It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DaphneX source? (or problem solution)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:01 am 
Registered  User

Hey all.

I've been looking around and seem to have some issues with DaphneX.

Ideally I'd like to just get my problems fixed, but I can't seem to find anyone with the same problems. I've not found any solution to this in over an hour of searching the net. What's happening is that everything starts out fine, but when a death happens I am advanced as if I were successful. After 3 deaths it jumps straight to some death scenes until I'm out of lives.

could it be that I'm using dvd2daph with the DVD video game version of dragon's lair? It would make me sad if I bought this and it wouldn't work. :(

I was going to try and get the source and see if I could compile it with the free xbox XDK tools (http://www.openxdk.org/), but have not found the source anywhere. I'm not sure I'm ambitious enough to start all of this from scratch again, so i was wondering if the source was available? I thought it was GPL'd, but maybe not.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:35 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

the source to daphne is GPL'd, so kubik was supposed to release his changes, but he didn't. There's not much anyone can do about it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:24 am 
Registered  User

is there anyone that has Kubik's email address or a way to get a hold of him?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: :(
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:34 pm 
Registered  User

Too bad -- this is the second project that was GPL'd and binary only released for the xbox that I've wanted to use.

I emailed him from within one of the xbox-scene forums, but I think it went to daphnex@yahoo.com or something, so if he's not checking that he's not going to get it.

Too bad, I'd love to get this working "properly" for the xbox. I don't have the time to sink into a from scratch port. Ohwell. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:09 am 
Registered  User

I have got to get cobra command to work on xbox. All of my other laser games work but cobra. Somebody has to have the solution to this its driving me crazy. I want to add games to the daphnex list. I have Firefox and GtoG.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:13 pm 
Registered  User

Well, if you can get your hands on that source I can take a look at it. I'm working on a completely new port of reminiscene to OS X right now, with the hopes that I'll understand enough of that to port it to the xbox with the OpenXDK and SDLx later. (the current one that's out there doesn't work on my xbox for some reason) I'd be happy to lay off of that for a while and try to get DaphneX going if I have a place to start. From what little I was able to find out on the net, Kubik used a microsoft XDK to get this going (which I don't have access to) so I may be out of luck anyhow.

Also I (still) can't get DL working properly on the xbox. Interestingly, I get the same issues on my OS X machine that I do on the xbox, so something wierd is going on.

Using the 2.0 enhanced roms... ripped from digital leisure's DVD-Video game version using dvd2daph. Starting with 5 lives. Everything starts normally. Things seem to work well until I die the second time. (Usually early on, I've hardly used the enhanced roms, so i don't know what I'm doing =) ) Once that happens I am moved to the next scene after the death sequence. This continues until I am left with only 2 lives, which both show immediately Drik getting the squeeze by the red and white striped snake.

I've checked my framefiles against others out on the net and they seem to be the same. I know Kubik suggested to use a single mpeg and ogg file but I don't have the laserdisc and don't want to get a "pirate" copy.

Anyone have a solution to this? Or someplace I can start looking?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:47 pm 
Registered  User

Hey slycrel,
The best way to get Dragon's Lair to work on daphne is to have a mpeg copy of the original laser disk not the pc version.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:46 pm 
Registered  User

Yeah, I know... See the last comment I made above. I don't want to pay for a real laserdisc (I'm cheap, what can I say) and I'd rather not pirate it. So I'm in a tough spot. I'm still not sure why it works the same way on the mac though. I'll let you guys know if I figure it out.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:32 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

popdeckpappy wrote:
is there anyone that has Kubik's email address or a way to get a hold of him?

IguanaPB on AIM. Good luck.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:27 am 
Registered  User

Thanks Vera!

I was able to chat a bit with Kubik. He isn't specifically holding back on the source, though he didn't give it to me right away. Apparently he works for a game company and is in crunch time for E3 at the moment. I told him I'd ask again after E3 and he was OK with that.

I'll let you guys know if I get the source.

In the meantime, I'll play around some more with re-ripping my DVD or something. Maybe try it out on my PC.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:45 pm 
Registered  User

Where the heck do you get DaphneX. Can someone supply a link. And is there anything special you have to do to your XBOX to get it to work?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:21 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

dan wrote:
Where the heck do you get DaphneX. Can someone supply a link.

no. Sorry, but it was created with the XDK.

Ironically, the fact that the source was never distributed (which *is* ok) is a violation of the GPL. heh.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:48 pm 
Registered  User

dan, check xbox-scene.com. If you check around the "usual places" you might come across it.

Offline Profile