It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ex-Disney Animators Create New Game
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:46 am 
DAPHNE Bronze Donator
DAPHNE Bronze Donator

http://www.cecropia.com/index.html

Saw this in a magazine somewhere, then I couldn't find the mag, but googling something similar to the title of this post I finally found it.

It's called "The Act". It sure looks sweet, I can hardly wait to try it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:31 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

That looks pretty cool.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: WOW! That really Looks Cool, but...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:11 am 
DAPHNE Tester
DAPHNE Tester

Hi,

WOW! That really Looks Cool!, but just a Knob for a controller...

I believe for an Interactive Movie Type Video Game to be able to make it to market in this day of age, is unlikly, unless there is something really special about it. IMO, a Knob for a Controller just dosen't seem to be enough to me.

Not to say that I wouldn't try it out, if I had the chance. At that point I would be able to give a better opinion, but for what I have seen so far, it doesn't seem any better than what I have seen over 20 years ago.

Yours Truly,

Tony M. Victorino

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:30 am 
DAPHNE Bronze Donator
DAPHNE Bronze Donator

What makes it better than the 20 year old games is that you don't have to memorize a particular sequence of moves. That's the severe limitation of the old games.

I for one welcome a game that doesn't have 20 buttons to memorize. Most of the games I play on PC use almost every button on the keyboard. My wife only plays games that use one or two mouse buttons and "P" for pause.

The proof is in the pudding though.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Don't get me wrong but...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:44 am 
DAPHNE Tester
DAPHNE Tester

Hi Huggybaby,

(What makes it better than the 20 year old games is that you don't have to memorize a particular sequence of moves. That's the severe limitation of the old games.)

THE ACT's only control is a Knob. Which is simple enough, but might be too simple. I know that in the 80's people had trouble playing Laser Disc Games, because you really didn't control anything visible on the screen. They didn't understand that you don't hold down the Joystick and buttons, but tap them at the right place at the right time. THE ACT may have this same problem and may be a little confusing. It says that you watch the Scene play out and decide on what is happening, looking for some sort of signals, and to then make the Hero become more or less agressive by turning a Knob depending on the situation of each scene at the right time
Same concept, using a different type control, that's all.

(I for one welcome a game that doesn't have 20 buttons to memorize. Most of the games I play on PC use almost every button on the keyboard. My wife only plays games that use one or two mouse buttons and "P" for pause.)

The only Laser Disc game that had more than 20 Buttons was Thayer's Quest. And I do agree that most PC Games are a bit to complicated.
But I personally would like to see these Type of Games with more Interactive Controls, not less. But I do see that this is a New and Different way of Playing these type of Games, so I might change my mind on this, when and if I ever get a chance to play this game.

(The proof is in the pudding though.)

I Agree, But I do believe that it will take something more than just good animation to make these games a money maker.

Yours Truly,

Tony M. Victorino

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Don't get me wrong but...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:54 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

Lord_Victorino wrote:
I personally would like to see these Type of Games with more Interactive Controls, not less. But I do see that this is a New and Different way of Playing these type of Games, so I might change my mind on this, when and if I ever get a chance to play this game.

More interactivity doesn't always need to mean more buttons. A part of good game design also means understanding the psychology behind player bottlenecks - one of the biggest ones being I/O controls. Developers like Nintendo have always striven to keep controls as simple and straightforward as possible while still maintaining a high level of interactivity - the latest Zelda game is a good example (Wii). Another example is Epic Games' Gears Of War intuitive yet simple control layout (X360) insofar that most commands are tied to the A button and a directional press of some sort. This knob interface may prove to be similar in terms of control depth due to simply being an analog input (many more choices than just on and off). Ultimately, time will tell how well this control scheme works out for this particular game.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:28 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Looks interesting.... Check out the news video in "the buzz" though. I love when anchor types who are too old and stuffy to even understand what a video game is try to review it. Notice how they keep saying "new technology" and "never been done before" What were these guys accountants in the 80's?

It looks to me like a very clever use of individual frames overlayed on top of a background. When you "dial back" it plays the frames in reverse until it can get to a smooth change point, where it switches to the other set of animations.

Basically it's like a flash animation, where every character and animated element on screen has it's own set of frames that are rendered independantly of each other.

It's real time interactive alright, but it looks to be "interactive" in the way a shuttle control is interactive when you are editing video.

Still for the new story alone it'd be worth a try.

Looks like a perfect fit for the wii to me, seeing as it seems to be going after the non-traditional gamer and this is about as non-traditional as you can get. A dial controller wouldn't even be necessary, you could just tilt the controller.

Offline Profile