It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DL DVD-Video Conversion
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:11 am 
Registered  User

I recently built a cab and want to run Dragon's lair and Space ace... the problem i am having is that my cab uses a Vertical monitor. i have figured out that i have to rotate the mpeg. The problem is that when i try to convert my DVD-Video's that were bought much earlier i wind up hundereds of little files. As i havent found a way to convert the hundreds of little files is there any way i can convert the video to a single easily rotateable file? I have tried Convvid and dvd2daph but havent figured it out if it is possible.

*whew* it was tough figuring out the correct question to ask to not break the rules... i tried anways...

i have searched these fourms as well as every web page i couldnt find and am still stumped. Thanks in advance!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:49 am 
Registered  User

so i'll take by the massive ammount of replies that this is not possible as far as anyone knows. :-?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:37 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I take it you also use the cabinet for MAME ??

If not, buy a new monitor, Why did you install a vertical monitor if you wanted to run DL and SA ??? :-?

I use a 21" monitor in my cabinet (DL conversion SA)

http://www.cliffrestored.zoomshare.com/album/Space%20Ace/images/e33d4fdd22a9ad0b1daef57fc0918200_11338624060/image.jpg

It was not finished in the photo. but it is now.

Andrew

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:11 am 
Registered  User

Ok, i'll try to answer your questions in order....

the main use of my cab is indeed mame... i also run a jukebox (wincab) and want to add Daphne.

A new monitor isn't really an option... first, the cab is so small i couldnt fit anything bigger then a 20" horizontal monitor insted of the 26" vertical TV it currently has (which works out to the same 20" when used as a horizontal), second; $funds$

I didn't install a Vertical monitor, thats just what it had... it is actually a dead cab that was partially restored when i got a hold of it, i just finished it. I still intend on building my own cab when $funds$ allow. i already have a bunch of buttons and 2 - 29" arcade monitors, in need of a cap kit, ready to go, but wood is expensive... so it wont be an issue in my next cab.... but was I wondering if i could get it running sooner rather then later.

If i had known that i couldnt get it working i wouldnt have bothered to order DL, SA and DL2 off ebay though :(

pretty sweet looking cab, if i had the time, space and money i would build a dedicated Daphne machine that looked like that!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:31 pm 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

Hey dude,

I here you. I've got an original cocktail cab that I mamed and daphned that has a vertical monitor. I love it and don't have room for another cab with a horizontal monitor but want mine to be as retro and as versital as possible.

You are probably intending to rotate the mpeg with editing software right? If you use the DVD2daphne conversion from the 20th anniversary DVDs there really aren't very many m2v files for DL. (You don't have to spend time rotating the prototypes) So that shouldn't be too hard.

However, for SA and DL2 you get a million m2v files and as you said, it's a daunting task to rotate each one. So you have to rip or get a hold of a rip of a laserdisk conversion that has only one m2v file. This technique will only work for DL, SA, and DL2 and not for any other daphne game because of the overlays.

Here is a way to cheat: Create a seperate profile in Windows XP specifically for daphne. Create a black wall paper background, tell windows to shrink all window borders as small as they can go, download a black mouse pointer and play daphne in "Window" mode. This will give the illusion of playing daphne at a 3:4 aspect ratio with black borders on the top and bottom.

Just out of curiosity, what program are you planning to use to rotate the m2v files. I'm curious becasue I lost a little quality with my technique.

Matt, we're dying over here :) any chance for a rotational feature in a future release?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:06 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

juggle50 wrote:
Matt, we're dying over here :) any chance for a rotational feature in a future release?

I'm gonna let the donators decide what I work on next. They will have the power... :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:48 pm 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

Gotcha,

Money talks, makes sense 8) How much would we have to raise for a feature like that? I recently lost my job but could contribute a little and spearhead a little fund raiser.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:35 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

I will post some more details about it in the future. I don't really view any donations as people paying me to do work for them, I view them more as a community working together to accomplish something better than if people just worked alone (hence the ongoing gp2x project).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:00 am 
Registered  User

juggle50 wrote:
You are probably intending to rotate the mpeg with editing software right? If you use the DVD2daphne conversion from the 20th anniversary DVDs there really aren't very many m2v files for DL. (You don't have to spend time rotating the prototypes) So that shouldn't be too hard.

However, for SA and DL2 you get a million m2v files and as you said, it's a daunting task to rotate each one. So you have to rip or get a hold of a rip of a laserdisk conversion that has only one m2v file. This technique will only work for DL, SA, and DL2 and not for any other daphne game because of the overlays.

Just out of curiosity, what program are you planning to use to rotate the m2v files. I'm curious becasue I lost a little quality with my technique.

Well i am actually spending the time to rotate all the DL files (thats the one i REALLY want working) but wasnt planning on doing that fo SA and DL2 (although they would be nice) i am really only intrested in the "big 3" for my cab, but would be very happy if i could get all vids working on my cab!

i am using adobe premiere for rotating the files and shrink them 75% and outputing the result to avi, then converting them back to M2V. adobe is a good program as i can output the file with the black bars on top and bottom so other programs don'tr try to resize them. I am probably losing some quality as i am converting them twice, but it seems to be the best way to do it. Ideally i would like to find a program that i can set the prameters and then do the job batch... but i havent found anything that does that...yet....

<whistles innocently> hmmm get a hold of a laserdisk rip.... hmmm.... never thought of that.... <whistles innocently> it is against the rules of the board to ask if anyone knows where i can get a laserdisk rip.... so i couldnt possibly ask if ANYONE KNOWS WHERE I CAN GET A LASERSISK RIP! too bad, i would love to find "the big 3" laserdisk rip versions!

I had one a few years ago, but lost it in a crash... thats why i picked up thew DVD-Video versions on ebay.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:58 am 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

Unfortunately you can't ask that question here or this thread will be locked. I used adobe premiere to rotate everything as well in the way you described. You really shouldn't have many files for DL, if I remember correctly there are only 3 relevant m2v files. Most of them are "proto" files that you don't need to rotate.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:05 am 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

Understood Matt,

I really will try to donate in the near future. I figure I owe you guys anyway :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:33 am 
Registered  User

well i guess I didn't get the 20th annv DVD because when i run dvd2daph i get 195 M2V files. but it would have been nice to only get 3!

I am currently looking into a few programs that have been suggested by a friend that may be able to do it from a command line... then it would just be a simple task to make a batch file that should convert the files for me, or even just add it into the dvd2daph runtime... i am looking for a solution that would let me convert the "big 3" for use in my cab.

i'll keep plugging at it, if i ever find a simple elegant solution i'll be sute to let you know!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:02 am 
Registered  User

LOL, hey Juggle50, you might find this funny, i was just digging through my old files and found a printout of an old post that i based my DL conversion on... yours, from Jun 30 2005. hahahah i guess i didnt really have to tell you how i was converting it, i based mine on yours.

i am still working on a faster was of converting them... but i am having problems converting the avi's i get out of most conversion programs back to M2V. i have yet to find a was of doing that batch! I can rotate and deinterlace and resize the m2vs but they get saved to avis. i have yet to find a way to convert the avi's back to avi's as a batch.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:32 am 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

ha ha, cool. Yeah, I had to convert them back to m2vs one at a time, a real pain in the rear. You also lose a bit of quality in the process. Please let me know if you find a quicker way.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:01 am 
Registered  User

ummmmmmmm, did i miss a memo or something?

i am not complaining, BUT....

took me months but i finally worked out a system to batch convert the files for DL... it wasnt perfect... i had to convert the M2Vs to avi then back to M2V. i lost a little quality, but not enough to notice on my rotated 26" TV. I was working on tweaking the program i was using to eleminate the AVI stage! almost got it working, just having alot of problems with bitrate issues.

so anyways used my interm process to convert DL, DL2 and SA. 10 min to set up and 3 hours of processing later, nicley rotated resized and deinterlaced files.

Transfered them to my cab and BOOM, i am looking at my cab displaying the start screen of DL :o SIDEWAYS?!? WTF? the rotated files were well rotated!

so i re ripped the DL disk and transfered it over and works like a charm... it doesnt fill the screen or anything but looks good and is already rotated.

like i said... not complaning, i guess i really should have tested it before i spent the time working on it, but i was shocked, i havent tried any other games besides DL, but i am off to do it now. :oops:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:44 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

why go through all the trouble? Daphne now supports screen rotation, thanks to Matt and OpenGL, and the donators who voted!:

https://www.daphne-emu.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2096

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:13 am 
Registered  User

chip wrote:
why go through all the trouble? Daphne now supports screen rotation, thanks to Matt and OpenGL, and the donators who voted!:

https://www.daphne-emu.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2096

well like i said, i have been working on this for months now... as rotation was added YESTERDAY, gaaaaaah, boggles thie mind!

but GREAT, this makes my whole problem moot!

THANKS to everyone involved, and i will just shut up about this now!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:51 pm 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

My sentiments too,

This new feature is way easier and you can play all daphne games, including ones with overlays. Tba, hopefully the work we did on the mpegs will serve us in life someday. :)

Offline Profile