It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Advices for capturing important LD footages
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:23 pm 
Registered  User

Hi the team,

I'm starting the process to capture the *famous* footage from Galaxian3 'Project Dragoon' and 'Attack of the Zolgear' games 8)

OK, here's the questions :

Because I need the best quality possible, I've choose these options in my capture device :

reso : 720 x 576 x 30 frames per sec (29,270 to be precise) / NTSC
PCM,44100Hz, 16bits, Stereo

No compression for the "master" pure .AVI file : approx 30 GB per laser disc.

Here's a frame result :

...as you can see it looks great, but I would avoid to have that black border around the picture.
Maybe the high resolution capture is too high I Mean 720 x 576 too big for a laser disc signal ? What is your opinion ?

Namco21 emulation is close to be done (see http://machna.com/games/index.html ) ... let's prepare the thing for the next step ... a Galaxian 3 Theater emulator :roll: :wink:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:21 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

You should capture in 720 wide resolution. The borders on the sides are fairly common and they appear because this area of the disc is usually hidden from the viewer. I think it's best to capture in 720 and then use software (like virtualdub) to crop out the borders on the sides.

As far as the 576 vertical resolution, if this is an NTSC disc, then I don't think you will get any benefit to capturing beyond 480 lines tall. But I could be wrong.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:29 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Hi Bruno,

Short answer: 720x480 is your best choice.

As Matt said, using 720 shows the entire "active" image area, plus a small amount of the blanking area. This way you know for sure that you aren't missing anything on the sides.

There are 480 "visible" lines in NTSC. Capturing more than this usually doesn't work at all, or results in a black border as it did for you.

Some capture hardware will let you grab a few more lines (486), but it's not that important. However, if the hardware supports 720x486, then I do generally use this setting. It may pick up an extra line or two of picture, some non-visible lines with calibration signals, or just show that there's nothing there at all.

What player and capture hardware are you using? That sample image looks pretty nice.

-Warren.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:24 pm 
Registered  User

THanks for theses informations my friends.

To read the laser disc, I'm using a SONY LDP-3600 PAL/NTSC player

My capture device is a simple USB capture 'Easycap' pal/ntsc :

I'm really happy regarding the quality the image quality too 8)

My priority now is to capture asap all the footage on all the laser discs (who knows what'll happens with these media :-? ) with the best quality as possible. It will always possible to decrease the quality if needed :wink:

For the moment, no compression at all for the "master".

Here's other samples of it :

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:01 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Darth Nuno wrote:
To read the laser disc, I'm using a SONY LDP-3600 PAL/NTSC player

I've used that one before. I found the video to be somewhat noisy, but otherwise sharp with decent color.

Darth Nuno wrote:
My capture device is a simple USB capture 'Easycap' pal/ntsc

Interesting... I looked it up -- it uses a Philips SAA7113 video decoder chip, which is one of the better ones that has a comb 2D filter. It's not as fancy as the 3D decoders, but they trade one set of limitations/artifacts for another, so 2D is still a reasonable way to go.

Darth Nuno wrote:
For the moment, no compression at all for the "master".

You can cut down your file size significantly if you use the HuffYUV codec. It's lossless (sort of like a zip file), so you're not compromising the image quality at all. You should be able to cut your file size in half or more.

Also, if you have the option, don't capture in RGB -- use one of the YUV colorspaces instead (YUV, YUY2, UYVY.)

The brightness/contrast settings you are using are pretty good. Here's a waveform view of your ZolgSize3 sample:

Ideally, the values should be mostly between the dotted lines -- 16 should be full black and 235 full white. This is standard for analog-sourced broadcast video, since it gives you some extra room for signals that go slightly below black or above white.

If you bump your brightness down a notch or two, you'll probably be just about right. I'm a bit surprised by this; most capture devices default to a 0-255 scale, since that gives the maximum contrast. (It's also often used for digital-sourced content, as this will never go beyond black/white.) It's nice to see one that's more "proper" for a good quality capture of analog sources.

Good luck!

-Warren.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:05 am 
Registered  User

Your resolution should be 720x480 if it is NTSC, not 720x576. And set your white/black levels properly. It may take several attempts, but you don't want to clip important detail. Watch your gamma too. My driver had it set default to about 1.6 (!). I wound up setting it back to 1 (no gamma).

If you have an LD player with svideo out, it may help to use that. But it's not always best to use it since it is written to the LD in composite anyway. It would be best to try both ways out and compare them.

Audio should be captured 44.1KHz 16 bit. Try to get a player that has digital audio output, and you'll want to have digital audio input on your sound card. You shouldn't have to worry about audio levels if you capture it digitally.

Darryl

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:12 am 
Registered  User

Warren Ondras wrote:
If you bump your brightness down a notch or two, you'll probably be just about right.

Bumping brightness down will lower your black levels. If you want to bring the whites down, back off on contrast a bit. I know it seems backwards, but that's the way it is.

That said, I agree that bringing brightness down a bit is a good idea. It will put those blacks just a little darker which I think needs to be done.

Darryl

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:31 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

dphirschler wrote:
Warren Ondras wrote:
If you bump your brightness down a notch or two, you'll probably be just about right.

Bumping brightness down will lower your black levels. If you want to bring the whites down, back off on contrast a bit. I know it seems backwards, but that's the way it is.

That said, I agree that bringing brightness down a bit is a good idea. It will put those blacks just a little darker which I think needs to be done.

Darryl

This thread is almost 2 years old.

Offline Profile