It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DL DVD-ROM or 3pack or 20th Anniversary box set?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:52 pm 
Registered  User

On the dragons-lair-project board I asked if I should get the DL/SA/DL2 3 pack from Digital Leisure or the DL DVD-ROM, if I were trying to get the game to run its best with Daphne. In response I got:

Quote:
If you buy the 20th anniversary pack you will end up with much nicer video streams than if you buy the DVD-Roms. The only downside to the 20th pack (for the moment) is that there's not a working conversion utility for DL so you'll have to do some extra work to get it running. But, the end product will look much nicer and who knows... hopefully a working utility will be released soon.

According to the Digital Leisure people the version of Dragons Lair is the same in the DVD-ROM as it is in the 3 pack version, so I might as well get the 3 pack. Now this guy tells me I should be getting the 20th anniversary pack, but that it's harder to get working.

Can anybody tell me what the difference is between the 30th anniversary pack and the 3 pack, or more importantly what is the difference in process in getting Dragons Lair to work with Daphne between one version and the other?

If its too hard or the difference in video quality is not great, I'll go with the dvd 3pack, but if the 20th anniversary addition looks and sounds a lot better then I'd be willing to do the extra effort.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:42 am 
Registered  User

So how hard is it to get Daphne working with the 20th Anniversary edition?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:20 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Hi,

Space Ace converts perfectly, no problem here. Dragon's Lair is another story. At the moment there is no chance to use the extra scenes from the game. The standard game "can" be converted, but there are issues. To get the game running, you have to reencode the video files. That should work. And for Dragon's Lair 2, there's no chance at the moment for all DVD releases.

Jerico

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:07 am 
Registered  User

Yeah I've been reading up on these myriad tools involved with the process and I haven't see a straight answer on Dragons Lair.

From the sound of it, DL has extra frames (of black) on scenes, and I can't figure out if there is an easy way to get rid of them or not, or if it's even feasible to get DL to a playable stay without running it through so many converters that you lose the image quality (and the whole point of going with the 20th anniversary version to begin with).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:46 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

The black frames was a Space Ace problem but it is solved. OK, to clear up something. If you want to be on the safe side and if you don't want to reencode, try to get a DVD-Rom or DVD-Video (you called it "3pack")version of Dragon's Lair. The problem with the 20th Anniversary Dragon's Lair is, that the audio and video streams are not in sync if you play it in Daphne. A workaround for this issue is, to reencode the whole video files. It's not the best solution, but it should work. The video quality is still very good if you do so. It's up to you, what you want to buy. Hope that helps.

Jerico

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:27 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Great explanation Jerico! I kept out of this thread because I am "this guy" and he obviously wanted someone else's opinion.

However, I'd still recommend going the 20th anniversary route. Conversion utilities are quick and easy, but you'll learn a lot about video (and how daphne works) if you do the work yourself.

Plus, don't forget that if you don't get the 20th anniversary set, you won't be able to play the prototype Dragon's Lair game included with DLE 2.0. That alone would make me choose the 20th anniversary pack.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:03 am 
Registered  User

Well I decided to just get both. I have experience in video (having graduated from the computer art department at the Savannah College of Art & Design) but I'm not sure I really want to go through the hassle of all this re-encoding (I like how dvd2daph just runs some batch files and you're done).

My main problem now is with the way the roms play the game, but I'll voice that in a different thread since it is a different topic.

Offline Profile