It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Not sure if you guys are interested but....
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:29 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I'm finally starting to finish some of these random daphne-related, projects I've started over the past few years.

The first one being a daphne version of controls.ini, with a daphne plugin for Johnny 5.

http://fe.donkeyfly.com/forum/index.php?topic=119.195

It should be out sometime this weekend.

More to come, but I just thought I would mention it since I seem to talk about starting a project over here, but rarely get around to finishing it.

Oh btw daphne devs, that "viritual scoreboard" for dual monitors I mentioned ages ago has been more-or-less done since I first started on it. It needs a few tweaks and I need to add support for the fire lamps in dl2 but it is in a complete enough state to know the interface.

I know you guys are busy with the handheld ports, but when you are about ready to release a new daphne version, just let me know and I'll shoot you over a copy along with the docs. Since I tried my very best to adhere to the codes sent to a real daphne scoreboard, it should be fairly easy to implement.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:45 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

If there's any interest......

The daphne controls.ini is included in a pack which can be found here:

http://www.oscarcontrols.com/lazarus/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:27 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Howard,

I think it may be helpful if you could explain what Johnny 5 is for those of us who are in the dark (such as myself) hehe. Whatever you are doing does sound cool though.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:15 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Basically it's a "how to play" screen.

Controls.dat was a project started to document original controls, and control labels (as in how the buttons were labeled on the contorl panel) for arcade games.

Johnny 5 takes info from the controls.dat project, compares it to the input configurations for the emulator in question and displays an image of your control panel (assuming you made a skin) with the buttons/controls/ect used for said game all nice and labeled. It also can display stuff like a real cpo image and such. Xp/2k users can have the info pop-up in game, with the aid of a script.

Emulator developers (not so much you guys, more on the mame end of things) forget that having a perfectly emulated Tron is quite useless unless you have a triggerstick and a spinner, and that emulating a game with 30 buttons, without mentioning anywhere what button does what leads to nothing but a frustrated user that can't play the game.

There are plenty of screenshots over at http://fe.donkeyfly.com the home of controls.dat, in the viewer forums. 40% of mame's game are supported in the main project, and my plugin has a hand-made file with every game "officially" in daphne with the exception of road blaster, which I can't find enough input info on.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:07 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Awesome.. sounds like a great idea.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:00 am 
DAPHNE Bronze Donator
DAPHNE Bronze Donator

Quote:
Emulator developers (not so much you guys, more on the mame end of things) forget that having a perfectly emulated Tron is quite useless unless you have a triggerstick and a spinner, and that emulating a game with 30 buttons, without mentioning anywhere what button does what leads to nothing but a frustrated user that can't play the game.

Amen. Deciding if you want to play a game, in real life, you look at the controls and the attract screen.
Deciding which new game to try in mame, without having installed screenshots, isn't so much fun, and control panels are the other half of the equation.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:14 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

HowardC wrote:
<snip>...every game "officially" in daphne with the exception of road blaster, which I can't find enough input info on.

Road Blaster has the same CP layout as a Begas Battle or a dedicated Cobra Command. Left and Right on the joystick move the car left and right (up and down don't do anything), and there are 2 pairs of a boost button and a brake button, one pair on either side of the joystick. Lastly, there is a pair of 1 and 2 player buttons towards the upper left.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:18 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

chip wrote:
HowardC wrote:
<snip>...every game "officially" in daphne with the exception of road blaster, which I can't find enough input info on.

Road Blaster has the same CP layout as a Begas Battle or a dedicated Cobra Command. Left and Right on the joystick move the car left and right (up and down don't do anything), and there are 2 pairs of a boost button and a brake button, one pair on either side of the joystick. Lastly, there is a pair of 1 and 2 player buttons towards the upper left.

Interesting..... A car game that uses a joystick... that's rather odd. You wouldn't happen to have a pic available would you? I'm sure Mr. do would be happy to get an image as well.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:17 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

HowardC wrote:
Interesting..... A car game that uses a joystick... that's rather odd. You wouldn't happen to have a pic available would you? I'm sure Mr. do would be happy to get an image as well.

sorry, no pic. I think they went with the joystick simply to re-use the begas/cobra hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if initial designs included a steering wheel for left/right which was later thrown out for cost considerations.

Offline Profile