It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Framefile sparse error?!?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:14 pm 
Registered  User

I think i've set up Daphne correctly, but when I go to START after setting up the configuration I get a "framefile sparse error"

here's my log:
--DAPHNE version 0.99.7
--Command line is: C:\Program Files\Daphne\daphne.exe seektest vldp -preset 3 -framefile C:\Program Files\Daphne\framefile.txt
--CPU : GenuineIntel 1950 MHz || Mem : 256 megs
Set 640x480 at 32 bpp with flags: 0
Initializing sound system ...
No joysticks detected
Remapping input ...
Framefile Parse Error
Expected a number followed by a string, but on line 2, found this: cliff.m2v(0x20 0x20 0x63 0x6C 0x69 0x66 0x66 0x2E 0x6D 0x32 0x76 )
Mpeg Path : C:/Program Files/Daphne/roms/cliff/
---BEGIN FRAMEFILE CONTENTS---
C:\Program Files\Daphne\roms\cliff\
cliff.m2v

---END FRAMEFILE CONTENTS---
You must specify a -framefile argument when using VLDP.
If you didn't, then this is the problem. :)
Could not initialize laserdisc player!
Shutting down sound system...
Shutting down video display...

Hope someone can help - I'm still a newbie on Daphne - I think i've put the wrong files in each folder - I just realized that i'm supposed to put the roms in the roms folder, but I'm not sure where to put the rest?? in the framefile folder??

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:56 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

2 things:

1) Seektest is enabled

2) you cliffy.m2v needs a frame number on it in the framfile - the framefile syntax is wrong.

It doesn't matter where you put the mpegs or the framefile..as long as you use correct paths and syntax.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:10 pm 
Registered  User

Layer wrote:
2) you cliffy.m2v needs a frame number on it in the framfile - the framefile syntax is wrong.

I'm not sure how to fix that, do I edit the framefile? I seem to get the same error with all the games, exept ones like Dragon's Lair that has a whole heap of .m2v files - then is says it can't initiate [filename].m2v I'm a bit clueless on this

Thanks for your help Layer

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:40 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

it's all in the documentation. If you have trouble understanding it, please let us know exactly which part confuses you so we can make it more clear.

http://www.daphne-emu.com/wiki/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:51 am 
Registered  User

chip wrote:
it's all in the documentation. If you have trouble understanding it, please let us know exactly which part confuses you so we can make it more clear.

http://www.daphne-emu.com/wiki/

Thanks Chip, yeah already I tried that, but it seems very vague and not direct to the point - all I really need to know is why i'm getting a "framefile Sparse Error" and how to fix it?! Layer wrote that the .m2v file needs a frame number next to it in the framefile? what do I actually type?? do i put a 1 in front of it or!?!?? you have to remeber I am a total noob to this.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:21 am 
Registered  User

I think I am getting there - after a bit more playing around I got it to do this:

--DAPHNE version 0.99.7
--Command line is: C:\Program Files\Daphne\daphne.exe ace vldp -framefile C:\Program Files\Daphne\framefile\SpaceAce\sa.txt
No joysticks detected
Remapping input ...
Loading compressed ROM image sa_a3_u1.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image sa_a3_u2.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image sa_a3_u3.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image sa_a3_u4.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image sa_a3_u5.bin...8192 bytes read.
Framefile parse succeeded. Video/Audio directory is: C:/Program Files/Daphne/framefile/SpaceAce/./
LDP-VLDP ERROR : first video file could not be opened!

So the Framefile sparse thing works now - but now it says the video file can't be opened!?!?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Look and read carefully...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:53 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

Red Dawn wrote:
I think I am getting there - after a bit more playing around I got it to do this:

--DAPHNE version 0.99.7
--Command line is: C:\Program Files\Daphne\daphne.exe ace vldp -framefile C:\Program Files\Daphne\framefile\SpaceAce\sa.txt
No joysticks detected
Remapping input ...
Loading compressed ROM image sa_a3_u1.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image sa_a3_u2.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image sa_a3_u3.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image sa_a3_u4.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image sa_a3_u5.bin...8192 bytes read.
Framefile parse succeeded. Video/Audio directory is: C:/Program Files/Daphne/framefile/SpaceAce/./
LDP-VLDP ERROR : first video file could not be opened!

So the Framefile sparse thing works now - but now it says the video file can't be opened!?!?

Hi there, Red Dawn. There are a few things you need to keep in mind when it comes to how this version of Daphne that you are using, 0.99.7, works:

• The Framefile, amongst other things, tells the VLDP program the physical location of your Video files and Audio files as specified by the first line of text in the framefile (ie: C:/DAPHNE/Games/Space/Ace). However, it's often best and more convenient to simply place a single period sybol (ie: . ) in this area instead and keep the frame file in the same directory that your audio and video files are in.
  • The most common problem many users experience is having all of their video and audio files in one location, for example "C:/DAPHNE/Games/SpaceAce", while the framefile for the game, let's say it's called "SA.txt" for example, might say the audio and video files are in a completely different location like "D:/SpaceAce/./". The point is, if these locations are different in any way - what the framefile path says and where the files actually are on your computer - the game will not run.

Look very closely at the error you posted: do you have all of your Space Ace audio and video files in a directory on your computer called C:/Program Files/Daphne/framefile/SpaceAce/./? If all of your Space Ace audio and video files are not in this directory, as I mentioned earlier in this post, that will cause the problem you are having. To fix this, make sure that the location of your framefile path and the location of your files is exactly the same - or - simply place a period symbol on the first line of your framefile (see the before and after code posted below for an example) instead of a full path, and keep the framefile in the same physical location of that specific game's video and audio files. You can edit any game's framefile with any standard text editor, like notepad.exe in MS Windows for instance, since it is only .txt file.

Example Framefile with a defined path:

Code:
C:/DAPHNE/GAMES/BEGA

299 bega.m2v

Example Framefile without the defined path (framefile is in the same folder with the Video/Audo):

Code:

299 bega.m2v

And by the way, the error your reffering to is a "parse" error, not "sparse". Semantics aside, I hope this information helps you out with your issue.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]