It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: missing death sequence in dle 2.0
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:04 am 
Registered  User

while playing the enhancement set 2.0 in daphne today, i noticed that there's one particular death sequence which appears to be missing from the final screen. the moment in question occurs immediately after you advance halfway toward the magic sword. in order to successfully attain the sword, the dle 2.0 set requires you to move 'right'. however, supposing that after running forward and coming to a full stop you push 'up' instead of 'right', the screen blacks out to what should be a death sequence, but no death is shown. instead, directly following the momentary blackout comes a resurrection sequence. i took a look at my error log afterward and was able to pin the blackout moment down to this particular point in the frame file:

Search to 31298 received - [24] The Dragon's Lair, Sequence 18 Death Scene

i know that there used to be a similar problem on this same screen which caused just such a blackout in a moment that occurred immediately after dirk pulls the magic sword from the gem, but that problem was remedied in the framefile thanks to vera & retropolis. can anything similar be done to fix this other blackout?

irmish

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:28 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Thank you for taking the time to look at the framefile and do the research needed to track down this problem. Based on your findings, here's what I can tell you:

First, I assume you are not using the 20th anniversary dvd-video?

Are you sure that your corresponding m2v file is not missing and is not corrupt? Or, are you sure you have the latest framefile? If you look in the framefile, you will see that there is an entry for that exact frame number.

It should have the following entry:
31298 dls38d3.vob.m2v

which leads me to believe the problem is not with dvd2daph. Please post as you investigate further.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:45 pm 
Registered  User

hi vera. first thing i did was check to make sure that all my files were present and accounted for, and nothing appears to be corrupt. the next thing i did was play the "dls38d3.vob.m2v" file to check it out. it played just fine, but i notice that what it plays is the scene of dirk advancing toward the sword and putting his hand on the hilt, but not an actual death. my problem is that the death scene which should immediately follow that does not play when you move dirk 'forward' instead of 'right' after he comes to a momentary halt halfway from the sword. instead it blacks out briefly. so perhaps my problem isn't with 31298 after all, but with something that comes after it? bear in mind that this only happens when using the enhancement set, and not with the standard f2 roms. but naturally, the allowed moves are different on that screen at that particular moment.

irmish

Offline Profile