It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject: Trouble starting any game after complete Win installation
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:06 pm 
Registered  User

Hi all,

I am having trouble restoring my formerly working Daphne setup.

Last night I had to redo my living room PC with a new install of WinXP after a fatal bluescreening.

I restored my daphne backups and they would not work properly, so I farmed out all of my MPEGs, ROMs and framefiles; redownloaded Daphne and put all where it belonged.

I also put all the framfiles into their respective directories and placed the single dot at the top to make that easier.

When I start any game--the log will reflect a Space Ace startup Daphne errors with a file not found message.

Here's my log:
---
--DAPHNE version 0.99.7
--Command line is: H:\daphne-0.99.7-win32\daphne.exe sae vldp -framefile H:\daphne-0.99.7-win32\SADVDROM\ace_dvdrom.txt -fullscreen
--CPU : GenuineIntel 2950 MHz || Mem : 512 megs
Set 640x480 at 16 bpp with flags: 80000001
Initializing sound system ...
No joysticks detected
Remapping input ...
Loading ./roms/sae/sae10_u1.bin ... 8192 bytes read into memory
Loading ./roms/sae/sae10_u2.bin ... 8192 bytes read into memory
Loading ./roms/sae/sae10_u3.bin ... 8192 bytes read into memory
Loading ./roms/sae/sae10_u4.bin ... 8192 bytes read into memory
Loading ./roms/sae/sae10_u5.bin ... 8192 bytes read into memory
Framefile parse succeeded. Video/Audio directory is: H:/daphne-0.99.7-win32/SADVDROM/./
Could not open file : H:/daphne-0.99.7-win32/SADVDROM/./sa-slates.m2v148
Could not initialize laserdisc player!
Shutting down sound system...
Shutting down video display...
---

Now the sa-slates.m2v148 file DOES NOT EXIST...I checked the directory. So I know that the emulator is telling the truth. Normally with past restores, AFAIK it only looks for sa-slates.m2v--no numbers. When I take the "148" out of the framefile, the game will run, but only show the startup mpeg, and the initial logo. There is no attract mode or proper game.

I just checked my Dragon's Lair game and it exhibits the same trouble. When I delete the 3 digit numbers appended to the dl-slates.m2v bit in the framefile, the game runs, but the mpegs are all screwed up as with Space Ace.

My Badlands game works fine as I had to make the framefile with a seektest and manual adjustment. The SA and DL framefiles came out of DVD-ROM rips with DVD2DAPH.

Normally, when I have troubles, it with ROMs, or pathnames. This is something different and I could use some advice.

Thanks,
Scott Strungis

Offline Profile  

Post subject: More information
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:20 pm 
Registered  User

My DL2 game works as well. I am beginning to suspect that this is a corrupt framefile issue what with the weird 3 digit extras on the end of the slates.m2v files.

Scott

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:19 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Yes, that looks to be your problem. Looks like you are missing a linefeed in the framefile.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: That was it!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:10 pm 
Registered  User

Seems when I restored my backups, I lost the linefeeds! I managed to scare up another copy of my framefiles from my wife's iMac and all was well.

I have Laserdisc issues now. My LD-V4400 has gone flaky. Most of the time I cannot cue any disc up to play. It seeks for a while and then parks the heads again. If it does work it works fine and immediately.

Has my Pioneer player bitten the dust? Or can I clean the lens or something simple like that?

Thanks,
Scott

Offline Profile