It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My Donation
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:50 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

I would have liked to give money..but that is kinda tight at the moment. however, I have designed a new Daphne website I would like to donate to you guys..

(I can pack it up for a single download)

You can see the site here

1. It is designed with Flash...but it will detect if you have flash or not and use the appropriate solution.

2. Any missing files/File not found errors are due to your site not having them either.

(BTW... I did this as a design project..so no time was wasted if you don't use it)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:46 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

I'm extremely impressed. I've sent you an email to the address you used to register to this forum.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:03 pm 
DAPHNE Bronze Donator
DAPHNE Bronze Donator

Very cool! I love the animated banner thing which is really slick. I don't think I've seen that before, exactly like that. Sadly (for my old system) it uses 80% of my cpu. :(

FEMALE? :) (Is that an original or a reference to something else?)
EDIT: aaahh, i guess i'm still a noob, i never noticed that page before.

Very professional.

Last edited by bugblatter on Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:26 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Well...in the Daphneloader Window it says First Ever Multiple Arcade Laserdisc Emulator. Thus Being a FEMALE...that's probably one of the reasons why the name Daphne came up...lol (A guess)

And thnx for the kind words. And I kinda spliced the intro from both the original arcade game AND Dragon's Lair 3D ;)...

Also I added an Easter Egg (and probably the reason that your cycles are at 80% blatter - sorry :( )

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:59 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

First off I think it's really cool what with all the skins and animations and what-not. And I really mean that, so don't jump on me when I make a few suggestions.

The site is too small. It's set at 800x600, if somebody out there is still running their monitor at 800x600 the computer is so old it's gonna crash on the site anyway. In this day and age 1024x768 is the standard. Ideally everything would be presented in percentages so the site scales to your window, but that woudl be a lot of work.

The laserdisc player looks really out of place. The laserdisc itself is frikkin awesome and fits right in (mainly because it is in the corner and put at an angle), but that front-on, obtrusive pic of the ld player just floating there looks a little off. It's mainly a bad-perspective thing. The player slightly overlaps the disc, but the disc is bigger than the player also they are so close on the z-axis that the disc couldn't possibly fit behind the player the player is too deep. Basically what I'm saying is the disc looks like a nice 3d disc floating around. The player looks like a flat image of a player with no back to it.

My suggestion would be to ditch the player, enlarge the scrolling text on the player and make it red and scrolling at the bottom right corner. Then it'll look like the scoreboard text and you'll still have something to click on to control the site.

Anyway, thanks for making it, it looks really nice.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:37 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Your Criticism is duely noted. However I also use 1024x768..the fact that the page is set at 800 in width on purpose as I'm going to be adding something to the right hand side.

As far as the other points...the LD player size...obtrusiveness etc..

I take no offense...the thing about desgn is...Everyone has an opinion on how something should look ;)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:21 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Layer wrote:
Your Criticism is duely noted. However I also use 1024x768..the fact that the page is set at 800 in width on purpose as I'm going to be adding something to the right hand side.

As far as the other points...the LD player size...obtrusiveness etc..

I take no offense...the thing about desgn is...Everyone has an opinion on how something should look ;)

Well the width is all well and good, but that still doesn't excuse the height. Right now, for example when you go to the screenshots, you have two pages due to size constaints. Make the height bigger and It'll all fit. As-is would be fine if the whole bottom of the site didn't reload in an ugly white flash, thus ruining the illusion of a seamless page when going to page two. :)

Also, with respect, I would argue that the thing about design is that there can be several ways to make things look bad as well as several ways to make things look good. With that being said something that looks a little off due to bad perspective doesn't magically get it's perspective corrected due to someone's opinon. The perspective is wrong on the ld player so even if you wish to keep it, it needs fixed if you want it to look correct. Of course if you don't want it to look correct then by all means keep it as-is, but then it only throws an unfortunate glare of amateurism on an otherwize fantastic design.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:16 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

HowardC wrote:

Well the width is all well and good, but that still doesn't excuse the height. Right now, for example when you go to the screenshots, you have two pages due to size constaints. Make the height bigger and It'll all fit. As-is would be fine if the whole bottom of the site didn't reload in an ugly white flash, thus ruining the illusion of a seamless page when going to page two. :)

Also, with respect, I would argue that the thing about design is that there can be several ways to make things look bad as well as several ways to make things look good. With that being said something that looks a little off due to bad perspective doesn't magically get it's perspective corrected due to someone's opinon. The perspective is wrong on the ld player so even if you wish to keep it, it needs fixed if you want it to look correct. Of course if you don't want it to look correct then by all means keep it as-is, but then it only throws an unfortunate glare of amateurism on an otherwize fantastic design.

1. Page height: I abhore scrollbars. Which is better. Scroll bars...or multiple pages for screenshots..etc? It comes down to preference. I chose the later.

2. Perspective: The laserdisc player is there as a control mechanism only. I CAN understand why you think the perspective is off. I can/will change it.

It wasn't my intention to argue soley towards why it was correct to keep the player..etc - only that everyone does have a different view on designs. For me...knowing what I had as an intention - probably keeps me from stepping back and looking at it unbiased.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:55 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Now I feel bad. If you like the player by all means keep it, something just looks funny on it though.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:40 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Don't feel bad :) The banners work without it...just as well too :D

I do appreciate your criticism HC :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject: I'm very sad now
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:11 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

I like the LDP graphic. In my opinion, it is an excellent reminder that Daphne controls real laserdisc players and that at one time, using a real LDP was the only way to play one's favorite laserdisc arcade games.

The site would look naked without the LDP graphics, IMO.

I haven't publically commended Layer on his work on the new Daphne site. It is awesome.... everything the Daphne site should be.

Brad O.

Offline Profile