It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Timing issues on DL & SA
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 10:28 am 
Registered  User

Hi all 8)

I'm using the DL & SA filesets as converted by DVD2DAPH from my DVD-Roms. I just wanted to ask whether anyone knows why some scenes seem to cut off early. I've viewed the m2v and ogg files in Media Player and know that the scenes are a split-second or two longer than what you get when playing the games through Daphne.

To give you a few examples:

The Giddy Goons scene in Dragon's Lair finishes before the closing music has finished

The Space Ace Attract Mode video cuts off at : "The fate of earth is in your ha..."

At the end of the first Star-Pac sequence in Space Ace, Dexter says : "Space Station, request permission to l..."

I don't know if this is a Rom file problem, it happens with both the standard Roms and also the Enhanced ones.

Also, I was wondering if the 'LD Latency Adjust' item in the DaphneLoader configuration might help this, or whether that is just there for those who use a real laserdisc player.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Krusty

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Timing issues on DL & SA
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 4:29 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Krusty wrote:
Also, I was wondering if the 'LD Latency Adjust' item in the DaphneLoader configuration might help this

Yes, it will help. That's what it's there for, in fact :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 11:23 pm 
Registered  User

Thanks Matt, I can't remember seeing anything about LD Latency in the documentation. Will 'have a play'! :wink:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:27 am 
Registered  User

Can anyone suggest a good latency setting for the converted DVD version of DL playing with the 2.0 enhanced roms? Will setting the latency TOO high cause problems or should I just pop it up to 300ms latency? Forgive my ignorance, I'm not the biggest DL afficianado in the world and don't know how to instantly tell when the latency is perfect and I'm seeing the full video. :P But I'd like to know that I'm seeing the full scene as intended by the authors/animators.

Also, please don't flame me if this is a common question, but is there a way to change the volume of the success/failure beeps relative to the movie volume? If I turn the volume to a comfortable level for the movies, the beeps are really loud and annoying. :-?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:40 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Latency is somewhat configuration-dependent (CPU, real player vs. mpeg, etc.) I find that 150ms works well for my machine most of the time, but I'm using a small mpeg sourced from the laserdisc, not the DVD version.

In general, the way to adjust it is to keep increasing it until you see some overrun into the next scene, then back it down a bit. However, since the DVD files are split up by scenes, they probably don't overrun. In that case, just increase it until it doesn't add any more of the end of the scene, or it freezes on one frame before searching to the next scene, then lower it a bit from that value.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:29 am 
Registered  User

Thanks for the advice. I played with 300ms for awhile and at least know how long each scene is now, heh. I kind of assumed that there would be problems running into the next scene like you said but you're right because the files are split it just goes black after the scene ends. The only issue is that if you mess up on some scenes you see Dirk doing the correct thing anyway and then it abruptly changes to the death scene. I'll just play around with the values until I find a setting where that doesn't happen.

Thanks again for your help.

Anyone have an answer on my sound volume issue?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:30 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

HotWax wrote:
Anyone have an answer on my sound volume issue?

http://www.daphne-emu.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1175

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:02 am 
Registered  User

Thanks, Chip! Decreasing the volume on the DL sounds did the trick.

Offline Profile