It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject: Problem with Daphne in linux and Rom Loading
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:01 pm 
Registered  User

I have ripped Dragon's Lair from the CD-ROM version, deluxe edition (I know its' old) on my windows partition, and copied it over to my linux partition.

I start daphne, and I always get an error of it not being able to load my Dragon's Lair roms... and I am stuck then. I have the framefile edited to only have a . as the first line, and it is in the same directory as my files. I have the revision 4 rom zipped in the roms folder.

Also, when I try to look for the daphne_log.txt file, I can't find it.

I am using the executable that was available on the main page (I didn't see where a source code version was on the website).

Basically, I am doing this just to see how well daphne works, and so I can at least play Dragon's Lair in my linux machine (I never boot into Windows, 'cept twice a year or so).

Also, I plan on builiding a mame cab, and wanted to add daphne to the machine as well (using linux).

What am I doing wrong...

Thanks for your help, in advance!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:41 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Are you using the new v1.0 beta? If not, I recommend you do so.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:52 pm 
Registered  User

I am using 1.0 beta... just downloaded last friday (02/23/07)... I think the problem is that I will need to rename my zip to lair.zip... which I will try tonight. I remember unzipping it also, and not having any luck, but I will try again tonight.

So, where would the error log file show up... I figured the working directory, but I never saw one pop up...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:48 pm 
Registered  User

Got it working. Cleared out any roms, and renamed rev 4 to lair.zip, which I didn't see written in my documentation anywhere (but its' hard to keep track of these things).

My cdrom rip doesn't work, there is weird thing where the instructions play real fast, then there is an error, and then nothing... but at least I get the idea of how the program works, and what to do with it.

Looks like I will be scouring ebay for some DVD's now...

--Kris

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:14 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

I don't see how you could be using the new v1.0 because the new DaphneLoader included with v1.0 will auto-download all the files you need to play Dragon's Lair, including the ROMs. You shouldn't need to manually mess with them anymore.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:33 pm 
Registered  User

You are correct. I was using .99... somehow I ended up on a link for the older version. I am downloading now, and will play with it tonight!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Regarding the log
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:09 am 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

Hey there Krisbee, If you could please, don't forget to post up a copy of your log for future tech support issues so that we can see what Daphne is seeing on your system. This log in linux will typically be placed in the home directory of the current session user, unless of course you only use the root account (shame on you:wink:), in which case it'll be in root's home directory. Another moot point, but the rom naming conventions should be listed in the DAPHNE Wiki, as far as I can recall.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:12 pm 
Registered  User

It actually doesn't, which is the problem. Here is the page about ROMS:

http://www.daphne-emu.com/wiki/index.ph ... ing+DAPHNE

I am hoping to acquire the DVD-VIDEO versions today, and converting them with dl2daph (I have dialup, so I can't download the 1.0 version, and at work we have a firewall)

I am super excited to get to play these games again on my linux machine. My wife just doesn't understand.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:10 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

krisbee wrote:
It actually doesn't, which is the problem.

Hmmm, that's a shame, I thought it was listed there. Well, Matt and others have been making changes to the Wiki, so I'm sure a listing will be up soon. However, If you're compiling from source, you should be able to extrapolate this info from the make files too. Either way, have fun once you get going, and try and get your wife involved! My wife and I are gamers, so it's easy for me to suggest this, of course :wink: !

Offline Profile