It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject: Space Ace Parsing making Daphne Crash in XP
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:35 pm 
Registered  User

Hello,

I have been trying to get Space Ace running for two days now without success. I have read through all the archives and can find nothing. Here's my situation, I have both Dragon's Lair and Space Ace on DVD-Videos from Digital Leisure (non-20th anniversary versions). I have successfully converted the video from the DL-DVD using DVD2DAPH (V.3.0) and it runs perfect in all its ROM versions under Daphne (V.0.99.6)

Now when I try to convert the SA-DVD with the exact same process using DVD2DAPH (V.3.0), the conversion is successful (as I can view all the video and sound files in media player), however when Daphne tries to parse the video I can see the scenes going by and then it only makes it to SPA09.VOB then I get a "Daphne.exe has encountered problems and must shut down" message from windows and I am back at the loader screen. (I can tell it's VOB9 due to the files up to that each have .DAT file that get created by Daphne during the parsing process and does not continue after 09.)

I've tried using Convvid2Daph with the exact same results.
I've also tried it on another PC running XP with the same results.
I've also tried H/W acceleration on and off with same results in either mode.

I'm running:
Daphne 0.99.6
Windows XP
P4 2.4
1GB Mem
GeForce 6800 GT

Daphne Log:

--DAPHNE version 0.99.6
--Command line is: G:\Daphne\daphne.exe sae vldp -framefile G:\DVD2DAPH\SADVDROM\ace_dvdrom.txt -nohwaccel
--CPU : GenuineIntel 2350 MHz || Mem : 1024 megs
LDV1000 : Instantaneous seeking enabled!
Set 640x480 at 32 bpp with flags: 0
Initializing sound system ...
No joysticks detected
Reading key remapping file ... (if the file is corrupt, daphne will crash, just so you know hehe)
Loading compressed ROM image sae10_u1.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image sae10_u2.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image sae10_u3.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image sae10_u4.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image sae10_u5.bin...8192 bytes read.

then nothing.....(due to crash)

Any help is definitely appreciated as I have been at this for 2 days now. I don't understand why DL works flawlessly and SA crashes.

Thanks,
J-

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:52 pm 
Registered  User

If it helps, I'm using Version 1.2 of the Space Ace DVD-Video from Digital Leisure. Thanks again.

J-

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:57 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

well may be a bug in daphne but it is difficult to troubleshoot without tracing the crash inside a debugger. Also since no one else has seemed to have this problem, it may not be a bug in daphne, but something else going on (i/o error or something for example)

If you can't get any further, you can delete the problem .vob file (which would mean part of your game would be unplayable but at least you'd be able to play some of it) or else you could try a different video source...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:09 pm 
Registered  User

That's what I was beginning to think (that this is specific to my PC's) even though I tried it on another PC I think both PC's are running the same software (i.e. DVD programs, other EMUs, etc). I'm planning to build a new PC this weekend for Daphne only so I'll try again with just XP & Daphne installed. I'll post results if I have success. Thanks for the reply! It's very much appreciated. =)

john-

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:58 am 
Registered  User

:( Well no luck, after a clean XP install and re-running DVD2DAPH, Daphne still crashes during parsing at VOB09 which also happens to be the largest .M2V file created at 103,115KB. Anyway, if anyone has experienced this I'd love to hear how it is corrected.

Thanks,
john

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:56 pm 
Registered  User

Well I just had to join up and say that it isn’t just you!!

I have got exactly the same problem; the last parsing file written is always spa09p1.vob.dat.

It always crashes at the same time. I’m using Windows 2000 Professional though not XP, and it’s the US rev.A3 chipset I’m using: the one that runs under ace.
From your command line it looks like you are using the US Enhancement 1.0 set that runs under sae.

As I said this still seems to be having the exact same problem though!
I’m getting all the compiled vob files sent to me to see if this fixes the problem.
I’ll post here to let you know if it worked.

If you have found another way round this please let me know.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:18 pm 
Registered  User

Gary,

I pretty sure it's not the ROM versions we are using that is causing the problem as you stated, I think it's the source DVDs we are using, so I ordered the 20th Anniversary Editions of all three DVD games, DL, DL2, & SA. I'll post the results as soon as I receive them. Thanks for the reply and letting me know I'm not the only one! :)

J-

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:47 am 
Registered  User

I had another go at this last night.
I added the vob files I was sent and downloaded the Enhanced chipset, as this was the one the person who sent the vob’s was using.
So I now had the same setup as his working version!

I hade some success, in that I got video displaying on the screen although it still doesn’t seem to be playing right.

I tried different versions of the Daphne executable as well. Version ‘0.99.7cvs’ seemed to crash out after trying to parse for making the very first set of vob files.
The other version (0.99.6) always crashed out at the vob-9 phase.

They also both worked to different degrees when I attempted to run with the full set of vob files that I had been sent. This seemed to work best with the 0.99.6 version, although the game is still not running properly.

The outcome of all this is that I’m thinking it could be a problem with different versions of the Daphne program running on the 2000/XP operating system.

I’m going to try and test this by setting it all up on an older PC with Windows 98 to see if this makes a difference.
I can’t see why it would be the video files to honest, if it is likely that it is the source DVD I am using could somebody please explain why this would be the case?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:50 am 
Registered  User

I've already tried it on Win98 as well and it's the same results as XP or 2000. I am using Daphne V.0.99.6. Although I haven't tried any earlier versions as you have, but it sounds like it doesn't matter. I had a bit of success after deleting VOB09 just to see if Daphne would continue to parse without those files and to my surprise without VOB09 Daphne parsed all the way through, no Windows error! But without VOB09 obviously the game is unplayable, however that's where I was able to isolate it down to the VOB09 portion of the files created by DVD2DAPH or Other conversion programs...Daphne just does not like that big file (VOB09).
That's why I decided to try it with a different set of DVDs, since most of the people here are using the 20th anniversary version I figured it might be the DVD I was/am using which is copyrighted 1999 with a stamp on the inner ring of the DVD stating V1.2. Anyway I should have the new set of DVDs today or tomorrow and I will post the results as soon as I have them tested.

J-

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:16 pm 
Registered  User

Well I am still waiting for my 20th anniversary DVD set to arrive, (scheduled delivery Tues. 26th), however after some emails back and forth and finally a file examination by one of the Daphne developers into the version I am currently trying to use has revealed that some Digital Leisure DVD Video releases of Space Ace are not handled correctly by DVD2DAPH or Convvid2daph for use with Daphne. I'll post the results of the 20th set on Tuesday evening, as I will be using the same versions of both conversion utilities I have been trying with my current Digital Leisure Space Ace DVD.

j-

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:38 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I wasn't aware that a v1.2 exists. If someone can send me this disc, I can make it work.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:35 am 
Registered  User

I'll send you mine. Email me.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:27 pm 
Registered  User

Well I just received the 20th Anniversary DVD set and Space Ace is now running flawlessly. So if you own a Space Ace DVD and it's causing Daphne to crash check the inside ring of the disk for "Version 1.2" if it's printed there don't bother re-running DVD2Daph over and over again as there seems to be something that is different about this release that causes ANY conversion program to create a bad set of VOB09 files that cause the problem in Daphne while parsing.

Vera you are still welcome to check out my DVD if you want, just send me an email and will send it off to ya.

J-

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:23 am 
Registered  User

I’ll check my disk to see what version it is!

I wonder if I can make it work by removing the offending file, then compiling, then adding the VOB9 parsed files sent to me from the working version.

As I said using the complete set of parsed file sent it seems to almost work correctly!!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:02 pm 
Registered  User

So has there been any resolution to this version of Space Ace causing this crash? I just converted my DVD and was excited to play and then CRASH! :evil: I want to play Spac Ace, any help is appreciated!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:47 am 
Registered  User

Im having same problem On xp And xbox . file will not open running daphne but I can view the file opening it with media player but the first 2 seconds screen is blank then rest of file plays normal , spad09d1.vob.m2v

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:59 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

jaxtrip said he sent the 1.2 dvd out to me, but I never received it. :( If I can get my hands on the disc, I can fix this problem.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Messge to Vera Lanpher...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:29 am 
Registered  User

Hello, fellow gamer. I'm so glad I've finally found you post something in a while! I have been wondering if you have or are you now working on a conversion program upgrade (DVD2Daph) for Dragon's Lair 2 ??? I noticed on an old post that you weren't going to make a conversion for this game until Daphne fully supported DL2 -- Now that it does, I can't seem to find anyone who has a program to convert the 20th Anniversary DVD-video edition of DL2 to work in Daphne. Any help or information on this would greatly be appreciated. Thanks for all your hard work & again thanks to the programmers of Daphne.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:48 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

As far as I know, dvd2daph still doesn't support dl2. I manually split the video and audio files using TMPGenc & converted the audio files to .OGG using a program called HeadAC3he. If you're willing to do the work, I can send you a working framefile. You might have to rename the files to match it. So it will take some manual work, but it's achievable if you have the patience to do it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:52 am 
Registered  User

I have a 1.2 disk sitting here useless until it works on daphne! If you want me to ship it out just shoot me a pm and I'll put it in the mail. I can't wait to play on my arcade setup. :lol:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Thanks for the offer EnvisagedONe...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:25 pm 
Registered  User

But I actually have already manually converted the footage as well using the same program and I thought I had a pretty good cut of the footage but back then DL2 wasn't supported in daphne yet---So I used the CVS version & I did get it to load up but it just didn't work. I got really discouraged after a while so I just deleted my conversion footage (Shouldn't have done that, of course!)
But that's ok, I read that Matt mentioned that there will be a utility to convert the DVD footage to work in Daphne REAL soon. Maybe he knows something he's not telling us as a surprise or something. I will have to just wait & be patient. Again, though, thanks for your offer. Much appreciated, anyway. Laters

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Thanks for the offer EnvisagedONe...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:28 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

smooth wrote:
But that's ok, I read that Matt mentioned that there will be a utility to convert the DVD footage to work in Daphne REAL soon. Maybe he knows something he's not telling us as a surprise or something. I will have to just wait & be patient. Again, though, thanks for your offer. Much appreciated, anyway. Laters

Eh? I don't think I said that. You sure you're not getting me mixed up with someone else?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:15 pm 
Registered  User

Vera Lanpher wrote:
jaxtrip said he sent the 1.2 dvd out to me, but I never received it. :( If I can get my hands on the disc, I can fix this problem.

Vera, You never recieved it? I had no idea. I thought you recieved it a while ago and were working on the new proggy. My apologies. I'll send you out another ASAP!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Sorry, Matt...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:25 am 
Registered  User

When I wrote the subject about you knowing something about a new converstion utility for DVD2Daphne for DL2, I meant to write "Chip", not Matt... Sorry for the mistake. I'm sure if you knew anything new, you would be the first to tell us, right? Well anyways, my apologies, again. Laters.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:27 am 
Registered  User

Vera Lanpher wrote:

Hello...

I came accross this thread by accident and just wondered if there was ever a resolution for this problem :o
I think I still have the Space Ace v1.2 DVD somewhere :D

By the way, I never did get this working correctly :-?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:40 pm 
Registered  User

I never saw or heard of a patch or fix for SA 1.2, and as you know DVD2DAPH 3.0 is out now (not beta mode) and the parsing still gets stuck. I ended up just getting the 20th Anniversary set of DVDs from Digital Leisure (wayyy better picture quality!) Anyway, sorry no fix for SA 1.2 yet. :( But DL HD is here!!!!!

Vera, any word on a conversion for daph for the new DL HD? :D

Offline Profile