It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dragon's Lair 2 beep is too loud
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:17 pm 
Registered  User

Got my Dexter today and ready to install it in my DL2 cabinet. Currently using another Dexter that belongs to a friend and my DL2 audio seems very quiet. We have adjusted the sound settings / volume controls to get as much as we can but video sounds are quite but the game beeps are intense.

I saw in the How To videos that it was suggested that power is applied to the R-Pi through the mini-USB for better audio. So... couple of questions:

1. Is the quiet game sounds the symptom that using the mini-USB power port supposed to fix or is it something else?

2. Is there any special power device I should use other than standard power supply (non-phone charger) with the mini-USB connection?

Thanks in advance and I will report back here with the results.

Rusty

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mini USB power or 5v power that came with Dexter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:10 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Greetings,

Powering dexter from the Pi's USB power input probably won't change the output volume. (On some of the prototype boards, using the Pi's power jack would eliminate some hum and scratchiness in the audio. The final boards don't have this issue.)

Whenever I've encountered a DL2 cabinet, the beeps always seem too loud to me. That said, it's possible that Dexter's output volume isn't as high, which would make them even louder. Looking at the DL2 schematics, I see that they had planned to have a separate volume control for the beeps, but it was replaced with a fixed resistor on the actual production boards. You can see the space for it on the motherboard right next to the left and right volume controls. It's a shame they left it out.

You could reduce the volume of the beeps by attaching another 10K resistor on top of the fixed 10K resistor that's already there.

Offline Profile