It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ebay Rip Off
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:16 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Has anybody seen the ebay seller charging £15 for a CD with Laserdisc images on it, along with Daphne ?

I think this is kinda very against the idea that is encouraged with Daphne.

EDIT: removed by moderator

Any suggestions on what can be done about this?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:23 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

You can report this as an ebay violation here:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk//help/contact_i ... sting.html

or in the future if you find a US auction:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_inli ... sting.html

That's the quickest way to deal with things on ebay.

Additionally, or if you stumble on a website selling them, notify Digital Leisure. Dragon's Lair LLC then sends out a nasty letter.

I let them know everytime I find a pirate site or auction. It's usually shut down within a few days.

By the way, I had to edit your post. I know your intentions weren't malicious in linking to a place to buy mpegs, as you were talking about how much it bothered you (it bothers me too) but please be more careful in the future. :)

We recently discovered that someone who once contributed to the daphne code and was active on this forum is selling mpegs on a website. I'm *extremely* bothered by this.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: oops
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:09 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

sorry bout the link. I wanted to show you the problem but obviously didnt think things through enough, D'oh!

I know that reporting to ebay will generally get these auctions pulled, but as the seller just relists, or makes a new account and relists it does nothing to stop the problem.

I was more wondering if there is anything more usefull that can be done against this sort of person.
Im getting bored of reporting these to ebay. I find that if you bid 1000 pounds it upsets them when the listing fee comes through, but you end up getting bad feedback against yourself then.
Sorry again for the link, I think its a shame people will take advantage of not only the original copyright work (that ive spent a fortune collecting on original disk, as im sure have many others) but of the hard work by the emu team as well.
Its the digital equivelent of kicking a puppy.

BTW, Thanks to all you guys that are working on Daphne, I have great fun playing both with an original Player as well as the mpegs ive managed to make (Super Don, Im lame and need the arrows!).

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: oops
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:58 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Pyrofer wrote:
Im getting bored of reporting these to ebay. I find that if you bid 1000 pounds it upsets them when the listing fee comes through, but you end up getting bad feedback against yourself then.

Heh... well, you can always play their game and set up a fake ebay account. :)

The best thing to do is report it to Digital Leisure. Dragon's Lair LLC's lawyers go after the individual, rather than simply pulling an auction or something. If they have to repeat the process with the same person, they will prosecute.

Pyrofer wrote:
(Super Don, Im lame and need the arrows!).

me too! :)

Offline Profile