It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject: Audio Quality
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:03 pm 
Registered  User

Running version .99.7

The Ogg captures from my laserdiscs are rather flawless and playback great with the media player.

However, the same audio files being played through Daphne have the quality of an old 78 rpm vinyl from the early 20's (crack, pop, hiss). Why would the same sound sources playback so dodgy through Daphne? I tried a codec update just in case. Perhaps something else is conflicting? It's not unbearable, but I'd love to clean it up if someone has suggestions on something to try. It's definately not any one game, it's all of them. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm running XP on an Athlon2600 machine.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:24 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

I have not noticed this problem of which you speak.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:46 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

sounds like you may have encoded them at 48000 instead of 44100

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:39 am 
Registered  User

chip wrote:
sounds like you may have encoded them at 48000 instead of 44100

Thanks for the tip, but no, everything is 44KHz. I tried forcing the highest buffer size using the command switch "-sound_buffer 8192" and now the audio is crystal clear. What clued me into it NOT being an .ogg file issue is that the Cliff Hanger startup beeps were also riddled with static, and those don't come from the .ogg file.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:00 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Hmmm yes, that makes sense, but what would require you to use such a big audio buffer? Are you doing a lot of background work that is taxing your CPU?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:08 am 
Registered  User

No, not *really* --- I disabled any windows xp services that aren't vital on my arcade cabinet long ago and I've watch CPU usage go no higher than about 70% at any time running Daphne (AMD Athlon 2600). The only other app running would be my frontend, MameWah.

I turned the buffer down to 4096, but if I go any lower, the snap-crackle-pop comes back. What's the default, anyway, 2048? I'm just happy you've made this an option to fiddle with since it fixed my problem.

Thanks.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:02 pm 
Registered  User

to revisit the problem, cranking up audio buffer actually has a bad side effect. the game's timing becomes off, as in the inputs are delayed. it's hard to explain. in a game like cliff hanger, when you have a higher audio buffer (which fixes my crackle and pop), when you go to make a move (stick/button) the game reacts slowly... there's a delay before it accepts the move, now. what an odd problem. i think everything worked better when i had lower quality captures. now i've upgraded and run captures that are mostly around 1.5GB. perhaps i am overtaxing my machine?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:37 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Yes Yaggy,

Making the audio buffer bigger causes more lag. That is why we recommend you make the audio buffer as small as you can without the sound cutting out.

Offline Profile