It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:20 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Mark Broadhead wrote:

But the heart and soul of Dragon's Lair to me is the animation and not the medium through which it was delivered. And I believe that this HD transfer will be the closest thing to what Don Bluth intended when he animated the game that we will ever see.

Could not agree more on this.

Back in 83 Laserdisc WAS the best medium for video. I remember seeing a movie on LD and it was just SO much better than VHS. Burt then along came DVD. While some (at the beginging) said it was crap I think we all love the picture quality

Now we have HD-DVD and Blu-Ray and I am VERY excited. The HD trailer looks AMAZING and I can't wait to see it in all it's glory :D

70's - VHS
80's - Laserdisc
90's - DVD
00's - HD-DVD/Blu-Ray

Bring it on I say.

I have a capture of Space Ace from laserdisc, I guess I could post up the intro or something so people could see the difference ?

Or better yet, have a look at my Cliff Hanger page where I have a LD capture and the DVD version.

http://www.cliffrestored.zoomshare.com/1.shtml/Cliff%20Hanger%20Restored%20Edition

Andrew

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:49 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Mark Broadhead wrote:

But the heart and soul of Dragon's Lair to me is the animation and not the medium through which it was delivered. And I believe that this HD transfer will be the closest thing to what Don Bluth intended when he animated the game that we will ever see.

Yes, of course, the animation is the most important thing... well, I guess I'm with you on this... but... I don't know...
I think I wouldn't be like this if I hadn't in mind that terrible 3rd level fo DL2 that Digital leisure released.
I even asked them if they corrected it in the 20th anniversary edition (I read here in the meanwhile that they didn't) and they told me:"what color problem?". They don't even learn from they mistakes...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:34 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

HowardC wrote:
Don't insult us here. I know exactly what this is. Dl is trying to squeeze another 60 bucks out of it's very loyal fans who have practically kept the company in business by buying the same two titles multiple times. Like I said, I think it's great that they are finally getting around to making a nice, true to life transfer, but that doesn't excuse the 10 or so imperfect attempts they release literally once a year.

Well, I personally haven't purchased any of those previous attempts, because I haven't seen anything that I haven't been able to obtain on my own using video capture equipment, a dragon's lair laserdisc, and a player.

This is the first time (in quite a while) that they're releasing something that I can't get anywhere else. It doesn't really affect me that they've re-released Dragon's Lair over and over again because I only bought the stuff that interested me out of those re-releases.

I give a big thumbs up to this film scan. The only thing I don't like is that apparently it will only be offered in a lossy format. The thing I really want is super high quality Dragon's Lair in a lossless format, and that is the thing I will pay for.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Very Nice!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:47 pm 
DAPHNE Bronze Donator
DAPHNE Bronze Donator

Hey Guys,

In the big picture, or from the outside looking in... It's just sooo nice to see such talented individuals working with the original Dragon Lair footage OVER 30 YEARS LATER in the year 2006! Thank God for Digital Leisure/Daphne and Thank God the game has not been forgotten!. I'm blessed to have all the versions and the HD disc will just be one more fantastic piece to anyone's collection... If I want to see it as I originally saw it in 1983, I'll just take out the original LD... If I want to just one day stare silly in awe at my computer screen in 1920X1080, I'll put in the HD disc. No worries! :o
I would be lying though if I told you that I wouldn't love to play the HD version somehow through Daphne... it would just be too nice of a novelty to pass up! :wink:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:53 pm 
Registered  User

The 20th anniversary was 2003 :) - but the 30 years we get the idea you're trying to get across.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Very Nice!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:45 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

mark twain wrote:
Hey Guys,

In the big picture, or from the outside looking in... It's just sooo nice to see such talented individuals working with the original Dragon Lair footage OVER 30 YEARS LATER in the year 2006! Thank God for Digital Leisure/Daphne and Thank God the game has not been forgotten!. I'm blessed to have all the versions and the HD disc will just be one more fantastic piece to anyone's collection... If I want to see it as I originally saw it in 1983, I'll just take out the original LD... If I want to just one day stare silly in awe at my computer screen in 1920X1080, I'll put in the HD disc. No worries! :o
I would be lying though if I told you that I wouldn't love to play the HD version somehow through Daphne... it would just be too nice of a novelty to pass up! :wink:

You have the LD, and you bought all the version of digital leisure?
You are blessed to have all the versions? Are you kidding, I hope...
If not... well...

Offline Profile