It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Dragon's Lair HD Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:46 am 
DAPHNE Tester
DAPHNE Tester

Hi Bri,

In My Opinion, Digital Leisure finally got it Right!!!

The Latest Dragon's Lair in HD is the Best PC Version of the Game Ever!!!
It plays just like the Arcade Game. And the New HD Video and 5.1 Surround Sound is just Incredible!!! The Picture and Sound Quality is Better than the Original Game. And Better than any other DVD.

Still being able to convert Dragon's Lair from the 20th Anniversary DVD with DVD2DAPH and using that rip for use with DAPHNE will get you the most accurate Game Play, because you are using an emulator and the Original Rom Images or the New and Improved DLE Rom's of Dave H.'s.

Unfortunately, the New DLHD Video is in WMV Format instead of MPEG, so you can not play these files with DAPHNE. And trying to convert them to MPEG makes the Video look all pixelated and awfull looking. You are better off with the 20th Anniversary DVD with DVD2DAPH Rip, if you want to play Dragon's Lair with DAPHNE.

But I do think that this Latest Version of Dragon's Lair is well worth the, Now, $50.00 Cost. You can Play Dragon's Lair from the DVD-Rom Drive or Download it and Play it straight from your Computer's Hard Drive. You can Play Dragon's Lair in three different Frame Sides, and in three different Video Qualities. Arcade or Home Versions. And Easy or Hard Settings. It also has a Video Watch Feature, as well, with or without Death Scenes. Really Cool!!! WOW!!!

Lets hope that Digital Leisure will continue on this Path on Future LD Games for the PC DVD-ROM. :)

I Highly Recommend this PC Game, even if you already have some earlier version of this Game and/or play it on DAPHNE. :)

Yours Truly,

Tony M. Victorino

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:33 am 
Registered  User

When you tried to convert to mpeg, did you keep it in 1080I or did you convert it to SD? When I converted the sample clip on their page, I kept it setup at 1080I mpeg 2 and the introduction looks great in Daphne.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:59 pm 
Registered  User

I have the 20th ann. box set :D If I were to buy the HD version, and were to play it on my pc would it play just like my 20th box set or did they put the beeps in finally?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Yes, It has all of the Beeps, Buzzs, and Dongs...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:17 pm 
DAPHNE Tester
DAPHNE Tester

Hi Bri,

Yes, It has all of the Beeps, Buzzs, and Dongs...

I only have one beef with the DLHD Game. No external joystick support.
You have to play it by using the Compuer's Arrow Keys and the Space Bar for Sword. :(

Yours Truly,

Tony M. Victorino

Offline Profile  

Post subject: 2 more questions Lord_Victorino
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:44 pm 
Registered  User

does the HD versions have the authentic slight pauses (skip searches I think its called)

Which would you know prefer? 20th box set using daphne or The HD version? If the HD plays just like the arcade would that be the way to go?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Quality vs. Accuracy.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:21 pm 
DAPHNE Tester
DAPHNE Tester

Hi Bri,

Quality vs. Accuracy.

The Quality of the Video and Sound are much better on the New DLHD PC DVD-ROM than any other version of DL, even the 20th Anni. DVD using DAPHNE.

The Game plays just like the Arcade in Arcade Authenic Mode. It has the slight Black Out Pause, just like the Arcade version of the Game, between each change of Scenes (Death or Next). It dose NOT pause between each move, which was the bigest problem with triing to play this Game on a DVD Player. :(

Of course, with DAPHNE and DVD2DAPH, this was the only reason to buy the 20th Anni. Box Set.

DAPHNE has more bells and wistles. You can set up the Game any way you want, just like an operater could do with the Original Game. You can also use Dave's DLE Rom's and play the Game different and the Protype Scenes, as well.

DAPHNE needs alot of setting up, to get the Game(s) working right.
You got to get a Capture of the Video and Audio. And then set everything up. Some find this a bit too much to deal with.
Once you get everything set up like you want, DAPHNE is pretty cool to play LD Games on.

But if you want to play DL with the New DLHD, you just put the Disc in and Play. Press Escape for Options. The Menu is pretty simple.
Plug and Play...

I do like DL on DAPHNE a little better, than the DLHD, only because it does have much more features. But if you are looking for an easy way to play DL just like the Arcade Version with the Best Video and Audio Quality you have ever seen, then the New DLHD PC DVD-ROM is the way to go.

(P.S) In Arcade Authenic Mode, the Game Plays just like the Arcade, which means that the Scenes play out in the semi-random order, and there is no Draw Bridge Scene and some of the amimation is not used. But in Home Mode you get the Bridge Scene plus the unused animation to play with.

Yours Truly,

Tony M. Victorino

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:31 pm 
Registered  User

Do I need any dvd software (like windvd) to run this HD version? Does it run off of the disc or does it need installed?

sounds good I might order it!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:36 pm 
Registered  User

one more thing....I dont even have a HD monitor I have an analog lcd

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:40 am 
Registered  User

Wow, I hadn't been around this site for ages and hadn't fired up Dragon's Lair/Daphne for a while... decided to check out the site and saw the stuff about DLHD.. saw the trailer and just ordered the game from Amazon!! (Free shipping although it's not in stock right now)

Does the HD version include the 'prototype' scenes?

Either way, the trailer looked amazing, especially after seeing the original video (I converted it from my DVD-ROM ages ago, I never even got around to deinterlacing it as this was before people figured out the easy ways) blown up on my LCD monitor.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:23 pm 
Registered  User

LOL I still did receive mine :-? I called digital L they said If I don't get by Monday they'll reship it

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Yes, It has all of the Beeps, Buzzs, and Dongs...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:10 am 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

Lord_Victorino wrote:
Hi Bri,

You have to play it by using the Compuer's Arrow Keys and the Space Bar for Sword. :(

Yours Truly,

Tony M. Victorino

Well, you're partially correct. However, you could build a joystick out of an old keyboard or buy a commercially availiable X-Arcade stick for use with MAME and Daphne. Get one that uses the ps/2 port. That port is free if you use a usb keyboard right? I've read that the ps/2 version is more responsive than usb. 100 bucks aint bad for a professional gamer like you... ;)

http://www.x-arcade.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Yes, It has all of the Beeps, Buzzs, and Dongs...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:47 pm 
Registered  User

ztomiccomputers wrote:
Lord_Victorino wrote:
Hi Bri,

Yours Truly,

Tony M. Victorino

Well, you're partially correct. However, you could build a joystick out of an old keyboard or buy a commercially availiable X-Arcade stick for use with MAME and Daphne. Get one that uses the ps/2 port. That port is free if you use a usb keyboard right? I've read that the ps/2 version is more responsive than usb. 100 bucks aint bad for a professional gamer like you... ;)

http://www.x-arcade.com/

yeah the x-arcade works very well,u just need to configure the enter button on the keyboard(sword)to one of the x-arcades buttons,the four directions work automatically

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:36 am 
Registered  User

Although it takes a little more work than an X-Arcade control panel, I've had great success using an I-PAC2. It required no configuration for the sword buttons. I initially had some issues with the PS/2 version, but that was resolved by swapping it for the USB version.

Just keep in mind that if you decide to go the I-PAC route, you need to buy your own joystick and buttons.

http://www.ultimarc.com/

I also have a Marvel Superheroes cabinet currently using an X-Arcade configuration. Yep, that performs flawlessly as well.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Dragon's Lair HD and Daphne?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:15 am 
Registered  User

On the topic of Dragon's Lair HD, I just ordered a copy of it and was wondering if the video\audio from it will work with Daphne or not, or are the above posts in this thread (from way back in July 06) still accurate about which is the best video\audio of Dragon's Lair to use with Daphne?

When you launch the latest version of Daphne Loader, it seems to just download a regular version of the Dragon's Lair video\audio, although maybe I should try it again and select the Enhanced 1.1 people are talking about but I think that option might be unrelated.

Has anyone been able to use the higher quality video\audio from Dragon's Lair HD with Daphne yet, or is this something in the works that requires extra Daphne programming calls, etc. or will never happen because of the WMV formatted vids? I just can't believe these nice WMV's couldn't be converted to some other format that Daphne could use or that Daphne couldn't be upgraded to use newer vid formats as they come out or something, plus WMV's have been around for a long time already. I wonder how hard it would be to impliment WMV's in Daphne?

I have an arcade system setup using Game-Ex as a front end for Mame and other emulators and I want to add the best possible version of Dragon's Lair to it, which at present I would guess to be Dragon's Lair HD.

The OS on the box is Windows 2000 though, which runs fine with Daphne. I don't know if Dragon's Lair HD will even run on 2000 yet until I try to install it. (anyone here successfully running Dragon's Lair HD on 2000?)

The tech support at Digital Leisure said if my system could handle all of the High-Def video's on Microsoft's HD site, that I might be able to play Dragon's Lair HD on the 2000 box, but the software doesn't specifically support it, whereas Daphne seems to be supported on 2000, so if the HD version of Dragon's Lair that I ordered won't run on 2000, perhaps the video from the HD version combined with Daphne would run on 2000? (Or will this mean Daphne will need to be rewritten to support WMV's?)

I could always convert my box to XP but I would rather not at this time since that would render some of my other games unplayable or degraded - Pro Pinball: Timeshock comes to mind here even though there are XP tweaks for Timeshock but I have other older games as well that XP doesn't like. And if you haven't played Timeshock on your cabinets, well, you are missing out.

Anyone else in a similar situation as this or know if Daphne will be able to use the high quality Dragon's Lair HD video \ sound?

Also, since I already own the Digital Leisure Dragon's Lair standard DVD movie game, do I even need to purchase the Dragon's Lair HD version, or am I eligible to d/l the HD video\sound using Daphne due to the agreement between Daphne and Digital Leisure? Sorry if I seem lost at the moment, but if I can save the $ on the Dragon's Lair HD purchase and just use the HD video with Daphne, I see no point of keeping the Digital Leisure HD version, or am I missing something else? I think I probably have about 10 days to return it after I receive it so let me know if this sounds like what I should do or not. Thanks

Oh, one last thing, does DL HD allow you to remap a different key to be used as the sword key (instead of just the enter key)? I have an X-Arcade Tankstick and it's easier to just go into individual games and change the key mappings if they allow it (rather than messing with the the X-arcade presets).

Oh, and one more final last thing, can we rename this thread to be something more positive like "Best Possible Dragon's Lair Setup" or "Daphne \ Dragon's Lair HD Update" or something similar?

Double Thanks

-ScoobyMaster

(Also, for anyone who likes Evil Dead or Hellraiser movies, check out my Attack of the Tortured Souls video. You may get a good laugh out of it.)

X-Arcade Controllers:
http://www.x-arcade.com/landingpage.shtml?kbid=79650

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:31 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

If you want the HD video to work with Daphne - then you are gonna have to make it work on your own - or contact the poster(another thread) that is working on doing just that. There is no HD download for Daphne.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:49 pm 
Registered  User

Sorry to bump an old thread, but has anyone made any progress getting the HD DVD version to play perfectly in Daphne, and are there any good instructions on how to do so?

Is there any chance there will be some automated way to get this in Daphne someday in the future? It's such a waste of awesome quality video for an inaccurate version... I'd so much rather play it using Daphne.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:37 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Yes, I have successfully converted the HD DVD Rom version to work with Daphne. You can use TMPGenc. I think I split the audio from the video. Then used another program to convert the audio files to .OGG. I converted it a long time ago and don't remember all the steps, but I remember it wasn't that hard to do.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:38 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

Hi ( TMV !!!!!!!! ... occasionally we meet here or in DLP ... what about irc? I haven't seen you in #Daphne or #Lasergames since YEARS ! )

Ok , I did the HD-DVD ROM (PC) to Daphne conversion just the day after I got it :wink: ( don't remember , but I think it was more than one year ago ) ... but I "built" a single mpeg , joining ALL the various parts ...
That's because I wanted to have a better DL mpeg also for "my" PAL-european versions of the Dragon ( that HAVE TO BE on a single clip , or Daphne won't play it ... ) . And that was the hardest work , because also the NTSC one required some "frame cut" ( saint VirtualDub helped
me ) and so was for the PAL one !

Conclusion :
the "new" Dragon is sharp , clean , bright ........... TOO MUCH !
I already think it's kinda' "plastic" , like its HighDef father , and compared with its LaserDisc ( or even LD capture ) grandfa lose points in arcade accuracy .
I also did the Space Ace HD to Daphne version , and my thought is the same as for DL .
They all could be played in my DL-Daphne cabinet but me and all my friends continue to prefer LD mpegs !!!

All different for "Cliff Hanger - restored edition" ( clips taken from movie DVDs ) !!! Daphne's CH was ( and still is ) awful while this one is abslutely wonderful !!!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_hBee7IFZL ... l=IT&hl=it

Byeee

Offline Profile  

Post subject: from K: who knows the right conversion parameters?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:50 am 
Registered  User

Hello dudes!

I'm doing the conversion from time warp bluray to daphne...

I got a question and i hope that someone could helps me...

i would like to understand which is the right conversion setup:

resolution - 720x480 or 640x480 ?

framerate - 24 or 29,97 fps ? (or it works with both?)

bitrate - 12000 or 10000 or 5000 Kbps ? (as above...or both?)

and the last one:

which is the best software to convert .avi or .mov to .m2v ?

Thanx in advance to the great soul who can helps me!

K

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:53 am 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

Hi

Well , well ... so you're one of the (few?) lucky owner of a BR player for PC ! ( and , of course , the BR version of TW :lol: ! )
Here are some info about the Daphne's requirement for TW :

Resolution : 640 x 480
Frame rate : 23.976 fps

I used VirtualDub to convert HDWindowsMedia files into .avi with HuffYUV lossless codec , then TMPGenc to re-convert them directly into .m2v files .
Higher is the bitrate , better is quality but heavier is the file weight :wink: ... all mpeg2 converter I worked with could reach a maximum encoding bitrate of 8000k . So better choose the highest quality you can !
Audio should be treated separately from video .

REMEMBER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ALWAYS keep the "ORIGINAL" .m2v file in a VDub window while you're doing your work , 'cause you HAVE TO compare the two and , if required , CUT frames in the HD-one to reach both the correct total frame number and the same duration of the original ( if not , you'll have an unplayable de-syncronized game ) :
SO: SAME FRAMES , SAME TIME !!!
For this purpose , as you'll see there will be LOTs of tripled frames in the HD-to-m2v files , so you could cut them .

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:32 pm 
Registered  User

Thanx Marco!!!
unfortunely i'm seeing your reply only now...i already done the conversion by myself doing tests on tests...

here the specs

720x 480 23,976fps 8000k

i found a super multi converter soft that allowed me to do also .ogg...
so i used codecs from xilisoft video converter and adobe after effects for the edit and export.

i did the work using the multi tracks method...so all splitted scenes and the framefile very long...i was able to extrapolate a correct version doing a comparison between the cdrom and dvdrom ff taken from convvideo2daph...

i'm still testing it (i got little time due by my job) and i played it untill now to level 3... at the moment it looks amazingly well done...no frames from other different scenes at the end or beginning of any level or death scene.

i have now SA, DL and DL2 in HD..working on cliff BD now (always splitted scenes framefile, the best way to don't see errors)... it's a dream that comes true in high definition!! : )

Daphne is the best emulator ever!!!

For anyone who thinks that mame will do something better with chd files in the future.....forget this idea!
it works enough well but chd games can't be managed as the daphne let you do with his method.

All hail to the genius Daphne team!! : )

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:44 pm 
Registered  User

I'm glad to read that someone has converted DL2 Bluray for daphne.

rad77, maybe you could share the result of your hard work with us...:wink:

Cheers

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The Dragon's Lair HD Thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:07 pm 
Registered  User

I have a big problem with using dragons lair HD.
1. I used my old dvd of dragons lair with daphne and it installed.
2. From the store I just bought the dragons lair HD version.

Question:
How do I get rid of the old dragons lair dvd, so it installs the new HD version from the disc I own?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:16 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

You can't. The HD version isn't a supported format to use with Daphne. You'd have to convert the files on your HD version to work with Daphne. Splitting the audio from the video, converting them to m2v & ogg files. I recommend using TMPGenc to get started if you want to do it. It's a rather complicated, long process. If you don't mind the work & the time it takes, I'd say go for it. But be prepared to do your homework, learning how to get it done.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:30 pm 
Registered  User

Ugh, well forget that then. Ill just play it off the disc in that case.
Any chance daphne will ever support it???

Also I got dragons lair to work using my dvd from 20th anniversary. Ages ago I bought the 3 pack from Digital Leisure, that was also 2 computers ago. Thing is I saved the files on the discs to play in their dvd format on my external hardrive. I saved the vob all that stuff I use power dvd to mount and play it.

My question is what version is better? The dragons lair DVD version or the digital lesiure files? (not use if 20th anniversary or not but they did come ina 3 pack years ago now the discs are in storage)

I had to use my old dvd because daphne wouldnt read my root dir for dragons lair to reinstall it. How come it cant read my root dir for my dvd I saved the video_ts of from dragons lair 1 or 2? Am I supposed to convert those myself or something?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:47 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I dunno which version is better. I'd personally recommend just playing DL through Daphne. Using the downloaded version you get from them. You can't just use the copied files from the disc, because that would defeat the purpose for the copy protection. Otherwise, anyone could just download an illegal version off the web to make Daphne work. It has to be able to detect that it's the original CD/DVD that you purchased from Digital Leisure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:34 pm 
Registered  User

I am confused so here is my question I suppose:
I have dragons lair HD, do I need to make it work for daphne myself? I thought daphne did that in their deal with digital leisure?
Will there be an update to support the HD version?

Review for those who do NOT own the HD version:
pros: The HD version is visually close to perfect. Tons of bonus things not in any of my dvds. (I have 20th anniversary ed. and some other dvd edition of dragons lair)
cons: The controls are terrible and do NOT have the arcade feeling. (Maybe some crafty programmer could fix that, out of my league though sadly)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:58 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

As I said, it's not supported by Daphne. You'd have to do the work yourself. And I explained some of the basic steps to get there. As far as if it will ever be supported, I honestly doubt it. They use there own laserdisc footage that you can download, not any of the videos by Digital Leisure. Digital Leisure would have to give the Daphne Devs legal rights to use there HD files. I doubt they'd ever do that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:49 pm 
Registered  User

How does daphne work?
Does it copy the video file son my disc or download them I am confused.
See I have 3 versions now of dragons lair, the HD version well I know that cant be used so ignore that one.
I have the 20th anniversary disc in storage and the video_ts files on pc (but daphne wont read those for some reason)
I used my original dvd of dragons lair NOT the 20th anniversary edition for daphne.

Is this a good version to use with daphne or is there a "better" version. I ask because out of 3 versions like the HD one, there are pros and cons. Is there an all around best version of dragons lair and do I own that version that people prefer are the best out of the 3 versions of dragons lair I own.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:20 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Daphne doesn't use any footage from your discs. It downloads it's own video files and ueses them. The only thing you need the discs for is for the copy protection.

Offline Profile