It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Flash port of ALG's Crime Patrol
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:19 pm 
Registered  User

Hello everyone!

JUST for demonstration purposes of what I have managed to do with Flash MX and the right MPEGS, I have put together a one scene demo from Crime Patrol, using only the mpegs from the original game and redesigning the game mechanics from the ground up with Flash's action script! I took 2 hours to put all the frame jumps and scene references together, while teaching myself the mechanics of Flash MX (my first time ever using the prgram). With the scripts I've implemented ANY TYPE of FMV rail-shooter is possible!! And once the scripts are in place, it's just COPY and PASTE for each enemy encounter... My method truly reads the mouse position, so you have to ACTUALLY shoot the enemies in the right places. I will post a rapid share link to the .swf file, which can be played in any Flash-enabled web browser. This is in early ALPHA stage, and I only used footage from Crime Patrol, because it already has the scene format I needed. One scene only, because it is NOT my goal to spread copyrighted material. Try it out and tell me what you think... The file is nearly 50MB, because I'm working with minimum compression. Please only download if you're serious about giving valuable input on the project. I know there are MANY possible improvements and I'd be glad to hear your opinions...

FIXED LINK: http://rapidshare.de/files/9233712/ALG_Test.zip.html

Last edited by jconds on Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Unable to Download Demo...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:13 am 
Registered  User

Is there a special way to download this file? I'm not really sure how to dowload because it tells me I have to have "premium" service for this dowload to be able to be downloade. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I would love to test this demo for you...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:02 am 
Registered  User

you have to scroll down on the page and click on "FREE"... on the next page scroll down and wait for the timer (usually 30sec), then just click on the link!

EDIT: I would really appreciate some feedback... I'd expected a little more response for a creative attempt that doesn't involve the oh so limited Games Factory! :roll:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:51 am 
Registered  User

>>now in the planning stage of shooting my own "american laser game"... filming of the footage will begin soon on DV Cameras and edited in Premiere and After Effects (for gunshots and possible explosions)... Will edit the footage to be in the same style as ALG (continuous film for successful shooting - closeups in separate streams for being shot!! anyone with ideas or input on the "Flash-engine" is welcome to comment, but I've already given up on receiving replies :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:43 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

jconds wrote:
EDIT: I would really appreciate some feedback... I'd expected a little more response for a creative attempt that doesn't involve the oh so limited Games Factory! :roll:

You really didn't give us much time to check it out. I just tried to access it, but it began loading until my browser reported "stopped", and I had a blank page in front of me.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:49 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

jconds wrote:

I had difficulty viewing it. It would download, play 5 seconds of video, then start downloading again. I left my computer and game back and it had apparently downloaded all the way and I couldn't figure out how to restart it.

It might be better if it's embedded inside a .zip file so it can be downloaded and viewed locally?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:38 pm 
Registered  User

hmmm... I'm really sorry about the downloading mess... I didn't realize that it wouldn't allow you to save to hard disk! I guess downloading was kind of impossible... I've re-upped it in zip, although that doesn't change anything about the size... sorry about the confusion! btw: nice to know that you guys tried anyhow.

Last edited by jconds on Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:32 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Yep, that's better I have it coming down now (but only 66 KB/Sec)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:07 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

wow, that plays really well... I always thought it would be neat to have web based laser games, if you can stream the video fast enough.

Too bad flash is proprietary and commerical. :(

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:06 am 
Registered  User

I think streaming would be hard, because I need to jump to parts in the movie that aren't buffered at that point.. It would have to cache completetly, as far as I understant... though I am a noob at Flash, so I guess there's more I don't know!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:34 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I tried it and for what it does, it does quite well. You'll excuse me for shooting it down though but I have to ask the following:

Do you have a working overlay system yet? Because without it this is rather useless. I've found in my own experiments that playing video and moving around is quite easy, but actually putting bitmaps/scores over the video is the tricky part.

You say that editing is as easy as moving an object in flash. Will editing require the use of flash/director/ect? Flash is a rather confusing language to us old-schoolers that do all our coding with good old lines of code. ;)

Keep at it, but as-is I can't really place any judgment as quite frankly, there isn't anything to see.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:01 pm 
Registered  User

here's a version with a score overlay... Flash supports an infinite number of Layers displayed over the MPEG file (visible or invisible).. To edit you need Flash, because there is a little manual fine tuning (doing the frame jumps etc.) I'm still really new to Flash, but I guess A LOT is still possible (changing the mouse cursor to a gun sight for example!)

Since everything is WYSIWYG even a "new schooler" can do this :)

NEW VERSION: http://rapidshare.de/files/9294842/ALG_ ... t.zip.html

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:03 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Hey jconds,

I checked it out and it is cool! I was dying laughing at the female police officer! "Freeze, sucker!!!" Hahaha... dang that game looks cool.

Skipping over the death scenes didn't seem to be a problem either; it was pretty seamless.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:02 pm 
Registered  User

the game is really cool! And a true classic... I really love American Laser Games' titles! Luckily Digital Leisure from Canada has re-mastered all of the Laserdiscs for DVD and CD-Rom... Their version works even better, of course, but they got a whole team coding the games...

www.digitalleisure.com

>>I used the files without permission though... :roll:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:11 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

jconds wrote:
the game is really cool! And a true classic... I really love American Laser Games' titles! Luckily Digital Leisure from Canada has re-mastered all of the Laserdiscs for DVD and CD-Rom... Their version works even better, of course, but they got a whole team coding the games...

www.digitalleisure.com

>>I used the files without permission though... :roll:

I highly reccomend them myself, especially the last bounty hunter and the two crime patrols. They are short, but the "graphics" are nice enough to put it on par with any modern rail shooter. Honestly, why did the laserdisc shooter genere die? It seems to be the only type of laserdisc game that was well-suited for the technology.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:16 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

jconds wrote:
here's a version with a score overlay... Flash supports an infinite number of Layers displayed over the MPEG file (visible or invisible).. To edit you need Flash, because there is a little manual fine tuning (doing the frame jumps etc.) I'm still really new to Flash, but I guess A LOT is still possible (changing the mouse cursor to a gun sight for example!)

Since everything is WYSIWYG even a "new schooler" can do this :)

NEW VERSION: http://rapidshare.de/files/9294842/ALG_ ... t.zip.html

See now this is something worth mentioning. I'd say you have a good start here. Btw for changing the cursor, look into accessing the w32 api from within flash as the "change cursor" call is quite easy that way.

One thing though.... in the case of flash, it's complex enough that wysiwyg is actually more confusing than it is to code the old fashioned way. Or at least it was for me. :cry:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:47 am 
Registered  User

HowardC wrote:
Honestly, why did the laserdisc shooter genere die? It seems to be the only type of laserdisc game that was well-suited for the technology.

I agree it was the best use of the technology for games, because you actually have to aim at a specific area onscreen (unlike the mechanics in Badlands, for example). That truly adds to the limited interactivity of FMV games. I guess a big problem though is that you cannot shoot whenever you see the enemy, but have to wait until a certain frame of film has played (in some ALG scenes it just doesn't make any sense). I guess it just depends on how well you plan ahead when shooting (as in FILMING the footage) the scenes! For my version I have used a greater tolerance (allowing you to shoot earlier, which skips a significant amount of frames though >> could look choppy) Another thing that works really well in the games is the random order in which SOME scenes are played, allowing for a kind of suprise element, even when you've got the scenes well memorized. Since these scenes were shot using a tripod, the "cuts" aren't too obvious. (>> Not sure how randomization of scenes can be done in Flash, though)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:28 pm 
Registered  User

well that is quite impressive. :) Thanks! You say it took you two hours to do that?

Offline Profile