It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject: Scoreboard Support For Raspberry Pi
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:23 am 
Registered  User

So I’m a little fuzzy regarding why Daphne on the Pi can’t communicate with a real scoreboard. I’m sure there’s many reasons, not the least of which is the lack of a parallel port. That being said, what would it take to make the communication through the GPIO pins? I’ve seen several projects which do this for CNC machinery and such. Being that Dexter is no longer available, there’s currently no way to repair any of these games with reasonably reliable equipment.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Scoreboard Support For Raspberry Pi
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:20 pm 
DAPHNE Bronze Donator
DAPHNE Bronze Donator

I don't know if it could be possible. I imagine that just getting that scoreboard to work via a LPT1 port was possibly a stretch in research itself.

Looks like a long way down.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:53 am 
Registered  User

I’m sure it wasn’t easy and it’s definitely over my head. I’m in the midst of developing a plug and play system that would replace both the main board and laser disc system for DL. It’s basically a Dexter/Merlin in one, but won’t require the original PCB. I’m pausing development at the moment because I’ve hit a brick wall with the scoreboard. Im not sure if I’d release it without the scoreboard support as I’m trying to make it as historically and technically accurate as possible. I was looking to see if anyone could help with the scoreboard support. Since Dexter is sold out and discontinued, I feel like there should be some hardware for preservation on the market.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:35 pm 
Dragon's Lair Project Staff

Dannyn wrote:
It’s basically a Dexter/Merlin in one, but won’t require the original PCB.

So.... It's Daphne on a Raspberry Pi... then...?
Is that the system you're "developing"?

You said, "on the market." Are you just trying to package up Daphne real compact and sell it? And you're asking the creator's forum for help with that? Don't you consider that to be the least bit insulting? If you don't, the Commercial Use Statement posted at this site says that it's taken as insulting.

To be plug and play, this necessarily means that preloaded video would have to be included. You wouldn't expect a legal smackdown from Digital Leisure on that? It's not really sounding like your project should exist.

I don't think "currently sold out" posted on the Dexter website means that it's "discontinued". An invitation to join a wait list is currently posted there, so I don't see a reason to give up on Dexter at the moment.

Anyway, it would be great to hear I got the wrong impression from unfortunate word choices. But I don't think I could be blamed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:35 pm 
Registered  User

Here we go... The last time Matt was contacted he said he would most likely not do another run of Dexter as to a lack of further interest. If something has changed, I’ll let him respectfully speak for himself. If this project came to fruition, I would contact Matt and see if we could come to a agreement for distribution, whether it would be direct compensation, donation to a charity, etc. very few people turn down money for something that’s already developed, but it’s always their right to do so. Obviously Digital Leisure would also need to be contacted for licensing. No need to go into production just to receive a cease and desist. Most people just assume that other people go about doing things in dubious, unscrupulous ways, but when someone is serious, they go about it properly. It’s just good business, which is something rare in the emulation community. Please don’t jump to conclusions and catastrophize a situation before you know the real facts or intentions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:31 pm 
Registered  User

I’d like to apologize for the tone of that last post to anyone else reading this thread. I can understand the skepticism from the last poster, but there’s really no need to be accusatory.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:17 pm 

No need to apologize - it's actually the best answer I could've hoped for and I think it's well-toned.
I did make sure to pose more questions than accusation, and leave a semi-optimistic conclusion, and I'm glad you noted that good business is rare in the emulation community. I realize you probably weren't ready for a project announcement and was saving yourself some words, but the particular words you slipped, on the market, plug and play, and discontinued, raised a brow.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:47 pm 
Registered  User

Right on Dave. So there’s a guy from Cambridge Arcade Repair who’s developed a solution to this issue, but he’s fallen out of communication. It was a little strange. He told me that he had a scoreboard and the necessary interface in stock, gave me a price, but then fell off the face of the earth when I told him I wanted to buy the stuff. No reply phone calls, DM’s or anything. Regardless, this is a solvable problem, but I’m not sure he’ll be much help. Anyway, if anyone on here is able to be of assistance, that would be great. Otherwise it’s not a project I’m completely married to. Thanks in advance.

Offline Profile