It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Look at what this clown is trying to do!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:31 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=13716

That's definitely daphne, you can tell because of the scoreboard overlay.
You'd think he'd have the deceny to at least tell people it's running daphne instead of trying to pass it off as original. He truly is a clown.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:43 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

That's very odd. That seller has posted many original parts/discs from various laserdisc games in the past. (I now own several of them :) )

I agree that it should be explicitly stated that it is not original hardware. Fortunately, I think most people could tell by looking at it that it's a bit of an odd duck.

And he should adjust the screen height so you can see the score! hehe...

Offline Profile  

Post subject: May not be illegal, but it is a scam!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:35 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Promoting something that is not original as original is a scam. However, selling a Daphne Cab is not illegal, even if the game is on the PC, and here's why:

1) Daphne itself is under the GNU General Public License, which allows COMMERICAL USE (see http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html for proof)

2) It is legal to sell a used legitimate DVD or Laserdisc for the video footage under the first sale doctorine.

However, for a cab sale to be legal, with Daphne, the user MUST do the following:

1) Bundle the DVD-ROM or Laserdisc with the cab that was used to create the MPEG/OGG as part of the price.

2) Delete any copies of the video on your computer that you used the LD or DVD as the original, other than the copy on the cab.

3) Bundle the Daphne Source Code with the Cab

4) Delete the ROM Image Files. You can then point them to www.d-l-p.com to re-download them after the sale.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: May not be illegal, but it is a scam!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:40 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

StephenH wrote:
1) Bundle the DVD-ROM or Laserdisc with the cab that was used to create the MPEG/OGG as part of the price.

2) Delete any copies of the video on your computer that you used the LD or DVD as the original, other than the copy on the cab.

3) Bundle the Daphne Source Code with the Cab

4) Delete the ROM Image Files. You can then point them to www.d-l-p.com to re-download them after the sale.

This guy was clearly violating 1) and 4). 2) and 3) weren't stated in the auction, but are easily correctable on his part.

Also, you forgot that this guy made and had included a custom marquee in the sale that uses the DL characters. Technically, you can't do that either. It's a violation of copyright.

But yes, you are correct... it is legal to sell a daphne cabinet, if the proper steps are taken to do so.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:31 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

[quote="chip"]

Also, you forgot that this guy made and had included a custom marquee in the sale that uses the DL characters. Technically, you can't do that either. It's a violation of copyright.

[/quote]

If this is true, how do the people that sell custom mame marquees and side art with video game characters on them get around the copyright? Are they not copyrighted or is this something that is enforceable but to costly to pursue?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Actually, Yes
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:29 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Hanaho makes custom Art featuring the Capcom Characters, and from what I recall, they have some sort of a license.

Yes, it is a copyright issue. However, if this person would have bought a real Dragons Lair Marquee, that would be legal.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Actually, Yes
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:30 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

StephenH wrote:
However, if this person would have bought a real Dragons Lair Marquee, that would be legal.

If you mean bought a real marquee and used it on the cabinet, then yes. However, a real DL marquee would not fit on that cabinet.

If you mean bought a real marquee and included it along with his custom marquee (like a backup mpeg with a real LD), then no. It is a copyright violation to sell anything that uses the DL characters and/or logo without permission.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:46 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

StephenH wrote:
However, selling a Daphne Cab is not illegal, even if the game is on the PC, and here's why:

I don't think anyone was saying it was illegal for him to sell Daphne, Stephen H. If you re-read my post you'll see that I never said it was illegal, only that I thought he was kind of being a weasel for not clearly stating what he was trying to sell. It doesn't matter now though, from what I understand, Dragon's Lair LLC dropped the hammer on his auction.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:38 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Here comes another one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3235889882

At least this seller is up-front that you're getting an emulator. I'm not quite sure which emulator, though -- MAME doesn't play any laser games in the official builds. (There are variants/test-drivers that play DL and MACH3, but I don't think that's what he's referring to here.) Daphne in disguise...?

I will refrain from speculating about the 'Web links to legal sites' for needed files... :x

-Warren.

Last edited by Warren Ondras on Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:34 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Warren Ondras wrote:
Here comes another one...

bad link? Or has it been taken down already? :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:45 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

It's still there - I was short one digit on the URL. :o It's fixed now...

Offline Profile