It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject: Repro Scoreboard AND Space Ace Annunciator with Daphne
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:59 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

I plan to build a Daphne/Mame cab and will be installing both a repro DL scoreboard AND a repro SA annunciator. Will both of these board work with Daphne and SA? I have the repro scoreboard working fine via a PCI parallel port interface card, but do not know how to connect up the SA annunciator board for it to work in Daphne. Much appreciate any help.

Thanks

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Repro Scoreboard AND Space Ace Annunciator with Daphne
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:38 pm 
Registered  User

While you wait for someone else here to reply, search the Technical Support section. Also read Daphne's Wiki pages. It contains some technical information that may apply to you.

https://www.daphne-emu.com/mediawiki

I also recommend you visit and search the following forums as it may contain information as well as people who may be able to help:

+ The Dragon's Lair Project
+ Dragon's Lair Fans
+ Build Your Own Arcade Controls

good luck

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:48 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

Thanks - I have tried all of those resources but have not yet found any information posted on how to use both the scoreboard and annunciator in a Daphne cab.

I will try posting in those forums as well but would appreciate any guidance from here as well.

Thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:04 pm 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

matt is realy good with helping people,but hes a very busy man. sorry i cant help you but wait and im sure he will get back to you soon.daphne is a great emulator and its also great just being able to play old arcade classics,so be patient maybe pm him if you cant find what your looking for. also im making a mame/daphne arcade machine which will be on youtube...

:)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:46 pm 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

It would be technically possible (but not immediate) to connect a conversion annunciator board or skill level buttons to an interface like Ultimarc's I-PAC in order to have the skill selection buttons working with Daphne. However external LEDs/lamps for difficulty level are not handled in any way by Daphne at the moment, so there will be no way to drive them directly. The only possibility would be to use the three keyboard LEDs, as far as I know.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:12 am 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

Thanks for the info. So what does the Daphne command line option "-use_annunciator" do then? The Daphne wiki entry states "Use this when using a real Space Ace scoreboard with the annunciator board attached. Space Ace only." - I was hoping that this meant that using a scoreboard and annunciator display board would be possible with Daphne with skill level selection made via Daphne rather than the original cabs hardwired skill select switches.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:21 am 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

Ikrananka wrote:
Thanks for the info. So what does the Daphne command line option "-use_annunciator" do then? The Daphne wiki entry states "Use this when using a real Space Ace scoreboard with the annunciator board attached. Space Ace only." - I was hoping that this meant that using a scoreboard and annunciator display board would be possible with Daphne with skill level selection made via Daphne rather than the original cabs hardwired skill select switches.

Yes, I guess you are right and I'm wrong. I didn't know of this option (never used it), but looks like it has been implemented. With that option and with scoreboard and annunciator panel connected to the parallel port, it should work. See also here.
This only applies to the annunciator leds/lamps of course, not the difficulty selection buttons. For those what said in the previous message stays valid.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:29 am 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

italiandoh wrote:
Ikrananka wrote:

Yes, I guess you are right and I'm wrong. I didn't know of this option (never used it), but looks like it has been implemented. With that option and with scoreboard and annunciator panel connected to the parallel port, it should work. See also here.
This only applies to the annunciator leds/lamps of course, not the difficulty selection buttons. For those what said in the previous message stays valid.

I'm good with software implementation (Daphne) for selecting the skill level (my cab will be fairly generic and so I do not want SA skill buttons on it anyway). So, I suppose my question comes down to what hardware is needed to achieve this. I have both a repro scoreboard and a repro SA annunciator board, but how does one connect these simultaneously to a PC with Daphne? Does the scoreboard connect via a parallel port cable and the annunciator piggy back off of the scoreboard (via what cable and connections though)? Or do both boards connect directly to the PC - thereby requiring a PC with two parallel ports?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:04 am 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

Ikrananka wrote:
I have both a repro scoreboard and a repro SA annunciator board, but how does one connect these simultaneously to a PC with Daphne? Does the scoreboard connect via a parallel port cable and the annunciator piggy back off of the scoreboard (via what cable and connections though)? Or do both boards connect directly to the PC - thereby requiring a PC with two parallel ports?

They need to connect on the same ribbon cable, ending in a single PC parallel port. The ribbon cable will have two connectors in parallel, one going to the scoreboard and the other going to the annunciator panel in parallel.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:13 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

italiandoh wrote:
Ikrananka wrote:
I have both a repro scoreboard and a repro SA annunciator board, but how does one connect these simultaneously to a PC with Daphne? Does the scoreboard connect via a parallel port cable and the annunciator piggy back off of the scoreboard (via what cable and connections though)? Or do both boards connect directly to the PC - thereby requiring a PC with two parallel ports?

They need to connect on the same ribbon cable, ending in a single PC parallel port. The ribbon cable will have two connectors in parallel, one going to the scoreboard and the other going to the annunciator panel in parallel.

Thanks for your help :D

I have never seen a commercial parallel cable split like this - do you know if one exists? Otherwise I am assuming that I will need to make this up myself from ribbon cable and 25 pin parallel connectors.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:00 pm 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

You'll have to build that cable yourself or adapt an original one from the game wiring harness.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:09 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

italiandoh wrote:
You'll have to build that cable yourself or adapt an original one from the game wiring harness.

Thanks. I'll order the parts today and will reort back once I've got it up and running.

Offline Profile