It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Collecting items on DL2
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:35 pm 
Registered  User

I never played the Timewarp game at the aracades and want to know if when you collect an item, say the key for example, the game will show you collect it then rewind a bit and the key is still there but you then have to move away and back out of the cave. Is this normal?
Thanks
Mark :-?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:55 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

yes, that is how the arcade game functions, although I don't believe that's how it was originally designed. I think it was supposed to "freeze time" and then continue without rewinding. See the 20th anniversary cd-rom from Digital Leisure for what we thought was the original design (complete with the missing alternate level 7!) For arcade authenticity, use daphne.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Musings on Dragons Lair 2
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:17 pm 
Registered  User

Thanks Chip, at least I know there is nothing wrong with my disc copy.
I am enjoying the game so far but wonder why the games company dropped the random element from Dragons Lair for a linear approach? I find it a slight step backwards, although still obviously a top game.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:01 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

My guess is they dropped the random element so they could develop more of a plot. Plus with the length of the scenes, they may have been afraid of turning off too many players. It would have been much harder to learn scenes of that length if they were random. I dropped more quarters into DL2 than I care to admit in order to learn the game, and had it been random, I'm not sure I would have kept going.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:06 am 
Registered  User

While we are on the items in DL2, just wondering how long it most people to find the butterfly in level 5.
I was tearing my hair out for ages till i found it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:15 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

I finished DL2 when it was still in the arcades, but it wasn't a problem for me. I don't remember how long it took me to find it, but I knew where all the treasures were before I had finished level 6. It wasn't until I was figuring out 7 and 8 that I somehow missed a treasure along the way and then found out you needed them all to get into 7. I had just been getting them all anyway.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:27 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Ehm... sorry guys... what can you tell me about this missing 7th level in DL2? is it playable in the 20th anniversary edition? If I buy it, can I play it with Daphne? what would you suggest, DVD video or CDrom version (why there's not a dvdrom version I don't know...)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:58 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

What do you mean by "the missing level 7"? As I see it, there are 2 possibilities:

1) you mean the alternate level 7 which was animated, but cut from the arcade game. This scene is *only* available in home mode on the DL2 disc from the Dragon's Lair 20th Anniversary cd-rom set. It is *not* in the dvd-video set. I had a lot to do with the cd-rom edition, and tried to make sure DL2 was as accurate as possible in "arcade mode", and as close to what the original designers intended (complete with this missing alternate level 7) in "home" mode.

Basically, the original design was that if you got all the treasures, you were rewarded with an alternate level 7. If you missed any, you got a longer level 7. When space on the disc became an issue, the shorter level 7 was dropped from the arcade, and they coded it so you *had* to get all the treasures in order to enter level 7 at all. We put the alternate back in the game on the 20th cd-rom. This shorter level 7 was previously seen on the CD-i and (I think) 3D0 and Jaguar versions of the game

The alternate level 7 is not currently playable in daphne, because it was never included on any of the arcade discs (that we know of... there's a chance it was on a prototype disc) and therefore is not coded in any DL2 romsets. It *might* be playable someday, if say, a DL2E or something similar comes along.

2) You mean the reverse original (non-alternate) level 7, which was mistakenly left out of the original DL2 DVD-Rom and DVD-Video. This was fixed for the 20th anniversary editions, in which the reverse scene was reinstated.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:53 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

thanks for clearing things up.
I wasn't aware that the specular level7 was missing...
It is possible to convert the 20th anniversary edition of Dragon's lair 2 and use it with daphne to get that specular level?
Thanks!!!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:23 am 
Dragon's Lair Project Staff
Dragon's Lair Project Staff

[quote="chip"]It *might* be playable someday, if say, a DL2E or something similar comes along.[/quote]

Here I am! :)
DL2E: http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/tec ... s/dl2e.asp

Using the Dexter laserdisc replacement, DL2E is proud to add the alternate level 7 to the game!

Offline Profile