It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Can't play Dragon's Lair 1 using Dragon's Lair 2 hardware
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:36 pm 
Registered  User

Just tried putting in the Dexter into a DL2---with Sony LDP1450 player...we have board set on the player...and it sometimes plays the DL attract...you cannot switch games, and if you start a DL game, it starts at odd place and only plays random clips and cuts off. The board is programmed for all three games. Any ideas? you can email me at tntquality at aol dot com Todd from TNT Amusements

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Dexter board not working right in DL2 game--ideas?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:20 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Hi Todd,

The only multi-game solution is to use a 1983 Dragon's Lair or Space Ace game with a Merlin multi-ROM board. Merlin and Dexter have experimental support for auto-switching discs with Dexter. (Not sure if it's offiicially released yet, but if not, it will be soon.)

There is no multi-game solution for Dragon's Lair 2 machines. You can *convert* a DL2 to Space Ace 1991 by installing a different ROM, and using the Space Ace 1991 ldimg file on Dexter. You also need an 8-way joystick for some of the moves.

I hope this helps!
-Warren.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:45 pm 
Dragon's Lair Project Staff

Dexter contains no software for playing different games; it provides laserdisc video only and displays the video according to instructions sent by the game's PCB & ROM. Loading Dexter's video file for DL in your DL2 game is the equivalent of installing a DL laserdisc into your DL2's LDP-1450. Use the Dexter Manager app to tell your Dexter to play the DL2 video file as the default.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:03 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

toddtuckey wrote:
Just tried putting in the Dexter into a DL2---with Sony LDP1450 player...we have board set on the player...and it sometimes plays the DL attract...you cannot switch games, and if you start a DL game, it starts at odd place and only plays random clips and cuts off. The board is programmed for all three games. Any ideas? you can email me at tntquality at aol dot com Todd from TNT Amusements

hi Todd,

Dexter is essentially just a laserdisc player. So if you want to use Dexter with Dragon's Lair 2, you would remove the Sony LDP-1450 and replace it with Dexter. Dexter would need to be configured to use the Dragon's Lair 2 laserdisc image (as shown in the video below) and placed into LDP-1450 mode.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:48 am 
Registered  User

yes...we went and set it just for Dragons Lair and its working perfectly! Thanks for the assistance...I thought it played all three games! A WONDERFUL board...I am hoping there are more available. Todd

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:58 pm 
Registered  User

I was mistaken as well and thought my DL2 would be able to play DL1 and SA. I ordered all three licenses with my Dexter that is set to arrive in late August.

Is there a way I can modify the DL2 board set to allow for the different games? It doesn't have to be a 'quick switch' when I want to change games. I want to be able to set the game for DL for a week, then DL2 for a week and then SA for a week then start the cycle over again. This is going in The Game Preserve arcade so I want my patrons and members to get the full set if possible.

Rusty

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:37 am 

You can play SA if you burn this ROM image http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/tech/roms/sa_91.zip to an EPROM and install it in place of your DL2 EPROM, and also change your joystick from a 4-way to an 8-way. You cannot use the DL video or play DL with a Leland DL2 PCB. You paid 1 cent extra for the DL video license after buying the other 2 videos, if that's any consolation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:31 am 
Registered  User

Thanks for the info. I am happy with what I purchased as it will always be of greater value to have all three images.

Offline Profile