It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dedicated Daphne Space Ace Machine
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:20 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Hi all,

I am looking at building a dedicated Space Ace machine with the thanks to Daphne and Digital Leisure and Arcade Renovations.

I know of a cabinet here in Australia that I am going to buy. And use Ultimarc's I.PAC/LED harness/Joystick/buttons to control it.

I am also going to use a 19" monitor as I have re-encoded my files and they look perfect (Thanks to this forum for that)

What I want to know is, where can I get the selector buttons from and would they work ? The selector buttons are the ones for Space Ace/Captain/Cadet. I am using windows 2000 so the LEDS work fine.

I am also going to use a scoreboard (Somehow)

Is there any other way to make/buy selector buttons ?

I'll post pictures when done.

Thanks to all involved in making Daphne, DL and SA is hard enough to find in Australia. So the only way for me is Daphne.

Thanks for your time

Nik

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:28 pm 
Registered  User

Quote:
Is there any other way to make/buy selector buttons ?

there r many places to buy buttons ultimarc for one if ive understood you right, im in the midst of refurbing my jamma cocktail atm and im gonna convert it to mame machine i think in the long run its better, many jamma pcbs i come across always have one fault or another these days unfortunatly, id love to see the pics sooner rather than later, if you need some links ive got a good list for parts tutorials etc let me know and good luck......

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:51 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for the reply. I'd like some links for parts (thanks)
Here is a link to the buttons I am after:

http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/tech/virtual/pics/sa/saconvcp.jpg

They are on the bottom Right (Old Atari red LED buttons)

Nik

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:55 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I have found a repro cabinet and control panel (thanks John)
I'll order the Art kit from Arcade Renovations (Scoreboard plexi too)

All I need are the 3 level select buttons (Small red LED atari buttons) And I think I have a scoreboard located.

So I am hoping to have this completed by Xmas time, and I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Nik

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:54 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I now have a I.PAC from Ultimarc and a J-Stick and some buttons. I have all the wiring done and it's working great. As soon as I have pics of it I'll post them up.

Nik

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:27 am 
Registered  User

Borf wrote:
I now have a I.PAC from Ultimarc and a J-Stick and some buttons. I have all the wiring done and it's working great. As soon as I have pics of it I'll post them up.

Nik

Did you get the Atari conical buttons? Lighted???

If so, where???

I've been looking for some of those for my MAME cab. (Converted Tempest cab (not by me.. well, I went from Jamma to MAME, but I didn't de-Tempest it.. :-)

They seem to generally be a bit tough to get..

desiv

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:53 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

one thing to keep in mind if you're putting daphne into a dedicated SA machine is that daphne does not (yet) support a real annunciator board.

It's not a big deal though, really... I always thought the annunciator on the conversion was a better design than the dedicated. With the conversion, the buttons themselves blink, which makes it fairly obvious you're supposed to press one of them. On the dedicated, the lights flash on the score plexi. How a player was supposed to know this meant you were supposed to push a button on the CP is beyond me. :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:08 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I should of said from the begining.

It IS a conversion cabinet, I never seen a 'Dedicated' Space Ace here is Australia (well in Brisbane anyway) back in 83. I don't even like the look of it. (but I'd own one)

This is what I want it to look like:

http://www.arcadecabinetbuilders.com/SA_DONE/SA_05.JPG

I'll try and get photo's up soon, as I can't stop playing it :P

I don't have the flashing buttons yet, hard to come by, but I am using others for now.

The I.PAC is just what I wanted.

I now have perfect MPEG files thanks to this board.

All I need now is someone to make me a cabinet for Dragon's Lair and life would be complete :wink:

Nik[/url]

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:23 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

All I need now is the scoreboard and the red LED game select buttons.

I know that the keyboard is 5v and the arcade is 12v, could I modify the select buttons to work with the I.PAC ?? Here is a link to the LED's for the I.PAC:

http://www.ultimarc.com/images/ledshi.jpg

I want to be able to use the old Atari buttons with the I.PAC. Anyone know how ths would work ?

I was going to remove the LED's from the Space Ace buttons and use the ones of the I.PAC.

I have also made a nice Win2K start up screen and changed the shell to Game Launcher.

Not much to go now.

Have fun all.

Nik

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:11 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I worked with Andy from Untimarc to get my Atari style buttons working. If I can remember, all you need to do is run a resistor in line with the power to the light. It was actually posted on his web site. I still bought his LED's and used it as my wiring harness for the Atari buttons. The Ultimarc LED's only light up, they are not buttons...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:36 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Games People Play wrote:
I worked with Andy from Untimarc to get my Atari style buttons working. If I can remember, all you need to do is run a resistor in line with the power to the light. It was actually posted on his web site. I still bought his LED's and used it as my wiring harness for the Atari buttons. The Ultimarc LED's only light up, they are not buttons...

Thanks for that as it's good to know.

I know the buttons for the IPAC are just lights, I wanted to find the Atari buttons and see if I could replace them with the IPAC ones.

Thanks again

Nik

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:29 pm 
Registered  User

I am almost finished building a DL/SA cabinet from scratch. With the IPAC, the pinouts used to drive the LED's are bi-directional -- they also serve as button inputs. So you can save some inputs for other functions. Not that it matters, since you won't come close to running out of inputs on an IPAC-2 dedicated solely to SA.

I had thought about adding the Atari skill level buttons to my CP, but these are somewhat hard to find. Whenever they show up on E-Bay, they command a high price. I passed.

As a side note, should you have decided to build a dedicated rather than a conversion SA cabinet running Daphne, you wouldn't need the annunciator board. You can simulate the lighting of the skill level on the scoreboard plexi using the IPAC's LED outputs. Just make sure you drive the LED's from a power source other than through the IPAC.

Howard

Offline Profile