It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: CHD as to Laser Disk
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:42 am 
Registered  User

This is kind of off topic and I do concede that I may not get the response I am looking for but here it goes.

Do CHD (Compressed Hard Disk) games which are emulated i.e. "San Francisco Rush" (Seattle) have any similarities to a Laser Disk Game that has been converted to Mpeg and emulated and run in Daphne?

I have a good understanding of Daphne and have been running her for a few years with no problems and have always worked any problems out myself. On the other hand I am new to the CHD games and know they need a lot of HP in GHZ to run them at regular speed.

I am not familiar with CHD beyond what I have mentioned above.

It seems that the "Emulated" CHD game is a really big file that has a lot of graphics that runs with the addition of a "ROM". An "Emulated" Laser Disk game kind of seems similar in the sense that it is a very large animation or graphic file (mpeg) that also runs with the addition of a "ROM".

Are there any similarities?

If this is too off topic I will edit the Post and leave it blank....Thanks!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:23 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

In both cases, two sets of files are required. The usual rom files, plus an additional large "supplemental" file (in the case of laserdisc games, this is the MPEG related files, in the case of hard drive based games, it is the CHD file).

But any similarity ends there. The MPEG files that Daphne uses represent a digital capture of a source that was originally analog (laserdisc). CHD files represent a collection of digital files that were digital originally. In fact, it's really not much different than simply being a very large rom file.

Rom files literally represent a dump of the data that was originally stored on a set of rom chips. A CHD file is the exact same kind of dump, but the data is much larger, so it was stored on a hard drive instead.

Obviously, a CHD file can represent any kind of digital data, while the MPEGs used by Daphne only represent video and audio footage.

-Jeff "etumor"

Offline Profile