It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject: Scoreport Command Line Syntax
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:11 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

In the Daphne Wiki for command line options it states "-scoreport <port number> : Sets which parallel port to use with the scoreboard. 0 correspond to LPT1. ". In a post by Brad O on these forums Brad states that "The -scoreport switch now accepts 0 (LPT1), 1 (LPT2) or the address of the parallel port that your scoreboard is connected to.".

So, Brad infers that one can enter the ports address - does this mean that I can enter an address such as "EC00" (i.e. the starting I/O address for my PCI parallel port card) in the -scoreport command line? If so, what is the correct syntax to get Daphne to accept this command line?

I have tried "-scoreport EC00" without success.

Many thanks for any help.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Scoreport Command Line Syntax
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:37 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Ikrananka wrote:
In the Daphne Wiki for command line options it states "-scoreport <port number> : Sets which parallel port to use with the scoreboard. 0 correspond to LPT1. ". In a post by Brad O on these forums Brad states that "The -scoreport switch now accepts 0 (LPT1), 1 (LPT2) or the address of the parallel port that your scoreboard is connected to.".

So, Brad infers that one can enter the ports address - does this mean that I can enter an address such as "EC00" (i.e. the starting I/O address for my PCI parallel port card) in the -scoreport command line? If so, what is the correct syntax to get Daphne to accept this command line?

I have tried "-scoreport EC00" without success.

Many thanks for any help.

Try specifying your address in decimal form instead of hexadecimal. Instead of E000, try 57344. I just looked at the source and it looks like that should work.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:27 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

[quote="Matt Ownby"]Try specifying your address in decimal form instead of hexadecimal. Instead of E000, try 57344. I just looked at the source and it looks like that should work.[/quote]

Oooops - the address is actually EC00 which is 60416 - so I tried this "-scoreport 60416" and it didn't work. I have just experimented with a range of setting and checked the Daphne log for the results. These are shown below:

"-scoreport 0" => "Opening parallel port at address 0x378"
"-scoreport 1" => "Opening parallel port at address 0x278"
"-scoreport 2" => "Opening parallel port at address 0x2"
"-scoreport EC00" => "Opening parallel port at address 0xffffec00"
"-scoreport 60416" => "Opening parallel port at address 0x416"
"-scoreport EC0" => "Opening parallel port at address 0xEC0"

From the above it appears to be that the -scoreport syntax will currently only accept three digits (and if greater than three digits are entered then the address defaults to 0xfffyyyy (where yyyy is the entered address)) - does the code confirm this? Can the code be corrected to accept four digit inputs?

Thanks for your help.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:38 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Ikrananka wrote:
Can the code be corrected to accept four digit inputs?

I'll fix it if you donate $25 toward server hosting costs (see my signature). I can have a fix within 24 hours. (if I can't fix it I'll refund you)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:45 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

[quote="Matt Ownby"][quote="Ikrananka"]Can the code be corrected to accept four digit inputs?[/quote]

I'll fix it if you donate $25 toward server hosting costs (see my signature). I can have a fix within 24 hours. (if I can't fix it I'll refund you)[/quote]

Daphne has given me a lot of pleasure and will continue to do so. Really want to support your efforts Matt (and the rest of the Daphne team) and so have donated $50. Hope this helps.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:47 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Ikrananka wrote:
Matt Ownby wrote:
Ikrananka wrote:
Can the code be corrected to accept four digit inputs?

I'll fix it if you donate $25 toward server hosting costs (see my signature). I can have a fix within 24 hours. (if I can't fix it I'll refund you)

Daphne has given me a lot of pleasure and will continue to do so. Really want to support your efforts Matt (and the rest of the Daphne team) and so have donated $50. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I'll get started on it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:29 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

Not wanting to push my luck but while you're editing that piece of code, would it be possible to add support for 64-bit systems (e.g. Windows 7 64-bit). I believe that INPOUT32.DLL is currently used by Daphne and have read that this MAY work with 64-bit systems (but probably not). INPOUT64.DLL is also available, so if this could be included and supported by Daphne that would be great.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:32 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Ikrananka wrote:
Not wanting to push my luck but while you're editing that piece of code, would it be possible to add support for 64-bit systems (e.g. Windows 7 64-bit). I believe that INPOUT32.DLL is currently used by Daphne and have read that this MAY work with 64-bit systems (but probably not). INPOUT64.DLL is also available, so if this could be included and supported by Daphne that would be great.

I'll keep that in mind and if it's not too much trouble I'll add it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:21 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

[quote="Matt Ownby"][quote="Ikrananka"]Not wanting to push my luck but while you're editing that piece of code, would it be possible to add support for 64-bit systems (e.g. Windows 7 64-bit). I believe that INPOUT32.DLL is currently used by Daphne and have read that this MAY work with 64-bit systems (but probably not). INPOUT64.DLL is also available, so if this could be included and supported by Daphne that would be great.[/quote]

I'll keep that in mind and if it's not too much trouble I'll add it.[/quote]
Thanks Matt.

There is some useful info here on INPOUT32.DLL and INPOUTx64.DLL (http://www.highrez.co.uk/Downloads/InpOut32/default.htm). It would seem that the version of INPOUT32.DLL here may well work on 64-bit systems without any modificaton to the calling executable's code - just that this version of INPOUT32.DLL would need to be the one bundled with Daphne. Alternatively, the "pure" INPOUTx64.DLL could be used. If you need me to do any testing of the new code just let me know.

Thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:57 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Ikrananka wrote:
There is some useful info here on INPOUT32.DLL and INPOUTx64.DLL (http://www.highrez.co.uk/Downloads/InpOut32/default.htm). It would seem that the version of INPOUT32.DLL here may well work on 64-bit systems without any modificaton to the calling executable's code - just that this version of INPOUT32.DLL would need to be the one bundled with Daphne. Alternatively, the "pure" INPOUTx64.DLL could be used. If you need me to do any testing of the new code just let me know.

Thanks

Just an update.. I wasn't able to pull out my scoreboard and plug it into my PC last night so I won't have a patch within the 24 hour period I initially committed to. It'll be at least another day. I did look at the latest "inpout" stuff and looked at the Daphne code and it looks like it will need a little tweaking but nothing major.

I'll post another update tomorrow.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:25 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

[quote="Matt Ownby"]Just an update.. I wasn't able to pull out my scoreboard and plug it into my PC last night so I won't have a patch within the 24 hour period I initially committed to. It'll be at least another day. I did look at the latest "inpout" stuff and looked at the Daphne code and it looks like it will need a little tweaking but nothing major.

I'll post another update tomorrow.[/quote]

Hey, no problem. I'm just so glad that you're going to look into this at all. Looking forward to the patch whenever you have it ready. Again, if you need me to do any testing just let me know.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:31 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Ikrananka wrote:
Hey, no problem. I'm just so glad that you're going to look into this at all. Looking forward to the patch whenever you have it ready. Again, if you need me to do any testing just let me know.

I've pushed out an update for daphne.exe thru daphneloader that I have tested on my Windows 7 x64 install. It is working fine. I used the inpout binaries from the link you helpfully provided.

NOTE that the readme for that URL you gave says that the lib won't work with a PCI parallel port card, so you may still be stuck. I've just ensured that the problem isn't with the Daphne code itself by testing it on my PC (which has a parallel port built into the motherboard). Maybe we can convince Bard to test it on his setup too since he is apparently using a PCI-based parallel port.

The correct command line syntax now is to specify the parallel port's address in hex like you were originally doing. Here is what my daphne_log.txt file looks like:

Code:

--DAPHNE version 1.0.12
--Command line is: daphne.exe lair vldp -framefile D:/daphne/vldp_dl/lair/lair.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir D:\daphne -fastboot -bank 0 11111001 -bank 1 00100111 -sound_buffer 2048 -x 640 -y 480 -opengl -scoreboard -scoreport 378
--CPU : GenuineIntel 2650 MHz || Mem : 4096 megs
--OpenGL: Compiled In
--RGB2YUV Function: MMX
--Line Blending Function: MMX
--Audio Mixing Function: MMX
Setting alternate home dir:
D:\daphne
Setting sound buffer size to 2048
Setting screen width to 640
Setting screen height to 480
Enabling external scoreboard...
Setting scoreboard port to 378
Set 640x480 at 32 bpp with flags: 2
Initializing sound system ...
GI Sound chip initialized at 2000000 Hz
No joysticks detected
Remapping input ...
Loading compressed ROM image dl_f2_u1.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image dl_f2_u2.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image dl_f2_u3.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image dl_f2_u4.bin...8192 bytes read.
Framefile parse succeeded. Video/Audio directory is: D:/daphne/vldp_dl/lair/./
OpenGL v2.0 is supported.
Opening parallel port at address 0x0378
Booting ROM ...
Play
LDP : disc is already playing, play command ignored
Play
Display disable received
Search to 323 received - [25] Attract Mode, Sequence 0 Attract Mode
search succeeded d0
Play
Display disable received
Search to 306 received - [25] Attract Mode, Sequence 0 Attract Mode
search succeeded d0
LDP NOTE: ignoring seek because we're already on that frame
search succeeded d0
Search to 1424 received - [ 0] Introduction, Sequence 0
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 1823 received - [ 0] Introduction, Sequence 3
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 3561 received - [ 3] Flaming Ropes, Sequence 0
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 3963 received - [ 3] Flaming Ropes, Sequence 8 Death Scene
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 18226 received - [18] Drink Me, Sequence 1 Resurrection Scene
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 18282 received - [18] Drink Me, Sequence 2
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 18486 received - [18] Drink Me, Sequence 5 Death Scene
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 22682 received - [1f] Underground River, Sequence 1 Resurrection Scene
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 22738 received - [1f] Underground River, Sequence 2
Closing parallel port
Freeing memory used to store audio stream...
Shutting down sound system...
Shutting down video display...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:06 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

[quote="Matt Ownby"]I've pushed out an update for daphne.exe thru daphneloader that I have tested on my Windows 7 x64 install. It is working fine. I used the inpout binaries from the link you helpfully provided.[/quote]

I've just tried DaphneLoader and no update. Any idea how long it takes for updates to be available to users?

On a forum subject, how do I get BBCode to turn ON? It's on by default in my profiles and yet when I start topics is it shown as OFF.

Thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:48 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Ikrananka wrote:
Matt Ownby wrote:
I've pushed out an update for daphne.exe thru daphneloader that I have tested on my Windows 7 x64 install. It is working fine. I used the inpout binaries from the link you helpfully provided.

I've just tried DaphneLoader and no update. Any idea how long it takes for updates to be available to users?

On a forum subject, how do I get BBCode to turn ON? It's on by default in my profiles and yet when I start topics is it shown as OFF.

Thanks

You need to start a game for it to grab the daphne update. (there are two updates, daphneloader and daphne.. and yes I know this is confusing)

As for the bbcode, I'm not sure what the deal is but I have noticed the issue myself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:02 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

You also may need to manually install the driver using the InstallDriver.exe program found in this zip archive: http://www.highrez.co.uk/scripts/download.asp?package=InpOutBinaries

That's what I ended up doing. (note it's the 32-bit driver even on x64 windows because daphne is a 32-bit application)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:09 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

[quote="Matt Ownby"]You need to start a game for it to grab the daphne update. (there are two updates, daphneloader and daphne.. and yes I know this is confusing)

As for the bbcode, I'm not sure what the deal is but I have noticed the issue myself.[/quote]

Thank you so much Matt - I can confirm that my scoreboard is now working perfectly via my Rosewill RC-302 PCI parallel port card using the following command line: -scoreboard - scoreport ec00. I cannot thank you enough.

I did have a problem with the second player's Lives display but that appears to be a dry solder problem (physically tapping the display got it to work) - so some resoldering to do there.

Now, I just need to hook up my Space Ace annunciator board to the scoreboard and see if I can get that working at the same time :)

BTW - could you update my forum profile to reflect that I have donated - would be nice to have the nice icons under my name in posts :)

Many thanks again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:11 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

[quote="Matt Ownby"]You also may need to manually install the driver using the InstallDriver.exe program found in this zip archive: [url]http://www.highrez.co.uk/scripts/download.asp?package=InpOutBinaries[/url]

That's what I ended up doing. (note it's the 32-bit driver even on x64 windows because daphne is a 32-bit application)[/quote]

Interestingly, I didn't need to do this. I just let DaphneLoader complete the update, set my command line parameters and it worked.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:59 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Ikrananka wrote:
Thank you so much Matt - I can confirm that my scoreboard is now working perfectly via my Rosewill RC-302 PCI parallel port card using the following command line: -scoreboard - scoreport ec00. I cannot thank you enough.

woohoo!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:24 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Dang, I just barely saw this thread. I didn't realize there was a problem... Last I tested, it worked fine on my 64 Bit Windows 7 and PCI Parallel port card.

Glad it is even better now! I'll have to try it myself when I get a chance.

Brad O.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:21 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

So, I hate to resurrect an old thread but.....my external scoreboard no longer responds to Daphne at all. I found it stopped working under Windows 7 64-bit and now having upgraded to Windows 10 64-bit along with a new motherboard and now a new PCIe parallel port card it is still not working. The scoreboard is active and does change charaters displayed when I play around with the parallel port settings in Device Manager BUT it does NOT respond at all to Daphne.

Has something changed in Daphne that may have broken this functionality? Or has something changed in Windows that has broken it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:54 am 
Registered  User

hi guys,
I'm new to setting up Daphne in a DL cab on a 64 bit windows 7 machine.
I'm having 2 problems

Problem 1

I have Daphneloader in my start up folder and runs perfect to start screen.
id like to be able to run a program "run command" that hits the start button in daphne loader, rather than messing with run commands to each game...this way i can select each game i want to auto start that day from the Daphneloader screen.

escaping out and then being able to select a different game would be awesome.

Problem 2
although I'm a mac guy I've been trying to connect the score board to LPT 1

in the bios
My parallel port is set to automatic and bidirectional.
if i switch to enable i can change settings to Base I/O 378 (0 LPT1 i believe)

Win 7 home edition
Device manager settings
Printer port (LPT1)

Settings are as follows:
use any interrupt assigned to the port
enable legacy plug and play detection
LPT port number = LPT1
I/O Range 0378 - 037F
IRQ (05)

Daphne loader/ DL settings
Advanced, display command line enabled
Custom line settings
-scoreboard -scoreport 0378

Can anyone assist with the correct setup for this pleas?
Thanks from the newbie!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:40 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

So, I checked the daphne_log.txt file and it has the following lines:

--Command line is: daphne.exe lair vldp -framefile C:\Daphne\vldp_dl\lair\lair.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir C:\Daphne -scoreboard -scoreport 0 -bank 0 11111001 -bank 1 00100111 -sound_buffer 2048 -x 640 -y 480 -scoreboard -scoreport DFF8
Opening parallel port at address 0xFFFFDFF8

So, it looks like the incorrect parallel port command is being passed again (i.e. 0xFFFFDFF8 instead of 0xDFF8), which is very weird as it was working back in 2011. The versions of Daphne and Daphne_Loader haven't changed. Could this be an issue related to Microsoft updates to Windows 7 which have carried through to Windows 10? It was originally working under Windows 7 but sometime later stopped working. In any case, Matt would it be at all possible for you to take a look at this again and see if you adjust the code so that the correct parallel port address is being opened?

Thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:27 pm 
Registered  User

yes but id have to switch command lines for each game swap..i didn't want to run hyper spin to select..

wondering if there is a command to daphne loader "start button"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:53 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

studiopaul wrote:
yes but id have to switch command lines for each game swap..i didn't want to run hyper spin to select..

wondering if there is a command to daphne loader "start button"

I wasn't replying to you. This is a thread that I started many years ago and it is specific to the external scoreboard issues that I was, and am again, having. Can you please start a new thread for your issues instead of hijacking mine.

@Matt - my question still stands regarding my problem.

Thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:29 am 
Registered  User

My apologies , i didn't realize.., I have learned a lot from your thread.. thank you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:55 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

Bump - hoping Matt will chime in here.....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:20 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Ikrananka wrote:
So, I checked the daphne_log.txt file and it has the following lines:

--Command line is: daphne.exe lair vldp -framefile C:\Daphne\vldp_dl\lair\lair.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir C:\Daphne -scoreboard -scoreport 0 -bank 0 11111001 -bank 1 00100111 -sound_buffer 2048 -x 640 -y 480 -scoreboard -scoreport DFF8
Opening parallel port at address 0xFFFFDFF8

So, it looks like the incorrect parallel port command is being passed again (i.e. 0xFFFFDFF8 instead of 0xDFF8), which is very weird as it was working back in 2011. The versions of Daphne and Daphne_Loader haven't changed. Could this be an issue related to Microsoft updates to Windows 7 which have carried through to Windows 10? It was originally working under Windows 7 but sometime later stopped working. In any case, Matt would it be at all possible for you to take a look at this again and see if you adjust the code so that the correct parallel port address is being opened?

Thanks

No, I haven't touched the code in years (since 2009 or something crazy).

This looks like a sign/precision problem.

I pulled the code up and checked. It looks like parallel.h may need to be changed if you want to use an address that is bigger than 0x7fff :

Code:
   // base port address (last value reserved for custom address)
   static short m_base0[3];

// base+2 port address (last value reserved for custom address)
   static short m_base2[3];

Adding the word "unsigned" before the word "short" for both of those lines may fix the problem.

I have the source code available to the public so if someone really wants to, they can build their own daphne.exe; Unfortunately, I don't have enough interest to create a nice daphneloader update for this.

Alternatively, keeping the parallel port address below 0x7fff would probably also work.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:17 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

Thanks Matt - really appreciate you giving me some pointers to resolve this. I'll make some time over the coming weeks to investigate this and will report back here with the outcome.

Good luck with Dexter :)

Offline Profile