It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject: Dragon's Lair attract mode intro video restarts after 10 sec
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:55 am 
Registered  User

I am experiencing an odd problem with Dragon's Lair in Daphne.

After booting the game, the attract mode / intro video is played, but after ~10 seconds when it gets to the image of Dirk being slapped by the dragon, I hear a beep similar to insert coin, and the intro video restarts from the beginning. The second time the intro video is played correctly. There is otherwise no problem during gameplay.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

I checked the m2v file itself and there is nothing strange.
Files are those automatically downloaded by DaphneLoader.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Dragon's Lair attract mode intro video restarts after 10
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:28 am 
Dragon's Lair Project Staff
Dragon's Lair Project Staff

I don't remember ever seeing anyone explain this issue, and I'll bet there are very many Daphne users who think the arcade game also starts that way.

The Dragon's Lair laserdisc begins with several seconds of solid black video and silence, which was not saved into Daphne's video file, presumably to minimize the file size but I don't know. This blank footage was chopped out, and the file begins instead with the game's text images, followed quickly by the attract mode.

When the arcade game spins up the disc player and plays the laserdisc, the black & silent beginning of the disc plays while the software finishes booting. Then, while the screen is still playing the black video, the software searches to the attract video. The result is the arcade game boots cleanly from a black screen to a full, complete playthrough of the attract.

When Daphne begins playing its official video file, it also starts playing it from the beginning, as a result of the initial virtual play command being sent to the disc player. But there is no disc spin-up time, nor any blank video to begin with. The text screens and the attract video begin playing immediately, since that's how the file starts. After that, when the software is finished booting, the video is already well into playing the attract when the software searches to the beginning of the attract for the first time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:01 am 
Registered  User

Great explanation, thanks a lot!

So do I understand right that this problem is actually common to everyone? It's odd that the Daphne developers haven't found a workaround, or that the community hasn't asked for them. Particularly since older versions of Daphne did not have this problem.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:26 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Yes, it's common with everyone. You can do a workaround by enabling Fast Boot in the game configuration

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:01 pm 
Registered  User

Thanks a lot! Fast boot doesn't work with all roms but at least with dle11 it fixes the problem :)

Offline Profile