It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:58 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Hi all.

I thought it might be interesting to track daphne usage statistics such as most popular daphne game, # of people who used daphne within last 24 hours, # of people who have used daphne at all, etc.

BUT

in order to do this I would have to add some code into daphne that would contact my server and tell me which game you are currently running.

A lot of people are paranoid about programs sending information to remote servers.

So I was wondering how people would feel about me adding something to daphne to report which game you are currently running, if I made it optional (so you don't have to participate in the automatic survey if you don't want to). Bad idea? Good idea? Let's hear your thoughts.

And remember, the full daphne source code is always available, so any 3rd party could check to see exactly what info was being sent.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 9:25 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Um, Like you said, people are SCARED about this sort of thing!
I would advise against it.
BUT, there is no reason you couldnt have a survey form on the website where people filled in their own usage manualy for you.
Personally I can only use 2 games, even though I have 4 LDs cos DL and SA are PAL, and as recently discussed wont work :sad:
So I just play SDQ and sometimes Galaxy Ranger.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:37 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

I am more interested in getting accurate numbers on the total # of daphne users out there. Offering a form on the site won't really give me accurate numbers.

But if everyone is totally against it I won't do it... but I would like people to think about it and come up with reasons why they are against it rather than just having a knee jerk reaction.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:40 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

I've got no problem with it. I only have a problem with this type of thing with closed-source projects. <shudder> Like you said everyone can see exactly what is being sent, and even change the code locally if they want to. No reason to be paranoid with that.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:41 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I'm OK with it as long as it is optional.
My cab that I run it in is not hooked up to the internet. But my computer is, I play the games on it as well...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:13 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

I think making it optional kinda defeats the purpose. Matt is looking for true, accurate stats. Not just the stats of those that choose to submit them. I think it's ok to lighten up a bit in this case, and in every case of freeware. I mean, c'mon, you can download the source! Obviously, nothing shady is going to be going on. And even if it was, the community would see it and speak out against it real quick. There's no threat here. I say Matt should add whatever he wants. It's his code and his project, and it's free. You don't have to use it if you don't want to. Besides, if your cab isn't on the internet, doesn't that solve your problem?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chip on 2002-01-30 16:18 ]</font>

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:01 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

If I did do it, I would probably make it optional only because of the paranoia some people have. This paranoia doesn't make much sense though because these same people will download and run an .EXE without hesitation and will also send passwords across the internet in cleartext. Both of these seem like they should demand a lot more concern.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 8:36 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Matt,

If you do this, make sure it allows Daphne to play, even if one is not connected to the internet (i.e. they have a dedicated cab or use a dial-up connection).

Another suggestion, is to make it non-personal info (i.e. game played, number of plays, no names or addresses). I also suggest a privacy policy of what is collected and how it will be used.

Stephen

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 4:00 pm 
Registered  User

I don't think this is a problem. I can just set my firewall to block it if I want to. You can shut off your modem for dial-up. Anyone who is running a full time internet connection without a firewall, should run (not walk) to http://www.zonelabs.com.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 9:29 pm 
DAPHNE Bronze Donator
DAPHNE Bronze Donator

dear big brother :o)

no problem here as long as:-

it doesn't transmit data whilst the games are playing (it's well known that win9x is jumpy enough :o)

it's compatible with Norton or other firewalls.

it doesn't let other none Daphne team people into my system (people find a way)

if it's open source, would other be able to hack in?

if the data you are after was sent back in the form of an e-mail that would be better.

for users that are not connected to the net, they could e-mail the output in the form of a auto-generated text file, back to you.

i can't see anyone who uses the Daphne teams baby, having any problem with letting you have this info, it's a small price to pay, give and take yeah?

when's the next release coming out then :o)

have another word with the DL2 guy and
sign me up for the next release..

regards,

GaRy:o)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 11:05 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Someone could modify the source code and put some malicious code in it, and then send you their modified EXE and hack into your system, in answer to your question.

So that's why the 'experts' recommend that you do not accept EXE's from other people and that you compile everything yourself from the source code.

The alternative is to just use the versions I provide and hope they aren't malicious. This is what most people do.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Matt Ownby on 2002-03-12 15:06 ]</font>

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 11:50 pm 
Registered  User

Like they said, Its your project your code, do as you wish! and you're not charging, and you're also not putting advertisments on anything. The Least they could do is give you simple information about what game they are playing! I think you should mandate it in, and if they don't like it they can unplug their internet... If it was a profitable project I belive you shouldn't have the right to do that, but its free and its their choice to do it, and the source is open. I personally don't really like the idea thou... Then you'll see how I play strip poker 90% of the time. (But the choice is yours) :wink:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 6:44 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

[JUN]Paddy wrote:
Like they said, Its your project your code, do as you wish! and you're not charging, and you're also not putting advertisments on anything. The Least they could do is give you simple information about what game they are playing! I think you should mandate it in, and if they don't like it they can unplug their internet... If it was a profitable project I belive you shouldn't have the right to do that, but its free and its their choice to do it, and the source is open. I personally don't really like the idea thou... Then you'll see how I play strip poker 90% of the time. (But the choice is yours) :wink:

As of right now, I am not storing ip addresses. So all information is anonymous for now.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: oh
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 12:37 am 
Registered  User

Well better yet, I can't see any reasons why people woudln't like to help the cause. It looks like you want this survey to be done with the best intentions. An anon. survey that they which they do no extra work at all, i see no reasons why they should oppose it and many to support it! and i do agree w/ the others how if you give an option to send information, i'm sure alot of new comers will say NO. Skewing up your results.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: results?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 3:18 pm 
DAPHNE Bronze Donator
DAPHNE Bronze Donator

matt,

what are the results of your information gathering?
or is it a secret?
i would be interested in seeing the results.

i myself was wondering what the most popular / most playable (best game play) and best graphically.

regards,

GaRy:o)

www.SplatThatCat.com

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:13 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

http://www.daphne-emu.com/stats.html

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:36 pm 
Registered  User

Yea id say Dragons Lair is going to stay number 1 forever on the stats because its a great classic.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Star Rider?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:43 pm 
Registered  User

Matt, do you mind if I ask why Star Rider is listed (with 30 plays no less)?
I didnt think Daphne was able to play Star Rider.
If it is capable I'll start looking for a LD.
Any information on this would be great.

Thanks
-Korbin

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:29 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

I have no idea why star rider is listed. I think I'll remedy that situation... :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:59 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

There is (was?) a totally non-functional test driver for Star Rider which MarkB started a couple years ago. The hardware for that game is pretty complex, so even if someone starts working on it again, I wouldn't expect it to be playable for quite some time...

Offline Profile