It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject: Real DL/SA Scoreboard on Modern PC's
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:36 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

The other day, I attempted to attach my DL/SA scoreboard to the Core 2 Duo PC that I got about 2 years ago. When I went to plug it in, I realized that there was nothing to plug it into!!! That's right... I've encountered my first PC that doesn't have a parallel port!

I ended up buying a PCI Parallel card to remedy this issue. There are plenty on http://newegg.com. You need to install drivers into Windows to get it to work. I then encountered my next problem... the new parallel port does not show up on a standard parallel port address (378 and 278) and there is apparently no way to get it to do so. I did test the PAR-IO.DLL driver and it does appear to work properly with the add-on parallel port.

Therefore, I am making a change to Daphne that will allow you to specify any parallel port address rather than restricting you to the two standard addresses. This should fix the problem. I will provide the code changes to Matt_O and hopefully it will see the light of day in a new Daphne release soon.

Thanks,

Brad O.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Success!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:19 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

I was able to successfully modify Daphne to work with my Rosewill PCI Parallel card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166005&Tpk=parallel%20port

The -scoreport switch now accepts 0 (LPT1), 1 (LPT2) or the address of the parallel port that your scoreboard is connected to.

This ended up being more trouble than I thought. I had to replace PAR-IO.DLL with INOUT32.DLL (for Windows). PAR-IO.DLL was causing my machine to crash hard when attempting to use addresses outside of the standard parallel port range. It looks as though INOUT32.DLL is better anyway for a few reasons:

1) Totally Open Source
2) No driver needs to be installed in the /windows/system32/drivers directory
3) Completely Free
4) Commonly used

I will submit the source changes to Matt_O shortly. Hopefully it will make its way into an official release soon.

Thanks,

Brad O.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:54 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

very nice Bard! I still have an older PC with a parallel port for daphne, but I'll probably need something like this soon. KOLL!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:25 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

chip: Yeah, the PC's that I usually use for Daphne have parallel ports. I wanted to get it working on my main PC so that I could test everything in Daphne when I needed to. I also wanted to ensure that this interface works for many years into the future.

For those of you who might be thinking, "Why not just use a modern PC port like USB?"... The only way to keep this interface so that the cable can easily be made by the end-user is to use the PC parallel port. The USB port requires custom chips and essentially, a PCB would need to be fabricated. For this reason, I'm for keeping this interface on the parallel port for as long as parallel port add-on cards are manufactured.

If anyone has another great idea, we would certainly be open to it.

Brad O.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:45 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Great work!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: wanted to say hey...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:27 pm 
Registered  User

wanted to say hi,first time here and gonna buy d/l 20th soon,nice to see you guys still on the site,admin for ut3 umg league so we say hi,happy gaming!!!!!oh yeah some weird invalid certificate error going to this site,i use eset,but makes the site looks like it has a virus(fyi)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: wanted to say hey...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:42 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

1boogied1 wrote:
wanted to say hi,first time here and gonna buy d/l 20th soon,nice to see you guys still on the site,admin for ut3 umg league so we say hi,happy gaming!!!!!oh yeah some weird invalid certificate error going to this site,i use eset,but makes the site looks like it has a virus(fyi)

The forum's security certificate issue has been like that for a very long time...and probably will remain longer... ;)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:29 am 
Registered  User

haha k :wink:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Success!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:33 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

[quote="Brad O."]I was able to successfully modify Daphne to work with my Rosewill PCI Parallel card.

[url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166005&Tpk=parallel%20port[/url]

The -scoreport switch now accepts 0 (LPT1), 1 (LPT2) or the address of the parallel port that your scoreboard is connected to.

This ended up being more trouble than I thought. I had to replace PAR-IO.DLL with INOUT32.DLL (for Windows). PAR-IO.DLL was causing my machine to crash hard when attempting to use addresses outside of the standard parallel port range. It looks as though INOUT32.DLL is better anyway for a few reasons:

1) Totally Open Source
2) No driver needs to be installed in the /windows/system32/drivers directory
3) Completely Free
4) Commonly used

I will submit the source changes to Matt_O shortly. Hopefully it will make its way into an official release soon.

Thanks,

Brad O.[/quote]
I recently "upgraded" to a new PC which inevitably didn't include an onboard parallel port - so my external scoreboard sat sad and unused for several months. I then came acorss this thread and excitedly purchased the Rosewill RC-302 PCI parallel port card linked above. Inserted the card into my PC, booted up and Windows 7 automatically downloaded the drivers and set the port to LPT3. So far so good. So I went into Control Panel and changed the port to LPT1, fired up Daphne, set the port to LPT1 in Daphne and started Dragon's Lair. Now the bad news - the scoreboard didn't work!! It displays the jumble of numbers that it does when not playing the game but the game clearly does not get it's output to the board as the board display never changes.

I am assuming that this is down to the PCI card's port addresses being outside the normal range (378h-37Fh), i.e. mine have defaulted to EC00-EC007 and E880-E887 and unfortunately CANNOT be changed.

Have the changes above to use INOUT32.DLL been implemented in the latest version of Daphne (but I see nowhere in Daphne Loader or the Command Line options to set the port address range)? Is my problem because I'm using Windows 7? Or possibly more likely that I am using Windows 7 64-bit - and so would need INOUT64.DLL to be implemented in Daphne for it to work?

I plan on building a Daphne cab in the near future and have another Rosewill RC-302 for that project. So desperately hoping to be able to get this to work.

Much appreciate any feedback on this.

Offline Profile