It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm a Mac Head Newbie...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:26 am 
Registered  User

Thank you for welcoming me to this forum.
I am 41 now and I have a lot of great memories playing the arcade games Dragon's Lair (DL) and Space Ace (SA) as a young 'un.
I would love to be able to play these games again, and I hope you all can help me.
I currently own an Apple iMac (which is about 4 years old) -- I am a definite "Mac Head".
Could you please tell me how I can (and if I can) play DL and SA on my current iMac....can you recommend which DVD-ROMs or CD-ROMs of DL and SA that I should get (particularly from Digital Leisure)....and, most importantly, can you assist me in being able to download the appropriate DAPHNE emulator with any of the above mentioned discs.
I also wanted to let you all know that I am aware of DL-HD having been released recently, and SA-HD is coming soon. My next new computer will be (in all probability) the brand new Mac Pro with quad Intel Xeon processors.
I hope to hear from someone very soon, and I would love to re-live the DL and SA experience again!!
Thanks!

Jodi

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:25 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Hey Jodi,

your best bet to simply play the games is to get the DVD-Videos from Digital Leisure. They'll play in almost anything, including your old mac (provided it has a dvd drive).

The new HD releases are only for Windows, so they won't work for you now, but they will if you get that new Intel Mac and install Windows on it. (I think the latest macs actually ship with Windows installed)

Once you get that far and realize "hey, this doesn't play the same as I remember it from the arcades!" then come back here and we'll help you get daphne running with your digital leisure product(s).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:26 am 
Registered  User

chip wrote:
Hey Jodi,

your best bet to simply play the games is to get the DVD-Videos from Digital Leisure. They'll play in almost anything, including your old mac (provided it has a dvd drive).

The new HD releases are only for Windows, so they won't work for you now, but they will if you get that new Intel Mac and install Windows on it. (I think the latest macs actually ship with Windows installed)

Once you get that far and realize "hey, this doesn't play the same as I remember it from the arcades!" then come back here and we'll help you get daphne running with your digital leisure product(s).

Hi Chip!
Thanks for writing back!
First of all, my iMac has Superdrive (which is, of course, a DVD player AND DVD burner).
The DL, SA, and DLII games I DO have here at home right now all say "XBOX COMPATIBLE" and they all have the "DVD VIDEO GAME" logo. I bought those discs (a couple or three years ago) simply because I could just watch them (in "watch mode"). I knew I could play them on XBOX, and I have tried, but the game play is rather sluggish.
Do I need the "DVD-ROM" versions of DL, SA and DLII for Mac if I want to play them on my current iMac? If so, do you know if they will play "just like the arcade" on my iMac? Also, are the DVD-ROM (for Mac) versions similar to the 20th Anniversary set?? I do know that I can order directly from Digital Leisure. If I need the Mac DVD-ROM versions, will I be able to download a certain DAPHNE emulator into my iMac in order to play?
As for the Mac Pro, it's gonna be a while til I can get one...a year or two.
I want a Mac Pro powerful enough for medical imaging software.

Hope to hear back from you soon...thanks again!

Jodi

PS. My iMac has the nVIDIA GeForce 4 GPU, I run OSX Tiger, my internal memory is 1.024 GB DDR-SDRAM, and I still have about 55 GB free space in my hard drive.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:56 am 
Registered  User

Hey Chip,
Thanks for your e-mail.
It sounds like the only things I need to play DL and SA on my iMac (which does have a DVD player) is the 20th Anniversary DL 3-disc DVD set, and with that, no need for Daphne.
I'll give it a try....if I need help, I'll see what I can do to download Daphne (with your help).
I'll try to order the above mentioned 20th Ann. set from Digital Leisure in about a week or two.
I'll keep you all apprised.

Jodi

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:23 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

the 20th anniversary editions won't play any less sluggish than the discs you have. They're still DVD-Video.

I really don't know much about getting daphne running on an old mac. If I were you, I'd try the old mac port first before ordering new discs. Good luck.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:50 pm 
Registered  User

chip wrote:
the 20th anniversary editions won't play any less sluggish than the discs you have. They're still DVD-Video.

I really don't know much about getting daphne running on an old mac. If I were you, I'd try the old mac port first before ordering new discs. Good luck.

OK, I will not order the 20th Ann. set.
One of my nieces is a Windows user. I can try to have her do the DAPHNE conversion for me and then copy it's converted files to the Mac.
Does that sound good enough?

Jodi

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:20 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

yeah, you could try that. I'm more worried about daphn itself running on an old mac. It's worth a shot though.

Offline Profile