It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Why use Daphne?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:46 pm 
Registered  User

I am a bit confused. I just bought the 20th Anniversary version of DL, DL2 and Space Ace (CD-ROM versions). You can just copy all of the files directly to a directory on your hard drive and point the front end to run that program when you select the game. What is the benefit of using an emulator such as Daphne to play these particular games? Do they play differently within Daphne than they do otherwise?

Also, assuming I wanted to use Daphne to play these... can convvid2daph and/or dvd2daph be used to rip the video and convert it to the necessary formats from Daphne from the CD-ROM versions?

Thanks...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:02 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

The reason to use Daphne is because Daphne uses the original game roms to play the game. The cd's use a conversion of them and allthough the ymay be close to the original they are not exactly like the original. So, if you just want to play Dragons' Lair you can use the cd's but if you want to play arcade authentic Dragons' Lair then you need to use Daphne.

I believe either of those programs would be able to rip the files for use with Daphne.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:27 pm 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

Hello,

Of course, another reason is that, once installed, you can easily play other Laserdisc based games with Daphne.

Even if Dragon's Lair was the main motivation to develop it at first, Daphne has since expanded to many other games.

Dvd2daph has been working great for me with DL and SA fron the DVD Video versions.

Regards,

Stephane

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:43 pm 
Registered  User

Yet another reason would be the ability to play the new homebrew "Enhanced" romsets of DL & SA, fixing many small bugs, mixing up the rooms better, utilizing more footage.... Definately worth checking out.

Offline Profile