It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject: Cliff Hanger Laserdisc with Daphne Support
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:31 am 
Registered  User

I am trying to build a Cliff Hanger cabinet with all original parts, but given the rarity of these parts accept that it will probably be a slow project. In the meantime I thought about running the laserdisc with Daphne. I have a few questions. Forgive me if they are obvious. I am new to Daphne. This will be my first such project.

1) Do I need to have an original PR-8210A / LD-1100 Laser player to run Cliff Hanger (on laserdisc) with Daphne?

2) If yes, is it possible to use a Laserace card to interface with another player.

3) I know the graphics overlay will not work. Will the joystick/button feedback sounds be audible?

4) Is there any way to keep score without the graphics? I assume the DL/SA scoreboard only works with those programs/ROMS.

5) Has anyone run Cliff Hanger successfully on Laser with Daphne, and is it actually playable?

Thanks for your time. Great site and work keeping lasergames alive!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:30 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

1)You have about 6 choices, potentially more for cliff hanger as well as all the other games, with sony players being reccomended. Go into daphne loaders settings, turn OFF the virtual laser disc player and you'll see the list in the settings. Potentially you could also use other players assuming you know the serial protocol it uses and it happens to be the same as one of the players daphne supports.

2)Yes, but you shouldn't need it. Laser-Ace is a serial protocol translator and you have 6 protocols to choose from already.

3)Yes, through your pc's speaker system though.

4)No

5)I got rid of my last ld player years ago but I can tell you right now, it'll be pretty crippled due to the lack of an overlay. It does more than just keep score, it also helps with movesets, blanking... ect...

I've gotta tell ya, especially for overlay games it just makes more sense to use the mpeg files. I believe at this point even the daphne devs reccomend you do so. If you insist on using the laserdisc then it might make more sense to just track down a cliff pcb and make a real cliff hanger cab.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:04 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

You may want to consider getting a video capture board or USB adapter and making an MPEG/OGG capture of the Cliff Hanger Disc and using that with VLDP in Daphne. You could also buy Castle of Clistigo and Mystery of Mamo DVDs and use a ripper tool to extract the video clips from them, if you wanted to.

Offline Profile