It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: utility to generate checksums?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:03 am 
Registered  User

Does anyone have a utility that would read a EPROM/PROM dumped file and generate the checksum using the same method that an reader uses to calculate a checksum, or when a game goes through self test and checks checksums to it's internal table? I looked all over and can't find one on the 'net.

Which begs one other question, when a game goes through is't initial boot up self test, can the internal table of it's checksums be identifed somehow?

Thanks,

Joe
joemagiera@ameritech.net

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:12 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

My burner's software allowed files to be read back in and it would generate the checksum.

It's a Needhams burner. I'd image most reader software would generate the checksum too.

The only sure way to identify the checksums is to disassemble the roms to find the algorithm and the values. Sometimes games don't even do a check, and even if they do it would just be for the program roms. Tile and sprite graphics roms usually aren't addressable by the processor so checking them would be impossible.

Mame has a utility that checks for stuck bits, mirrored halves and stuff like that. Loading them into a hex editor helps to see if there aren't any obvious errors too.

Offline Profile