It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Attact Mode for Daphne and Frontends
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:00 pm 
Registered  User

Hi,

Ok another off-the-wall project to incorporate the attract videos of MAME, Daphne and Zinc is being started.

I would like to have my cab play attract videos of Daphne's emulation of Esh, SDQ, DL, CH, SA and Begas (I'm getting Cobra Command next week ;-) ) just like Chip mentioned in his wish list.

The MAME attract videos would be a collection of 5 registered games, that would play after each other. All of the attract videos would be run off the PC, while idle.

So I have some choices:

Do I make it like a screen saver and fire them off after inactivity for 1 minute?

Do I combine the attract video into one stream, and make a mini movie?

Do I get out my VB and make it so the attract video plays, and I can choose the game as per attract video?

So many ways....

This is where I am stumped. If anyone else has done this, what was their course of action?

I'm also open for distribution of these videos, if anyone wants them.

Regards,

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Attact Mode for Daphne and Frontends
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 9:37 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

lloydcom wrote:
I would like to have my cab play attract videos of Daphne's emulation of Esh, SDQ, DL, CH, SA and Begas (I'm getting Cobra Command next week ;-) ) just like Chip mentioned in his wish list.

I'm still planning on finishing this project, however it's currently on the back burner due to another laser-related project I'm wookin on. My frontend project will resume sometime after the laserarcade guys release their new product... I want it to "emulate" (or at least simulate) their hardware as well.

lloydcom wrote:
So I have some choices:
...snip...
If anyone else has done this, what was their course of action?

For my frontend, I'm just using the existing video footage on the hd or in the disc player. After all, you've already got it if you have daphne. You shouldn't need another copy. It runs as a custom "game" within daphne (kinda like seektest)

lloydcom wrote:
I'm also open for distribution of these videos, if anyone wants them.

Once again Robert, mpeg distribution is *NOT* allowed here. Let's not go here again... You have been warned on more than one occasion. Please respect the rules, or further action will be necessary.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Mpeg Distribution
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 7:25 am 
Registered  User

Chip,

No I was talking about my MAME videos.

Anyone can get the intros for Dragon's Lair and Space Ace. These are available free from Digital Leisure's site.

I'm totally against distributing proper Mpegs of Laserdisk games. The lucky few who own the games will have to supply them.

I would use Arcade OS for the front-end, as it currently supports Daphne via the command line.

I would like to hear from you how you are going about this attract feature. Did you manage to program the LPD to do this?

Let me know.

Regards,

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mpeg Distribution
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 7:26 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

lloydcom wrote:
Chip,

No I was talking about my MAME videos.

Robert,

I'll say it again. Talk of Mpeg distribution is *NOT* allowed here. End of discussion.

lloydcom wrote:
I would like to hear from you how you are going about this attract feature. Did you manage to program the LPD to do this?

Yes, I'm successfully controlling the LDP. At least, I know it works with a Sony 1450. After all, there's not much point to the frontend with a real LDP if you don't have text overlay. Although, I am hoping to have it detect what disc you put in the player, and launch the game accordingly, so that might be useful to some without overlay, but that's for phase 2.

Offline Profile