It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject: The "beta"...a few simple questions
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:15 am 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

Hi guys,

Let me start by saying thanks to Matt and the entire development team for the continued endeavors on this project, without their combined efforts I'm sure that this genre of gaming would fade away into obscurity. That being said, I have only a few questions about the beta that, hopefully, can be addressed in this forum. If they should be only brought up in the Chat room, then I apologize in advance for choosing to ask them here instead:

• Will Linux still be supported? - While I understand that the Beta is covering the Windows and Mac OS', I noticed there were no binaries or sourcecode available for Linux. If a Linux solution will be available, will it be GUI based like the current beta, or will users still be able to use it with their own Linux front-end applications like in previous versions (AdvanceMenu)?
  • Due to the new packaging (GUI), will command line operation still be supported, and what type of system settings/hardware should be used to compensate for speed/performance? - Regardless of the OS (Linux, Windows, Mac), is commandline operation going away for users that are used to the speed gains that are achieved by running through a DOS shell via a frontend like AdavanceMAME, or a slimmer OS file system (ie: Mac/Linux)? If so, are the minimum hardware requirements now going to increase to compensate or remain the same for a user's setup?
  • Will current users that already have compatible copies of LD games (already in m2v format for use with vldp, for example) that worked with previous verisions of Daphne be able to use their files with the newest version of Daphne? - I remember that Matt had mentioned (during his RetroGaming interview) that he wanted all of his users to be on the same page when it came to video and audio files, hence the decision for On-Demand content.
  • Are speed/performance gains only going to be apparent with overlay based games when the new OpenGL feature is enabled? - This I ask more in response to Matt's latest reply to Mark Broadhead in my earlier thread. As the question implies, will performance gains only be noticeable with OpenGL enabled on these types of games, or will users that have only YUV capable video cards be able to still experience better performance in general due to the new version of Daphne as well?

Again, if there's a development FAQ somewhere that already covers these questions, or if they should be only raised in the chat room, I apologize in advance, otherwise I look forward to the team's responses.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:02 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Hi lowlight,

I am going to put your questions "on hold" until the new release is closer to being finished. It is still a work in progress and is subject to change. Feel free to drop by the chat room any time :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:38 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

Matt Ownby wrote:
I am going to put your questions "on hold" until the new release is closer to being finished. It is still a work in progress and is subject to change. Feel free to drop by the chat room any time :)

No problem, thank you for the reply!

Offline Profile