It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: dragons lair question
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:35 am 
Registered  User

Hi a long time ago I remember playing dragons lair and space ace. any way to cut a long story short I got the DL & ace laser discs ect and was planning to put it in a cab when I then came across Daphne and decided it would be cool to have them in one cab. So with the help of a friend started the project I worked on the cab and my friend set about converting the games I have no real computer programming knowledge (he has now moved abroad and can no longer help me) so I really hope that you will be able to help.

The cab is now complete has the computer inside and looking good but I am having a few problems with dragons lair and space ace.

DRAGONS LAIR PROBLEM. The game starts up ok and goes into the attract mode and plays in about 20 seconds (to where derk uses his sword on the octopus tentacles) beeps then resets to start this only happens the first time it loads then it works great after that.

Daphne log notepad

--DAPHNE version 0.99.6
--Command line is: C:\daphne\daphne.exe dle20 vldp -framefile C:\daphne\framefile\lair\lair new frame file.txt -bank 0 10111000 -bank 1 01110111
--CPU : GenuineIntel 3000 MHz || Mem : 512 megs
--OS : Windows XP/.NET || Video : NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600
LDV1000 : Instantaneous seeking enabled!
Set 640x480 at 32 bpp with flags: 0
Initializing sound system ...
No joysticks detected
Reading key remapping file ... (if the file is corrupt, daphne will crash, just so you know hehe)
Loading compressed ROM image DLE20_U1.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image DLE20_U2.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image DLE20_U3.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image DLE20_U4.bin...8192 bytes read.
Booting ROM ...
LDP : Since disc was stopped, we are flushing the timers (remove me later)
Play
LDP : disc is already playing, play command ignored
Play
Display disable received
Search to 323 received - [25] Attract Mode, Sequence 0 Attract Mode
NOTE: converting FPS from 23.976000 to 25.000000. This may be less accurate.
Play

Also if I remember the game correct (I may be wrong though) when you die you could insert another credit to continue. This is not an option I have when I die it just goes back to the start of attract mode.

I have read all I can in the forums and FAQ but still can not find the solution.

As at the moment it is a dedicated Daphne (plans in the future to have mame on it as well) I would really like to have the games set up as they are supposed to be.

I will tackle the little problem with space ace at a later date as I am still working on this.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and if you could help that would be GREAT. :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:47 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Both issues are exactly how the US version Dragon's Lair should work... maybe you are used to the European version which is not in Daphne officially yet.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:59 pm 
Registered  User

Thanks mark :D

I am so happy that I can now move on to space ace and get that working properly

I have only played the DL version that came out in England. I did not realise that there was a difference between them. I did win the discs of the e-bay in America. That might be the problem we had at converting it then.

But does any one know if I remembered correct about when you die you could insert another credit to continue on the uk version as my memory of this game if a bit off.

Simon

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:55 am 
Registered  User

Hi Sly,
I played DL/SA in Italy, both the Atari (probably the version you played) and the Sidam releases, but I don't remember there was a "continue" option.
By the way, (for the developers) any progress with the "laireuro" driver?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:36 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

The only time I have ever seen DL want to continue, was at Grundy's on the Gold Coast in Australia when I was a young teenager. It said:

"Insert Token to Continue" or something along those lines.

But out of all the DL machines I have played and owned, none gave me this option

Last edited by Borf on Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:43 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

there is a dipswitch setting on the US version that is not really a "continue after game over" feature, but rather a "put in more cash if you want to continue playing" feature. Most ops avoided this, as the user was required to put more money in the machine even if they still had lives remaining. Borf, this is likely what you saw. You can see the slates used for this feature at the start of the disc. Or, just set the dips accordingly and see for yourself. :)

The only place "continue after game over" was implemented in DL in the US was in the home releases. I'm not sure about overseas arcade releases though.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:25 am 
Registered  User

Thanks guys

It most probably was ADD COIN TO CONTINUE PLAYING. It has been so long since I last player it as over in the uk it was only in the very very very big arcades and then not in many at that.

:D THANKS TO ALL THE DEVELOPERS & ALL INVOLVED IN DAPHNE :D for the chance to keep such classic old laser games alive. I loved DL as a kid and its great to now see my kids playing and enjoying these games as much as I did when I was there age - well when they can get me off it that is. please keep up the great work.

Simon

Offline Profile