It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DL and SA: XBOX 360 may be the answer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:15 pm 
Registered  User

I had a really good conversation with a guy from Digital Leisure today. He told me that they have had cool experiences with the DVD-Video versions of DL, SA, and DLII on XBOX 360. He says the 360 sports much shorter pauses and less sluggish play than the regular XBOX.
I do not have a 360 yet, so I'll look forward to trying them out in due time.
It makes sense because the 360 processes at much greater speeds than the regular XBOX.
We have already theorized how the upcoming PlayStation 3 will do with these games...of course, we can only theorize on that now, but he says that the PS2 plays the games faster and better than the regular XBOX! So it will be interesting to see when PS3 comes out.
So if any of you have 360s, give 'em a try and let us know your experiences with it.

Jodi

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:53 am 
Registered  User

i have a 360, but don't have a dvd of the games.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:21 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

I tried your suggestion, and wow, the Xbox360 plays the DVD-Videos better than any DVD player I've ever seen. The pauses are very slight and in some cases not there at all.

However, the Xbox360 was practically made for HD... and since I've been playing DLHD, the old DVDs look really blah. I'd rather see Digital Leisure make a real Xbox360 disc with the HD footage. :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:57 pm 
Registered  User

chip wrote:
I tried your suggestion, and wow, the Xbox360 plays the DVD-Videos better than any DVD player I've ever seen. The pauses are very slight and in some cases not there at all.

However, the Xbox360 was practically made for HD... and since I've been playing DLHD, the old DVDs look really blah. I'd rather see Digital Leisure make a real Xbox360 disc with the HD footage. :)

First, I'm glad to hear (from your perspective as THE Daphne developer) that the 360 DOES play them well...it sounds like it's better than I could have imagined!!
And, it's funny that you should mention HD...in fact, I did think about HD hours and hours before reading your 360 post!! (spooky!) :P With the XBOX 360 HD-DVD unit coming out later this year, and the Sony PS3 with it's Blu-Ray built in on the way, I would like to think that Digital Leisure will work on DL, DLII, and SA in HD-DVD and Blu-Ray disc formats.
What I'll do is call up Digital Leisure today and find out about those possibilities. Stay tuned......

Jodi

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:40 pm 
Registered  User

With the XBOX 360 HD-DVD unit coming out later this year, and the Sony PS3 with it's Blu-Ray built in on the way, I would like to think that Digital Leisure will work on DL, DLII, and SA in HD-DVD and Blu-Ray disc formats.
What I'll do is call up Digital Leisure today and find out about those possibilities. Stay tuned......

Just got a hold of Digital Leisure. There is nothing official yet regarding HD-DVD and Blu-Ray versions of DL, SA, and DLII, but I passed along the suggestion to our friends in Gormby, Ontario, Canada.
I'm pretty confident we'll eventually see these games in HD for XBOX 360 and PS3 someday. :)

Jodi

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:22 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Dvd-hd definately... blueray, probably not.

My reasoning? Any storage format that sony has ever came out with has become defunct in less than 6 months in the US (to be more accurate, anywhere but Japan). Blue ray players are going to be expensive, as is the ps3, while dvd-hd and their players are realitively cheap. Also the actual hd-dvd discs are cheaper to manufacture. Finally by all accounts the ps3 is gonna be a flop.

Unless there is some miracle blueray will be the next beta max. for that matter dvd-hd might be too. The thing is most people don't have hd televisions yet due to lack of hd programming. I new format that is actually stable (as in it isn't going anywhere) is at least 2 years off. Thus why DL doesn't have any plans yet.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:00 am 
Registered  User

HowardC wrote:
Dvd-hd definately... blueray, probably not.

My reasoning? Any storage format that sony has ever came out with has become defunct in less than 6 months in the US (to be more accurate, anywhere but Japan). Blue ray players are going to be expensive, as is the ps3, while dvd-hd and their players are realitively cheap. Also the actual hd-dvd discs are cheaper to manufacture. Finally by all accounts the ps3 is gonna be a flop.

Unless there is some miracle blueray will be the next beta max. for that matter dvd-hd might be too. The thing is most people don't have hd televisions yet due to lack of hd programming. I new format that is actually stable (as in it isn't going anywhere) is at least 2 years off. Thus why DL doesn't have any plans yet.

I think you made a good point.
The first major test for sales of Blu-Ray players (in particular), as well as HD-DVD players, will be the coming holiday season. Then in January or February (at the latest), we will see the numbers of BR and HD-DVD players sold during that critical period.
Therefore, I think Digital Leisure will wisely sit back and see what happens.

Jodi

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:14 pm 
Registered  User

Yeah I tried it the other day and noticed how smooth it was. Only problem that I had was the controll did not seem as responsive. I was playing DL2 on it and I would constantly die even when I was doing the correct input. And the on screen DVD menu would pop up for me always at the worst times also causing me to die since the input would not work.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:43 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Well that's a limitation of dvd technology. Which is why I was never particularly fond of any of the DL products. Great footage, horrible programming.

You best bet is still to just rip your footage and use it in daphne. :)

Offline Profile