It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Using daphne and a DL cab
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:08 am 
Registered  User

OK I hopefully will be getting a DL cab soon. The million dollar question is how might I go about making it into a Daphne cab. Is there a FAQ anywhere I will be buying a Ipac for the controls but as for as what monitor to get to work well with a video card and the scoreboard function I'm clueless any help would be great!

Thanks

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:57 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

If you want to use an arcade monitor you can get an ArcadeVGA card from Ulitmarc or you can just put a regular pc monitor in the cab. You can do a search on MAME and get all kinds of information about monitor/card combinations.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:22 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

I converted my Dragon's Lair machine into a Daphne cab. For the monitor I used the U3100 from Wells Gardner, which has a VGA interface, so no other special equipment is needed to interface it with the PC.

For the scoreboard I purchased a repro scoreboard from ArcadeRenovations.com, which has a built in Serial interface for interfacing with the computer. I still had to manually put together a power plug for the scoreboard (it needs +5V, which can be supplied from the computer power supply). It was a little tricky, but mostly the hard part was just finding the right kind of connector at Fry's. Once I had that, I just had to make sure that I didn't accidentally wire it into the +12V lead from the computer, but I managed to get it right the first time.

Depending on what OS you are using, you may need to use the CVS build of Daphne. The current release doesn't support the external scoreboard in Win2000 without special hacks. The CVS build fixes the problem.

-Jeff "etumor"

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:39 am 
Registered  User

Think I might use a happ control 19" SVGA monitor. Dose any sell the scoreboard ribbon cable to lpt port here. I really suck at soldering and might blow up the scoreboard if I attempt it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:36 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

etumor, do you happen to remember what part you got for the scoreboard power? It would be nice to have a record of it if possible for other users (myself included... hehe)

taunt, if you get the repro scoreboard, it has an additional "daphne" connector so you don't need a special cable. A regular PC parallel cable will work fine. If you have an original scoreboard, you will need to make a custom cable as described in the daphne docs.

I also have a daphne cabinet, and have set a few up for others as well. I usually use TVs for the monitor. That way it's an easy switch to go between a real LDP and a PC with TV-Out. However, if an LDP is something you know you'll never use, a Happ monitor may be your best bet, although a bit more expensive. Hans Eilers' great monitor/TV swap tutorial just went online at the DLP. Check it out:

http://www.d-l-p.com/tech/docs/MonitorSwap.asp

=)
chip

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:14 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

I don't remember what it was called. The next time I'm in Fry's, I'll take a look. In the meantime, here's a picture. It's the white connector that the black and red wires are coming out of.

-Jeff "etumor"

Offline Profile