It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dragon's Lair skips scenes to last scene eventually
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:51 am 
Registered  User

I am aware that Dragon's Lair will have you do random scenes if you lose one and can come back to them again but I've noticed on two different attempts that I would eventually get to the last scene without having successfully completed the ones I lost in.

Is there a way to fix this?

Using Enhancement v2.1 with unlimited lives and free play.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Dragon's Lair skips scenes to last scene eventually
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:42 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

The enhanced 2.1 version only has you play a scene twice. Then, weather you've sucussfully completed it or not, it will have you continue to move ahead in the game. There is an enhanced version 1.1 that will have you keep playing the scene until you can sucessfully pass it. It plays more like the original arcade version, but includes the drawbridge scene at the beginning.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:52 pm 
Registered  User

Envisaged0ne wrote:
The enhanced 2.1 version only has you play a scene twice. Then, weather you've sucussfully completed it or not, it will have you continue to move ahead in the game. There is an enhanced version 1.1 that will have you keep playing the scene until you can sucessfully pass it. It plays more like the original arcade version, but includes the drawbridge scene at the beginning.

Thanks very much it works like a charm. Didn't like having my hand held and forced to perma skip scenes I didn't complete.

Also thanks all for Daphne as its a great emulator!

Now to find Esh's somehow...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:16 pm 
Registered  User

Hi everyone, could anyone offer any suggestions why my DL only allows one ttempt at any level before skipping on to the next ? i found this thread which seemed to be the answer but i have just switched to Enhanced V1.1 and it still skips even when i do not complete the level, is there something else in the loader i need to alter ?
Would love to get it working as it was my favourite game way back when! great program and top forum!

Thanks for any suggestions

Simon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:08 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

There is no rom version that lets you replay the scene until you complete it. They all go on to the next scene after you die. Eventually it will have you repeat the scenes that you died at, but that's towards the end, before you confront the dragon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:45 pm 
Registered  User

Thanks very much for the quick reply, thats a shame about the game, is that how everyone plays it ? it just doesn't seem playable this way ?

Thanks again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:59 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

As far as Daphne, yes, that's how everyone plays it. Digital Leisure's latest HD versions that you can purchase through Amazon allow you to play it both ways

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:23 pm 
Dragon's Lair Project Staff
Dragon's Lair Project Staff

[quote="Zedsded"]Thanks very much for the quick reply, thats a shame about the game, is that how everyone plays it ? it just doesn't seem playable this way ?[/quote]

Zedsded... Perhaps in a home setting, a person can endure being forced to replay the same scene repeatedly until it's solved, but in an arcade setting (which Daphne is emulating), and for this style of gameplay, the majority of people will NOT continue to waste their money on something that they cannot get past and that never changes. You've got to remember that this game was designed for the arcade. You might be perfectly fine sitting at home on your PC, forcing yourself to play the same scene over and over again until you figure it out, but if you had to PayPal $1.20* with every 3 fails... your attitude about doing that would change real quick.
*(according to a .gov inflation calculator on 50 cents from 1983 to 2015)

And I can assure you... proven with MILLIONS of games of DL that have been played since 1983... the game IS playable this way.

Starting the scene over again after losing a life was a big reason why DL2 was a documented arcade failure. Average people did not stick with the game for this reason. I witnessed a group of 10-12 year olds, boys and girls, playing DL2 for free at an office party in a coin-op game distributor's showroom in 1991, and they loved it... and they stuck with it... until they got to level 2, which is WAY too long of a scene to be starting over again from the beginning every time you die. This finally breached their limit of patience, and they all abandoned the game at that point. It's absolutely incredible that Leland's field tests did not discover this problem. Average people will not pay to endure this type of thing.

Offline Profile