It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject: Problems with Dragon's Lair Auto-Downloading
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:49 pm 
DAPHNE Bronze Donator
DAPHNE Bronze Donator

Maybe I'm missing something.

I have Digital Leisure's DL, DL2 & SA on DVDs and I've extracted them and all. Once I've done this I can play the games via Daphne and it's a blast.

However, it seems whenever there's an update and I use the Daphne utility to automatically update to the latest version, it seems either everything breaks, or suddenly I'd re-downloading everything.

I just upgraded to your latest version and now when I try to run Dragon's Lair, I get a Download Audio/Video progress bar and can't play the game.

I go into configuration and notice it's switched back to the virtual ld player and to automatically download the files instead of using *my* files I already extracted fromt he DVDs. Of course the problem with this is, if I switch back to my extracted video files and try to play, I get an error saying one of the video files is bad (probably because the auto-downloader overwritten some of the video files)

So, (sorry for taking so long) my question is, I have legal copies of these games. How can I prevent when updating Daphne upgrades to the latest version to have it NOT try to overwrite my existing video files?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:27 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Daphne doesn't overwrite your video/audio files. Daphne keeps it's video/audio files in it's own directory. Unless you have coincedentally made a vldp or vldp_dl folder that also had coincedentally seperated the games by title inside it AND coincidentally had your framefile or video files match the names of the ones Daphne uses then I suppose it's possible...but 99% unlikely.

I also own the 20th anniv with Daphne... the only time I had it erase my settings was during ONE update...and with that we knew it was going to happen.

Try these...

1) Make sure you are hitting APPLY not just OK

2) Try re-installing Daphne and let it update before you make any changes. This means you must click start on a game to update it. Then change your settings and click APPLY.

3) Make sure you have the rights/privledges to install software if using XP.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: not me
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:48 am 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

Well, I'm new to daphne. I guess the reason I came here is because I already own the DVD's. I wouldn't doubt the claim that most people whom have problems are using crappy mpegs from the internet but here is a vote from those whom have the DVD's. My problem's were solved by RingTFM... what little there was of it. Nevertheless, here's a vote for those of us who paid.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:43 pm 
Registered  User

I'm confused. What is it the Daphne beta downloads that is 3+gigs that it still needs the DVD for? Is it just to make sure you own it?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:53 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Simply - yes. It checks to make sure you own the game.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:18 am 
DAPHNE Bronze Donator
DAPHNE Bronze Donator

It's a really nice anti-pirating measure. I like it because it forced me to legally buy the dvd's.

Looks like a long way down.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:50 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

The main goal was to make Daphne easier to use.

Daphne is much easier to use if it auto-downloads everything for you and puts it in the right place and configures it.

But I had to do something to protect Digital Leisure's interests in order to get their seal of approval. Hence the anti-piracy stuff. I am very pleased with how much easier Daphne is to use now (as long as you have a DVD).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:29 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

DL downloads automatically....but nothing else does. Also, it says port 6881 is blocked. So I add it, and it doesn't change. Are these old problems?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:48 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

it initially appears that after adding the port (again), it's working, as I'm not getting the little warning deal. So, it's d/l'ing other files. We'll shall see.....

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:42 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

If it says that the port is blocked, then the port probably really is blocked. :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Newb questions regarding DL, DL2 SA DVDs
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:39 am 
Registered  User

Hello all,

I have the DL 20th Anniversary DVD ROM set and I'd like to use the new version of Daphne, and my question is this:

1) should I need to download all files when I have the DVD?

I ask because I don't want to spent 20+ hours downloading files that I'm sure exist on the DVD I own (aside from things like framefiles, audio files etc.). Is there somewhere in DaphneLoader where I can configure Daphne to look for the necessary files on the DVD instead of the Internet?

Thanks for any assistance/clarification,
Breaker.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:00 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Daphne cannot run the games using the DVD's files in their current state.

You can:

1) ** Recommended option: Download the versions from Daphne (these are laserdisc rips and are nicer to look at than the DVD's). If you need help the devs or anyone else will gladly help you get it going - if the need arises.

2) ** NOT recommended: Google DVD2Daph and use it on your box set DVDs to convert it to a daphne compatible format. There will be no support from the devs if you have issues with the program itself OR usage of Daphne with the files it creates. You can post for help but you can't expect a repsonse.

Last edited by Layer on Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: re: Newb questions regarding DL, DL2 SA DVDs
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:29 am 
Registered  User

Thanks Layer,

Good to know I wasn't out in left field too far :)

I'll bite the bullet and download the files (as you say, they'll be better quality than a DVD rip using DVD2Daph).

Cheers,
Breaker.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Philosophy to be made explicit and documented
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:20 am 
Registered  User

Dear Matt,

I wanted to write you privately but I could not figure out how, so I write my message here, as it is precisely related to the sticky topic. I hope you'll understand I don't mean to be polemic but I want to make a firm statement. If you don't like what I wrote, feel free to remove my message. I will understand your reasons.

I respect you a lot for your previous, current and future (GP2X) work. You gave me and many other people the joy of possessing our beloved games again.
I understand and definitely support your reasons and your choices about anti-piracy policy, I presume in close agreement with Digital Leisure, which is very likely sponsoring you. I bought original DVDs from them, even if they are not compatible any longer on the DVD player of my new computer.

**But**, I did not appreciate to discover some "hidden" and undocumented features in this new release of Daphne Loader.
Of course you may tell me "it's a beta - yours is the risk of using it, it is not meant the final one, it might accidentally delete files from your computer".

I strongly request you to improve the documentation accordingly and to make transparent all the "philosophical" choices behind it. These information should appear clearly on each documentation/FAQ/whatever. I suggest a possible format:

1) with the Daphne Loader comes a Bit Torrent Client. Users are forced to 'share' what they download, i.e. uploads cannot be turned off.

2) a user is automatically guided to download and store on his/her hard drive the ("to-be-validated") data files from ***all*** Digital Leisure games (the big 'torrent'), even if one owns only (e.g.) Space Ace and he wants to play that only game.

The nice side effect of "1"+"2" for the community will be that the number of 'peers' that will share at any time the same torrent will be larger. Downloading times for new users will decrease considerably.

3) If you are a daphne old user, owing legally the Digital Leisure DVDs and you have converted them previously by dvd2daph and stored the converted files on your hard disk, beware!
Since you cannot be distinguished from who bought/got illegally the mpeg, the Daphne Loader might have under some conditions the content of your hard drive (i.e. the directory containing the game) to be deleted automatically (or partly overwritten and thus made unusable) without alert.

The side effect of "1"+"2"+"3", after a very long time, will be that only the Digital Leisure material will circulate, while pirated material should greatly decrease.

By the way, "2" might prompt people to saying "hmmm I have it already on my hard disk, so maybe I just buy the original and instantly play that game".

I apologize in advance should any of my analysis be wrong and the result of a misunderstanding or of my ignorance, but it has been done in good faith.
Thank you once more for your constant efforts in the last few years. In order to show you my general appreciation, I will donate (even if a very modest amount).

Michele

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:07 pm 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

Well it appears i must respond to this from meekeee.

I realize that maybe you dont understand what matt has done but maybe i can explain. First off he with the new daphneloader has cut 75% of the questions and problems people had with daphne before. Also since DVD2daph is no longer supported it is removed from the equation for this purpose. Imagine this: No more why doesnt this mpeg i make work or why cant i get DVD2daph to work when it is discontinued.

I love to help newbies but do not miss the why doesnt this work or why doesnt that work. Its all auto. Just press and play.

By the way, i still have on my PC the files i made from DVD2daph and in no way did the new beta delete any of those files. Might help if ya do a little reading before posting about this..

As towards the sharing of files through Bit Torrent, you are most welcome that I and others arent as selfish as you or you would still be waiting on getting any files, i am not ashamed to say i share for the good and not just take and run like some people...

Have you gotten all the files from Daphnedownloader? And if so are you sharing or are you another of what the emu community calls a leech??

Matt deserves praise not demands on his time. I for one was happy with the first beta, yet new improvments come faster then i expected and i wont put anything but good words to him..

Thanks for allowing me to rant, but i see a first time poster being a bit pushy quite upsetting..

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:35 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Thanks for your support, monkee. I appreciate it.

Themonkee wrote:
Well it appears i must respond to this from meekeee.

I realize that maybe you dont understand what matt has done but maybe i can explain. First off he with the new daphneloader has cut 75% of the questions and problems people had with daphne before. Also since DVD2daph is no longer supported it is removed from the equation for this purpose. Imagine this: No more why doesnt this mpeg i make work or why cant i get DVD2daph to work when it is discontinued.

I love to help newbies but do not miss the why doesnt this work or why doesnt that work. Its all auto. Just press and play.

By the way, i still have on my PC the files i made from DVD2daph and in no way did the new beta delete any of those files. Might help if ya do a little reading before posting about this..

As towards the sharing of files through Bit Torrent, you are most welcome that I and others arent as selfish as you or you would still be waiting on getting any files, i am not ashamed to say i share for the good and not just take and run like some people...

Have you gotten all the files from Daphnedownloader? And if so are you sharing or are you another of what the emu community calls a leech??

Matt deserves praise not demands on his time. I for one was happy with the first beta, yet new improvments come faster then i expected and i wont put anything but good words to him..

Thanks for allowing me to rant, but i see a first time poster being a bit pushy quite upsetting..

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:15 pm 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

About the port 6881 being blocked...after the loader auto-updated recently, I get that message when starting the loader. Examining my Kaspersky internet protection didn't show anything, and I am not using the Windows XP firewall. The loader also showed that the bit-torrent file transfers were occurring. Not sure if I have to do anything or where to look in Kasprersky...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:16 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

kenaan wrote:
About the port 6881 being blocked...after the loader auto-updated recently, I get that message when starting the loader. Examining my Kaspersky internet protection didn't show anything, and I am not using the Windows XP firewall. The loader also showed that the bit-torrent file transfers were occurring. Not sure if I have to do anything or where to look in Kasprersky...

If you have a router (ie if more than one computer in your house can connect to the internet), then you'll also need to set up port forwarding on your router.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:53 am 
Registered  User

Hi all

Ok, so I have absolutely no original laser discs/DVDs (though I'll probably donate, because this is such a brilliant idea; I haven't played these games in over twenty years), and this will unlikley change as I"m in Australia and the US discs don't seem to be compatable (somone may want to correct me on this). But I digress...

My problem/query is similar to that of the OP: after downloading Badlands and Astro-thingy, and having a good old time reliving my teens years, I closed down the Daphne-loader. This seems to have been a big mistake, as when I restarted the loader and tried to play Badlands again, the loader automatically started downloading the game files again. Does this mean that everytime that I want to play these games I have to download a 600-800mb game file?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:57 am 
Registered  User

Never mind, I'm being thtoopid...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:36 pm 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

Thats ok Charlotte, we forgive you..... Actually thats a mistake anyone could make, dont forget if something in the readmes or the FAQ doesnt make sense come to the chat room or post here so maybe it can be explained better or updated. Just realize that the chat room may have people there but not always watching their screens so if you do stop in stick around a bit so someone who is there can see....

Game On......

:lol:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:13 pm 
Registered  User

Actually, there is one thing: is it possible to save high scores on any of these games?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:11 am 
Registered  User

Has anyone noticed that Interstellar seems to use the same set of sound FX as Discs Of Tron?

Five faves in order of preference (sans games that need a disk):

1. Badlands
2. Super Don Quixote
3. Cobra Command
4. Road Blasters
5. M.A.C.H. 3

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:41 am 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

Finally... another person who believes Badlands is #1

:lol:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Can not get auto download to work
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:23 am 
Registered  User

When i install and run DaphneLoader it always give 'HTTP Header Error' in the progress window. I researched online and found problem with port 6881 and have since opened that port on my router, but i still can not auto download.

Will this prevent me from running the games? Anyone have similar error that can shed any light?[/img]

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:12 am 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

what OS are you using? And have you tried to get the beta again and install it again?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:44 am 
Registered  User

I am using Win 2K SP2. I have not tried reloading the beta, but if i run "daphne lair nodlp" from the command line, i do see the 'test' screen.

<Update>

After getting the lastest (daphne header says V1.0-2.2.1) i do still receive the 'HTTP Header Error' message on the load status screen.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: DaphneLoader Problem
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:01 am 
Registered  User

First off - a big thank you to anyone that reads these posting boards and spends their valuable time responding. I currently find myself on the side of needing help instead of providing help.

After further research i found the line that tells you to use Telnet to verify connection status. When i issue the following command:

Telnet <enter>
Open 75.81.148.250 <enter>

I get the following error:
Could not open a connection to host:Connect Failed

i soooooo hope some one can help me. Now that i found dragon's lair - i simply MUST get it to work.

Failure is not an option :cry:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:31 pm 
Registered  User

I downloaded Daphne and inserted my dragons lair 1 & 2 disks and it auto downloaded everything and it was working great. Then something happened and now it tries to auto download the support files again and it just sits there. It's been trying to download for days and now of course the games don't work. What happened? And its there some way I can manually download these support files and fix this situation? I've made no changes to the computer (Windows XP Pro). Like I said, can I download whatever this thing is looking for manually?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:30 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

rxd wrote:
I downloaded Daphne and inserted my dragons lair 1 & 2 disks and it auto downloaded everything and it was working great. Then something happened and now it tries to auto download the support files again and it just sits there. It's been trying to download for days and now of course the games don't work. What happened? And its there some way I can manually download these support files and fix this situation? I've made no changes to the computer (Windows XP Pro). Like I said, can I download whatever this thing is looking for manually?

The daphne server crashed a few days ago and the bit torrent tracker wasn't working as a result. I just fixed it now that you have brought the issue to my attention.

Offline Profile