It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New button mappings
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:38 pm 
Registered  User

All of this snow I'm getting in NJ at least gave me some time to sit back and work on implementing some button mapping code into daphne and into the loader app. Here are some screenshots of the interface changes I made. If peops like it, and Matt and the other developers approve, I can submit these changes to go into the next release.

Interface Changes: mostly cosmetic so I could see all the games,
but also added dbl clicking on the names to start them

New button on bottom:

New Button config screen:

Russ

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:59 am 
Registered  User

I Like it! (but i am nobody) Something else that would be nice is if different buttons could be assigned to different games. That may be a real pain though. (I can build any circuit you like but I can't program my TI graphing calculator!)
Todd

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:10 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Nice work, Russ!

I still like the 'compact' look of the original window design, but I suppose the larger view is more useful. (I've been working at merging alternate ROM sets and such to reduce the clutter on the list, which helps as well.) What does everyone else think?

The joystick button mapping stuff is excellent! Fits right in...

Supporting individual key/button configs for each game wouldn't be all that hard to write. The loader would just need to build the dapinput.ini file on-the-fly if the default settings weren't being used. But that is just big enough of a change that I didn't particularly want to make it a priority... :)

I'm very glad to see folks making mods to the loader. It was a bit of a rush job, but I tried to make it fairly extensible...

-Warren.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:11 am 
Registered  User

Thanks Warren. I did compact the main screen a little more in the end, but its overall about the same size. One thing that would be nice I suppose would be to only show games which have roms in place. That way you wouldn't have to look at games you coundn't play anyways. At the least a checkbox could be used to "Show All". Something to think about.. shouldn't be that hard.

I can't think of a good reason that you would want to have different layouts for different games, but then again, I'm not familliar with all the games emulated here. DL, SA, CC, CH, and FF are about the only LD games I've ever played...

Pending Matt giving me write access to CVS I will commit the changes I've made so people can tinker with it if you like.

Russ

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:45 pm 
Registered  User

ok those chages I made were committed, so anyone who's interested can get them from the CVS repository

Russ

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:59 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

The most common reason I've heard for wanting keymaps for individual games is the 'flight-stick' orientation up/down moves in Astron Belt and Cobra Command. If you're not playing with a flight stick (and most people aren't, I'd assume), then it feels really strange pushing down to go up and vice versa.

I suppose a simple 'reverse up/down' option for those drivers would take care of it as well, but a generic approach that handles any preferences might be better in the long run.

Again, nice work! Glad to have the help.

-Warren.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:27 pm 
Registered  User

Warrens correct. I have a flight stick on my cab and Astron belt, cobra command and galaxy ranger have to be reconfigured to play right. Personally, i am just glad to be able to play the laser games, and I am happy with daphne now, but if it could be done(simply) it would be nice!
Thanks
Todd

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Request
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:50 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

I'd actually like to see this handled at the Daphne level, not at the DaphneLoader level (if you get what I mean). In other words, I'd like to be able to specify different keymap files on the command line, rather than the DaphneLoader (the reason being that I don't use DaphneLoader for day to day operation, and I'm sure I'm not the only one).

-etumor
Supercade: Classic Arcade System

Last edited by etumor on Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:05 am 
Registered  User

That's not a bad idea etumor. It would be rather simple to add a command line option to specify a different input file other than the default dainput.ini Also, a "Save As" button could also easily be added to the loader to save the ini file to a different name.

I can put these changes in if people think they would be useful

Russ

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:18 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

If you want to expand on this idea a bit, here are some more ambitious ideas:

By default, Daphne could parse ini files for each individual game first, then check dapinput.ini. For example, for Dragon's Lair, lair.ini would be searched for first. If it wasn't found, then dapinput.ini would be used. Specifying a file on the command line (-input reverseY.ini) would override these settings.

This is actually why I didn't volunteer to do it myself. Handling the first part (being able to specify a different input file on the command line) was a no-brainer, but the rest would take more time than I have right now (work is calling).

I have to confess this grows out of a desire to (someday) have daphne parse an ini file for each game for other settings as well. And I further have to confess that grows out of a desire to have daphne behave more like MAME (although I have no desire to see Daphne merged with Daphne -- I like the Daphne team way too much for that to happen). Users of DaphneLoader don't need this functionality (since DaphneLoader stores settings for individual games), but I use a common frontend for all of my emulators, so I can't use DaphneLoader (although I still use it for testing purposes and as a quick and dirty way to get dip switch settings).

-etumor
Supercade: Classic Arcade System

Offline Profile