It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: a question regarding the "Three Caves / Geysers" s
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:31 am 
Registered  User

i'm currently playing dragon's lair in daphne using the digital leisure dvd-rom conversion from dvd2daphne. i notice that during the "three caves / geysers" screen, after moving dirk forward toward the jagged metal doors that keep opening & closing, if you stay still and don't make any further moves, the death sequence occurs in which dirk is struck by electricity. shouldn't it be the death sequence where the jagged doors close on his foot? i checked digital leisure's arcade authentic cd-rom, and sure enough, if you wait in front of the jagged doors, they end up closing on dirk's foot. in daphne though, the results are quite different and almost always end up with the electricity death scene. any ideas?

irmish

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:28 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I just played my game and when I wait in front of the doors he gets shocked. Mine is a capture from the original laser disc. I also noticed on the original laser disc capture on a two player game it tells you on the screen it is time for the second player to play. It doesn't do that on my converted dvd files.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:49 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I don't see any problem with that. If you stand still, you get shocked with electricity (you are surrounded by it very few seconds after the scene begins, that suggests you to move quickly if you don't want to die). If you move towards the metal doors at the wrong time, your foot gets stuck.

Seems logical to me :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:28 pm 
Registered  User

i guess i was just bothered by the fact that digital leisure's arcade authentic dragon's lair cd-rom depicts something different happening than the version in daphne. is one more accurate than the other? i notice that even if you try and move dirk forward at the wrong time rather than standing still, the daphne version still shows you the electricution scene rather than the doors closing on his foot *almost* every time. it only shows the doors closing on his foot if the move is timed just perfectly, which does indeed differ from the behavior on the arcade authentic cd-rom in which just about any move made in front of the doors results in the doors closing on his foot.

this same type of discrepancy can be seen during the final screen of the game when you're in singe's lair. immediately after dirk pulls the magic sword from the gemstone and steps back, singe breathes fire at him. in daphne, if you stand still and do nothing, the fire engulfs dirk and he gets toasted by it. (note: that's only true for the standard a-f2 romsets, as the enhancement sets 1.1 & 2.0 do not show dirk getting toasted, but rather it goes to a black screen instead.) however, in digital leisure's arcade authentic cd-rom, standing still at that point in the game results in dirk getting whipped by the dragon's tail. yes, the daphne version certainly does seem to make more logical sense in that regard, but i was just wondering if one version is more "arcade accurate" than the other.

irmish

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:51 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds like Digital Leisure's Arcade Authentic cd-rom isn't.

I would tend to believe using Daphne with the original roms and ld would be the most authentic version.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:00 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

irmish wrote:
i guess i was just bothered by the fact that digital leisure's arcade authentic dragon's lair cd-rom depicts something different happening than the version in daphne. is one more accurate than the other?

When you suspect that a death scene is incorrect, check your daphne_log.txt file for errors in seeking. Daphne may repeat an earlier scene if it cannot seek properly to its intended scene, which often can result in people seeing the wrong death scene. This is a problem with the framefile. If you don't see any errors in the logfile, it means you are seeing the correct scene.

I just played through to that geyser/electricity and and let Dirk die without jumping through the door. I got the electricity death as well so I believe that is the correct scene you should be seeing. Since daphne is using the original arcade roms, I consider it to be the most authentic to the original arcade's behavior.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:19 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Digital Leisure's "Arcade Authentic" cd-rom is a bit of a misnomer. It was coded from the ground up to be as close to the arcade as they could get it and/or remember it being. However, daphne uses the actual original software from the arcade machine, so nothing can be more accurate than that. Daphne is always making the correct seeks. Whether or not your framefile is accurate is another story...

Offline Profile