It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Which Dragon's Lair ROM do you use?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:07 am 
Registered  User

OK, another newbie here, thanks to the wise words of a certain HellgateFanboy on another reputable forum. ;)

I would like to know which ROM the esteemed members of this forum favour with regards Dragon's Lair? I have so far tried the enhanced ROMs 1.1 and 2.0 and the Rev F2 one. I think I currently prefer the 1.1 version as this, according to the documentation sticks closer to the original sequencing.

Thoughts?

dd

"Ooie, ooie, ooie and the cow went mooie!" Baba Jack

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:13 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

I don't think there's a single answer to that question...

From various posts I've seen/read here and on the DLP, it seems that there are reasons for preferring each of them:

- For people who know the original game very well, F2 is the gold standard. For 100% authentic gameplay, there is no substitute.

- For people who want an 'improved' version of the original, DLE 1.1 is best. It adds the drawbridge scene, and eliminates many quirks and illogical moves and timing.

- DLE 2.0 is the game as it should have been made to begin with. If you aren't very familiar with the original, this will provide the best play experience. OTOH, if you know the game well, and don't want to 're-learn' it, it will probably just frustrate you.

Personally, I like all three, and would be hard-pressed to name a favorite. I think it would have to be DLE 2, given the amount of thought, detail, and effort that went into its creation.

-Warren.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:17 pm 
Registered  User

Wonderful response!

Get your ass over to WotR, put fingers to keys and share your enthusiasm with other gaming lovers.

A really refreshing response to my first post! Thanks. :D

dd

"Ooie, ooie, ooie and the cow went mooie!" Baba Jack

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:47 pm 
Registered  User

I always go with F2 or DLE2.0, but I like DLE1.1 too, it seems much like the italian version than the F2.

Aloha! ;)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Which Dragon's Lair ROM do you use?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:37 am 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

Dragon's Lair Extra Hard is fun to play, it really keeps me on my toes!
I dislike the altered moves on the Lava Men scene of the Enhanced version.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:11 pm 
Registered  User

Personally, Daphne wins because despite the over 60 versions Digital Leisure has come up with over the years, no one but Daphne has been truly been able to reproduce the arcade experience. The E ROM on Very Hard is what many arcades were using (according to my experience)--trying to kill you with cheap split second timing as the scenes would literally start at the first decision.

However with the latest downloadable and PS3 versions Digital Leisure actually introduced a variant of that ROM on the Pool scene and the room blocking itself.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:21 am 
Registered  User

[quote="deltaquad"]I always go with F2 or DLE2.0, but I like DLE1.1 too, it seems much like the italian version than the F2.

Aloha! ;)[/quote]

Me too ;) They are amazing

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:44 am 
Registered  User

As a kid, in '83, I remember seeing the drawbridge on location, and missed it in (the default rom used by) Daphne when I first got it several years ago.

I early on had Daphne set for the drawbridge scene, but am currently using F2, because it's a pain switching roms every time I want to play a game, and the drawbridge scene apparently wasn't worth the weirdness in 1.1 - which I re-experienced just now (and had to re-learn the drawbridge scene!) wherein I majorly sucked. The sequence of 1.1 seems more like back when, and is more consistent in giving you the first few scenes every game play, before moving on to other stuff.

Oh, another weird thing about 1.1 is the signs are a different design and font on the canoe scene.

2.1 is interesting. Sequencing and video quality seem the best, as well as the general pace seeming slower, except that some scenes (like the snake cavern) require sooner moves. It also seems to ignore the dip switches that make the other roms skip the start-up checks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:47 pm 
Registered  User

[quote="toufic"]As a kid, in '83, I remember seeing the drawbridge on location, and missed it in (the default rom used by) Daphne when I first got it several years ago.

I early on had Daphne set for the drawbridge scene, but am currently using F2, because it's a pain switching roms every time I want to play a game, and the drawbridge scene apparently wasn't worth the weirdness in 1.1 - which I re-experienced just now (and had to re-learn the drawbridge scene!) wherein I majorly sucked. The sequence of 1.1 seems more like back when, and is more consistent in giving you the first few scenes every game play, before moving on to other stuff.

Oh, another weird thing about 1.1 is the signs are a different design and font on the canoe scene.

2.1 is interesting. Sequencing and video quality seem the best, as well as the general pace seeming slower, except that some scenes (like the snake cavern) require sooner moves. It also seems to ignore the dip switches that make the other roms skip the start-up checks.[/quote]
Hi That is great, That is awesome information, i was also looking for this.and also he latest downloadable and PS3 versions Digital Leisure actually introduced a variant of that ROM on the Pool scene and the room blocking itself.keep it up
Regards

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Dragon's Lair ROM
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:54 pm 
Registered  User

Hi,

I have the ROM for DL (and SA) and I'm simply trying to get it to play with the Daphne Emu. My question, is it possible to burn the ROM to a DVD that Daphne will recognize from the PC's DVD player and if so, is there any special way I need to burn it (bootable, ISO, etc.)
I would gladly order the 20th ann. edition DVD but I can't find it ANYWHERE!!! Also, I would gladly donate funds to Daphne, Matt, or anyone involved in bringing these classics back.

Thanks!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:34 pm 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

You can buy the DVDs from Digital Leisure website or eBay.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:24 pm 
Registered  User

[quote="italiandoh"]You can buy the DVDs....[/quote]
Thanks. Just after I posted this, I found their site.
I plan on buying but I'm still curious, can I make an Iso or a playable Dvd from the ROM? Has anyone tried this?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:33 pm 
Registered  User

Hey all,

This might be in the wrong thread, but here goes anyway. I was looking on amazon for the 20th anniversary box set and I noticed a digital download version of dragon's lair. Is there a way to get the digital download version to work for the copy protection? I don't mind buying it I just don't want to wait for it to come in the mail (all about instant gratification).

On another note I recently came into position of a Super Don Qe Hota (spelling?) laser-disc. I want to rip the info off of the disc and use it in daphne. I do not have a laser-disc player however. Any ideas how I can get Super Don Qe Hota to work?

Thanks in advance guys, keep up the good work.

David (TriNitro) Nelson

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:26 pm 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

TriNitro wrote:
Hey all,
This might be in the wrong thread, but here goes anyway. I was looking on amazon for the 20th anniversary box set and I noticed a digital download version of dragon's lair. Is there a way to get the digital download version to work for the copy protection? I don't mind buying it I just don't want to wait for it to come in the mail (all about instant gratification).

That version is not supported by Daphne AFAIK.

TriNitro wrote:
On another note I recently came into position of a Super Don Qe Hota (spelling?) laser-disc. I want to rip the info off of the disc and use it in daphne. I do not have a laser-disc player however. Any ideas how I can get Super Don Qe Hota to work?

No need to reinvent the wheel. Use this, it will download everything you need to play SDQ.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:22 am 
Registered  User

I would prefer the 1.1 version as well. Version 2.0 was actually a joke which was not given a priority in the first place. They had better plans while working the version 2.0. but 1.1 was actually their sole existence.

-------------------------
CORBIN GRAVELY
https://moderngps.edu.om

Last edited by corbingravely on Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:20 pm 
Registered  User

I use Dragon's Lair (US Rev. F2) ROM for MAME from Rom Hustler. I have no trouble to play this games for hours.

Offline Profile