That's one I hadn't thought of. That would be awesome!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 3:12 pm 
Registered  User

it would be kinda fun.... plus there must be a ton of different roadrunner cartoons to use.... anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:39 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

A Road Runner Laserdisc game was actually planned by atari. In fact, there's supposedly a prototype disc out there somewhere, although no one we know has it. There's supposedly a Knight Rider disc as well. Anyway, Atari scrapped the laser game idea in favor of what we all know as the Atari System 1 game simply called "road runner".

And mv12... I have a 6 hour VHS tape of old MASK cartoons somewhere. An episode or 2 took place in the desert, but that's not where the show always took place. Boulder Hill (MASK's base) was in a gas station built into a mountain, though. It was my childhood dream to be Matt Trakker. "Spectrum, ON!"

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:27 am 
Registered  User

Excerpt taken from here :

http://www.atarimuseum.com/orubin/mailbag3.html

Owen: Laser Disk (LD) games. Too bad really, we never got very far on those games. Here is the story:

I spent two summer sessions at MIT in 77 and 78 (or maybe 78 and 79) educating myself on laser disk games and technology in the Architecture Machine Group (later to become the Media Lab), and basically came back to Atari and suggested that we did NOT do any games with LD. Bottom line, the technology would not survive the arcade environment, was slow and unreliable, and was very expensive for what you really got out of it. And I was right, but we started several games anyway. One was the turd Firefox, one was Road Runner which was GREAT, and WAS tested in an arcade, and then redesigned to not have the LD because it kept failing. Then we started Battlestar Galactica, for which an early LD was made but not much else.

On Knight Rider and Galactica, we went to Universal and got to look through a LOT of footage, some aired, some not of shots from the shows Knight Rider and Galactica. On Knight Rider, the game was going to be a driving game where you had to use KITT's special features to catch the bad guys. Jumping, speed, guns, electronic jamming, etc. It would be a combination graphics and video game (NOT like Firefox) with graphics better than most driving games and live video mixed in, and the voice of KITT helping you along in the game. When you did a stunt with KITT, you would see an instant replay of the stunt in live video from the show. We also had some great footage that was never seen. Like what REALLY happened to the cars (there were seven or eight of them always being repaired) after they made a jump. It really crumpled the front of the cars a lot, but that was edited out. If you missed a jump timing in the game for example, you would see the car land and crumple and you loose a life (or whatever). There were lots of outtakes that would have made great game play error footage. We never got much further than that as we killed all LD games shortly after Road Runner.

Roadrunner was similar. It used video game graphics for the game play almost identical to the game that was releases except that it used LD video instead of graphics for the background. Very cool to have the game graphics go in and out of cartoon footage. When the Roadrunner would "get" the coyote (like making him fall off a cliff or hit a truck) the game would pause and a LD "video replay" would show a real cartoon segment with that same thing that just happened. For example, in the game where the coyote has avoid stepping on the land mines, when he does, the game shows him getting blown-up in graphics, and then (not always) a video would show a real cartoon excerpt from a Roadrunner cartoon of the coyote getting blown up. It was very cool.

On Galactica, it was my idea originally as I was a Galactica fan obviously, (those are Cylon ships in Major Havoc, and the graphics displays in the tactical display were drawn like in Galactica as well), the guys who did Star Wars and Firefox started the project. I did a small amount of work as well. All that was really done was some footage on the LD that let you land a fighter ship into one of the landing bays on either side of the large ship.

I also did a Golf Simulator game where you actually hit real golf balls at a projection screen and the ball was projected the rest of the way. We recorded thousands of pictures of the Los Gatos golf course on a LD. When you started, we would project the view from the tee. You would hit a real ball with a real club, we has sensors that measured your swing, your weight balance, and where the ball hit the screen and we would calculate and project the ball on the screen onto the real course. After each shot, you could get a lesson from a Pro on something the system analyzed you might have done wrong, we measured so many things, and had about 200 lessons from golf pros. A graphic top down view would display where you shot went, and then we would display the next view. It had silly things like going into water hazard footage as well. I actually have the ONLY copy of the LD (I wonder if it still even plays, I have not tried for so long) that shows Galactica footage and the Golf footage. Neither was ever built.

The video on the disk is recorded in such a way that playing it back would look like garbage. It is a bunch of still frames that you play out of order so that you can change what you are playing seamlessly. For example, the landing footage is one of 9 to 16 or so frames from different positions as you approach the landing bay. Imaging a 3x3 of 4x4 grid of possible positions you can approach from, with the center being straight on. If you fly straight, the program would display every 9th frame which was the video of flying straight. If you moved right, you would select the proper "frame view" and it would look like you moved in the video to the right, and now play every 9th "right position 1" video frame in order. With this scheme, you could fly in 2 dimensions with the joystick while the game pushed you forward in the third as well, controlled by a throttle.

Anyway, I doubt there is any prototypes of any of these games, and what happened to the LD for Road Runner is anyone's guess.

Hope this helps some.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:48 pm 
Registered  User

Does Mask play on any of the cartoon networks??? I'll have to look into it becuase that was one of my favorite cartoons...

I would be psyched to see RoadRunner or Knight Rider LD games... I wonder how impossible it would be to find the RoadRunner LD??? Anyone have an idea of where to start?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: MASK
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 9:51 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

mv12 wrote:
Also I read someones post that their were no death scenes for GI Joe and I started thinking about any cartoons that did have death scenes... the only thing I could come up with would be the Road Runner cartoons.... also there was a pac-man cartoon that I vaguely remember.... I think it inspired the Pac-Land game but I don't remember anything that happens in the show....

yes!! there was definitely a pac-man cartoon and I think they did model pac-land after it (the hat, for example). There was also a q*bert cartoon, a donkey kong cartoon and a donkey kong jr cartoon :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:05 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

pac man was it's own 1/2 hour show. But Q*Bert, Donkey Kong, and DK Jr were all a part of Saturday Supercade, just like Space Ace.

The following text is transcribed from "The Encyclopedia of Animated Cartoons," by Jeff Lenburg. It is copyright 1991. The ISBN of the book is 0-8160-2775-7, for those that are interested.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday Supercade

Five segments made up this series of video game-inspired cartoons which ran for two seasons on CBS. The first season lineup featured: "Donkey Kong," the adventures of a gorilla who escapes from the circus an keeps on the run to avoid captivity; "Donkey Kong Jr.," the misadventures of Donkey Kong Jr. and his friend, Bones, in search of Kong's missing father; "Frogger," the story of a frog and his companions (Fanny Frog and Shelly the Turtle) as reporters for the Swamp Gazette; "Pitfall," the exploits of a treasure hunter, his niece and their cowardly pet who travel the world to unearth lost treasures; and "Q*bert," a teenager who battles the evil Coilee Snake and his accomplices (Viper, Ugh and Wrong Way) with the help of his girlfriend, Q*tee. "Frogger" and "Pitfall Harry" aired only during the first season. For the second season, they were replaced by two new video game-derived segments: "Space Ace," a handsome, gallant space hero who, with his lovely partner, Kimberly, protects the heavens from the evil Commander Borf, who plots to rule the universe; and "Kangaroo," the misadventures of three youngsters Joey, Katy and Sindey, who run into all sorts of problems at the local zoo, including the Monkey Biz Gang.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:04 pm 
Registered  User

I'm still stuck on this idea of a RoadRunner lasergame... Does anyone have a clue where to search for the existing laserdisc? My guess is that the disc is probably impossible to get...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:41 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

From what I gather (reading the post above), it seems as if the RR game only uses the LD footage for background and cut scenes. What I think would be infinitely better is something like DL or SA where the actual cartoon footage is used and you can make choices as to where the game would go.

I wonder though, does coyote ever actually catch the road runner? Otherwise, you could never win the game.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:23 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Keith O wrote:
I wonder though, does coyote ever actually catch the road runner? Otherwise, you could never win the game.

there's one instance I can think of. RR and WEC just ran through a pipe which got progressively smaller, and they came out the other end being much smaller than they normally are. They stopped, looked at each other, and ran back through the pipe. RR emerged his normal size, but WEC was still small. RR stopped, and WEC wrapped his arms around the RR's leg. He pulled out his fork and knife (and I think a napkin wrapped around his neck) and then realized his dilemma. He held up a sign that said something like "What do I do now?" and the cartoon ended.

that would make a cool ending. There might be other instances too.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:43 am 
Registered  User

wooo
all this talk about my fav old cartoons
heres some pages for ya to look at if ya interested

http://www.yesterdayland.com/popopedia/ ... sa1562.php
and
http://www.yesterdayland.com/popopedia/ ... sa1193.php
have a look at the cast of characters

some arcade shows
pole position
http://www.yesterdayland.com/popopedia/ ... sa1287.php
pacman
http://www.yesterdayland.com/popopedia/ ... sa1156.php
http://www.yesterdayland.com/popopedia/ ... sa1155.php
dragons lair
http://www.yesterdayland.com/popopedia/ ... sa1257.php

one for matt
http://www.yesterdayland.com/popopedia/ ... sa1231.php

and the whole list here
http://www.yesterdayland.com/popopedia/ ... _1970s.php
http://www.yesterdayland.com/popopedia/ ... _1980s.php
http://www.yesterdayland.com/popopedia/ ... _1990s.php
thort some might wanna see

couple more
http://www.toonarific.com/s/spaceace.html
http://www.toonarific.com/d/dragonslair.html

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 8:40 am 
Registered  User

one more
appologies if yav seen it b4
http://www.emuunlim.com/doteaters/play2sta6.htm

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:57 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Keith O wrote:

Actually yes..... But once and only once.... He catches him, starts licking his lips and hears the familiar ending music. He franticly waves his arms for them to stop but the circle fade comes up and "The End" apears... He steps out of the shrinking circle and holds up a sign "why me?" Unfortunately on looking back, the producers of the show didn't like the idea of the coyote ever catching the roadrunner (kind of ruins the spirit) so in saturday morning re-runs you rarely, if ever, see this episode.

Offline Profile