It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is anyone besides me following recent mame developments?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:01 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I have no clue how fleshed out they are, but aaron giles recently completed emulation of dragon's lair in mame (sans laserdisc/mpeg support, which he is still working on). I also noticed that as of .110u5, they have inserted drivers for the alg games as well as time traveler.

Once aaron gets off his butt and makes a "virtual laserdisc" format for mame the alg games might finally be emulated!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Don't Care In The Least.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:47 pm 
Registered  User

I for one don't care in the least.

There are a couple of reasons for this:

1. I am a MacOS user. MacMame is, and remains, badly out of date. So I probably won't be able to use it for some time anyway.
2. The file size with the method he proposes is ridiculous.
3. I maintain the OSX port of Daphne, so I have a certain fondness for it.

I really wish people would stop coming in here, and the chatroom, to trumpet about this MAME addition, which is currently vaporware anyway. People just like to stir up conflict.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Is anyone besides me following recent mame developments?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:43 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

HowardC wrote:
I have no clue how fleshed out they are, but aaron giles recently completed emulation of dragon's lair in mame (sans laserdisc/mpeg support, which he is still working on). I also noticed that as of .110u5, they have inserted drivers for the alg games as well as time traveler.

Once aaron gets off his butt and makes a "virtual laserdisc" format for mame the alg games might finally be emulated!

I for one am excited that Aaron is working on ALG's and (hopefully) more games that aren't in Daphne. Aaron's work can only be a good thing for Daphne, MAME, and laserdisc game emulation as a whole because it basically amounts to another developer putting thought and effort into decoding the mysteries of these games.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Don't Care In The Least.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:19 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

zaph wrote:
I for one don't care in the least.

I really wish people would stop coming in here, and the chatroom, to trumpet about this MAME addition, which is currently vaporware anyway. People just like to stir up conflict.

It's by no means vaporware.... you can try out dragon's lair in mame right now, it just doesn't show video, rather the frame number and a random color to let you know the video is "moving".

On top of that I have no clue why people are so angry/negative about mame getting laserdisc support on this board. If joe blow mame dev was working on it I probably wouldn't give it a second glance, but this is Aaron frikkin Giles we are talking about, if anyone can make some progress on the unemulated laserdisc games, he can. And how can getting games that don't work to function ever be considered a bad thing?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:12 am 
Registered  User

The only thing I am angry or negative about it is reading people spew about it constantly in here and on IRC.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:56 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

zaph wrote:
The only thing I am angry or negative about it is reading people spew about it constantly in here and on IRC.

There have been two whole threads on the subject in this forum. Alert the media!!!!

Seriously though, I don't know what crawled up your backside, but one to two posts per site is fairly normal, which is what we are seeing. The fact that you frequent dozens of sites dosen't mean that everyone else does. 8)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:49 pm 
Registered  User

So how is Aaron "Frikkin" Giles doing with those lasergames?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Is anyone besides me following recent mame developments?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:32 am 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

Matt Ownby wrote:
I for one am excited that Aaron is working on ALG's and (hopefully) more games that aren't in Daphne. Aaron's work can only be a good thing for Daphne, MAME, and laserdisc game emulation as a whole because it basically amounts to another developer putting thought and effort into decoding the mysteries of these games.

You know it's easy to forget the difficulties a poor programer inflicts on himself . You and Aaron pour your hearts into a genuine work of art to be scrutinized by the public... I know that I posted a pretty negative reply on the mame/lasergame issue. After reading this post I realize that you guys really work hard on this stuff; harder than I would be willing to work though I have different priorities. Not being an expert on the difficulties and issues involved in getting the games working in Mame, I probably should have kept my big mouth shut. Even if it takes a substantial amount of time to get them working, it is still a zenith achievement. Thanks go to Aaron and thank you Matt for all your hard work on the Daphne project.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]