It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Daphne 1.0 and Space Ace
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:04 am 
Registered  User

If I had already converted my Space Ace DVD using Dvd2Daph, should I go ahead and download the "official" version using the new Daphne? I'm trying it anyways, but since it's taking a bit to download, I figured I'd ask.

When it says it will require the DVD, is that just initially or each time you play it?

Thanks!
Matthew

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:27 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

The version provided by Daphne is a laserdisc capture and IMO is superior. This is also the only supported version from here on out. I would use the DVD2Daph version until the others have finished unless you don't plan to play before it's done.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:11 pm 
Registered  User

Ahh...thanks!

How about the DVD? (I suppose I'll find out in a little while ;))

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:00 am 
Registered  User

On a related note, after space ace had finished downloading (took about 16 hours!) it prompted for my space ace dvd. After putting it in it a dialog window popped up with "Please Wait" and lots of "Converting e:\SADVDROM\spa052.VOB" lines. I thought I had downloaded a version of the MPEG already? What is it doing at this step?

Edit: Well it is clearly using the video that I downloaded b/c it looks significantly better! I was really surprised with how much less pixelated it looked and the colors looked darker and less washed out.

This got me pumped to perhaps pick up the HD version of dragon's lair. Does Daphne 1.0 support using this? And if you use it, do you get an HD download off the torrent or does it just use the standard laserdisc one that space ace uses.

Thanks,
Matthew

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:45 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

The DL HD disc isn't supported at this time and even it was, it would not get you higher quality video. I know people are going to want this but for now I have no plans to do anything about it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:52 pm 
Registered  User

By not supported, does that mean I couldn't even play the laserdisc version from the torrent? Meaning would it not qualify to allow me to play with the downloaded content? Because I thought the space ace quality was great, and would probably buy the HD dragon's lair just for having a better original and just use the torrented laserdisc version for daphne.

Thanks and for someone who loved space ace as a kid, thanks ;)

-Matthew

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:21 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

mcollins27 wrote:
By not supported, does that mean I couldn't even play the laserdisc version from the torrent? Meaning would it not qualify to allow me to play with the downloaded content?

That's it exactly...right now the HD version will NOT unlock the downloaded content.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:52 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Well I thought I'd go ahead and download the m2v for Draon's Lair after reading that you're using a real laserdisc capture and it's superior. I finally got it all downloaded. When I go to run it, it says I have to insert a DL DVD disc. I suppose there is no way around that? I don't have my DVD's anymore. I haven't used them in years since I've used Daphne and converted the files to work with it. I found the DVD's useless since I preferred using Daphne on my computer.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:11 am 
Registered  User

Quote:
That's it exactly...right now the HD version will NOT unlock the downloaded content.

Oh that's too bad...now the conundrum of buying the old DVD or a new DVD... :(

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:17 am 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

mcollins27 wrote:
Quote:

Oh that's too bad...now the conundrum of buying the old DVD or a new DVD... :(

I'm in the same boat -- as soon as I installed and loaded up the new Daphne beta and it said I had to insert my original DVD, hmmm.... I didn't have it anymore. :-?

Oh well, today I placed an order from Digital Leisure for the 20th Anniversary DVD video pack (DL1, 2 and SA) and Thayer's Quest DVD video. I hope the people at Digital Leisure appreciate the work Matt is doing, because I'll bet they are going to make more than a few sales from this new version of Daphne!

Now the wait for the DVDs to arrive is killing me! :cry:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:07 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

You guys did see the warning message stating that a DVD would be required before you started downloading, right?

I don't want people to just click OK without reading the message and then complain that they didn't know that a DVD would be required.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:03 pm 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

Matt Ownby wrote:
You guys did see the warning message stating that a DVD would be required before you started downloading, right?

I don't want people to just click OK without reading the message and then complain that they didn't know that a DVD would be required.

Matt... the way it's worded is that owners of the DVDs would be able to play Digital Leisure-approved videos, but during the install the torrent process installs what seems to be videos. I don't remember anything saying the DVDs were required, so I guess there was an element of wishful thinking on my end... :oops: Not your fault, obviously!

But let me stress... I have no problems buying (actually, re-buying) the DVDs at all! In fact, I'm so excited to be playing through these again. Thanks again for what you are doing here!!!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:42 am 
Registered  User

Quote:

Yup :) I'm not downloading anything DL until I have a DVD.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:52 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Actually you should go ahead and download it while you're waiting so when you DO receive your DVDs you can just authenticate and play :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:15 am 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

Layer wrote:
Actually you should go ahead and download it while you're waiting so when you DO receive your DVDs you can just authenticate and play :D

I second that.... it took me about 24 hours to download the torrent. That's not an exaggeration, it was literately one complete day. :o If you are on a network, you have to have port TCP 6881 open to the computer you are installing on. This is something I've never dealt with before and it's not hard (links to instructions are built into the beta), but at the same time it involved some learning on my end because I've never dealt with torrenting (word?) before.

But I'm learning, and when my computer sits idle I open the Daphne Loader because I believe it assists in seeding this program for other people. Is that assumption correct?

Side note: because Windows Vista has completely dropped DOS, many of the tests to see if the port is open aren't available, which added to my confusion. I'm still not sure if I understand or if I have that port open. :-?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:02 pm 
Registered  User

Hello to everybody,i would have a stupid question,i can't understand exactly why someone needs to retrieve the laser game from internet,i can't understand the need,if next you must insert the original DVD,what is the sense of this new feature ?If i've the dvd,i could convert it using dvd2daphne tool and next play it whith the emulator. Sorry if i'm annoing someone,but really it seems strange to me :

- Does internet files contain new features ?
- Is that for involving people to buy L. games ?
- Is that for semplifing life of a new gamer who can't use dvd2daphne ?

or other motivations i can'see now,

Thank you,
best greetings
Albert

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:43 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

1) This feature IS for making life simpler.

2) DVD2Daph has never been officially supported by Daphne. Use it if you want but you will not receive any official support for it.

3) The captures provided by Daphne are superior to the DVD2Daph conversions -Period.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:03 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

DaverJ wrote:
But I'm learning, and when my computer sits idle I open the Daphne Loader because I believe it assists in seeding this program for other people. Is that assumption correct?

That is correct, and is very much appreciated.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:06 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

albatros wrote:
Hello to everybody,i would have a stupid question,i can't understand exactly why someone needs to retrieve the laser game from internet,i can't understand the need

The purpose is to make it easy for any newbie to play Dragon's Lair with Daphne.

Advanced users can use any method they want to play Dragon's Lair with Daphne, as long as they don't ask us for help :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:55 pm 
Registered  User

Hi Matt,could you please tell me what type of check does daphne perform to assure the DVD/CD of the laser game is correct to proceeed with conversion ?
I'd like to understand a bit the mechanism.

Thank you
:P

Offline Profile  

Post subject: 20th anniversary boxset not working
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:39 pm 
Registered  User

Looks like I'm going to have to revert back to the previous release and using my rips from DVD2Daph. After taking about 8 hrs to download necessary files, then it went thru some type of conversion process only to tell me my disc is not supported or has errors. I have the 20th anniversary box set (That I bought to use for Daphne) It has only been played twice and kept in it's box. So I can assure you it doesn't have errors. I would be more than happy to take a picture of my box set to prove it is legit. I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 2 with 1GB of RAM. Any help would be appreciated before I try the new Daphne again. Waiting 8 hrs to play a game then being denied is just a hair short of criminal :D I am afraid to try the other games. I tried Space Ace first (Favoirite) I guess worst case scenario I could use both versions, I read somewhere that esh looks very good!!!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 20th anniversary boxset not working
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:48 pm 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

DJ-Infinity wrote:
Looks like I'm going to have to revert back to the previous release and using my rips from DVD2Daph. After taking about 8 hrs to download necessary files, then it went thru some type of conversion process only to tell me my disc is not supported or has errors. I have the 20th anniversary box set (That I bought to use for Daphne) It has only been played twice and kept in it's box. So I can assure you it doesn't have errors. I would be more than happy to take a picture of my box set to prove it is legit. I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 2 with 1GB of RAM. Any help would be appreciated before I try the new Daphne again. Waiting 8 hrs to play a game then being denied is just a hair short of criminal :D I am afraid to try the other games. I tried Space Ace first (Favoirite) I guess worst case scenario I could use both versions, I read somewhere that esh looks very good!!!

Ouch, that sucks Infinity! Which version of the 20th anniversary do you have, the DVD-ROM or the DVD-video version? I have the video version and it works fine.

Also, Esh works good but the game pales compared to Space Ace. I have never played the arcade version, but the button/stick responses through Daph are slow to respond -- I have to keep the button/stick held longer than it seems like it should. But this is something to get used to, and it's worth it to play the game. The voice acting in the English version is delightfully BAD, as is the music! :lol:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:54 pm 
Registered  User

I have the DVD video version.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:00 pm 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

DJ-Infinity wrote:
I have the DVD video version.

:o That's strange... all I can report is I use the DVD-video version of the 20th Anniversary box set & Thayers on Daph 1.0b with no probs. I'm running Vista, but I would think XP would work better.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:09 pm 
Registered  User

Be warned before you go to the chat channel for help. they want you to try ALL the games in the beta before you go there for help. I installed Daphne on a new computer so I didn't load any of the other mpegs. IE astron belt etc. I am well aware that the loader downloads something for digital leisure games. But before I could explain that my computer was new and I hadn't tried anything else I got banned. I kept my cool and the guy that banned me finally listened. So I am now in the process of putting the other mpegs on my computer to try them in the new beta. I don't what difference it will make but I guess it'll make him happy. :-?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:11 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

If your disc doesn't seem to be working, then go here: http://daphne-emu.com/dvd_scan.php and send me a scan of the disc in question.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: well
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:34 am 
Registered  User

i was wondering. is there a reason that in the fourth stage, the beginning part of the scene where you dodge the red laser light is missing and it just goes straight to ace or dexter decision part?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:44 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Maybe depends on your difficulty setting?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: one more thing
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:44 pm 
Registered  User

I don't think so. I'll try that though. Also is there any way to manually parse all files. I am playing Dragon's Lair and when I get to a part I haven't been to it parses that part real quick. Better to have it all parsed at once.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:41 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

To have Daphne re-parse your video...

Go to the directory where the video is kept and delete the .dat files and then use daphneloader to re-run the game. It should re-parse the video for you.

If you are using the supplied video for DL,DL2,SA, or TQ then there will be only 1 .dat file in each of the game directories.

If you are using your own capture then your mileage will vary.

Offline Profile